Rust-Oleum Bedliner on Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It turned out well for a set of wheels so now I'm going to try and spruce up my running boards. I was able to remove the step pads without breaking them by using an auto trim removal tool to pry them up...98262d6d99b3a85161392cb0f4a13640.jpgbaefb10679f597c8a354fca9726dd616.jpg38f3ec478ab1dc5f56316542711be88f.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Amazing how the proper tools help lol.. Glad they got off without breaking, Saved you a few $$$ :) When you do your boards Pics will be a MUST :) Prep is the key for a good bond with bed liner. Just like paint ! But I am sure you already know that :O

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just curious how old the running boards are? I put my first set on this new Ram and am afraid of them rotting out. I sprayed an oil based undercoating all in the inside of the tube hoping that will keep it protected from the inside.

Your wheels looked like they came out good, I'll be watching your progress on the steps.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just curious how old the running boards are? I put my first set on this new Ram and am afraid of them rotting out. I sprayed an oil based undercoating all in the inside of the tube hoping that will keep it protected from the inside.

Your wheels looked like they came out good, I'll be watching your progress on the steps.
They were put on in March, 2015. It appears all of the rust is coming from under the step pads themselves.

The company actually already sent me a brand new set under warranty but I hate letting things go to waste and I think the Rust-Oleum textured finish will look better than the original.

Thanks for the interest! I want to get this done this week but I'll also be applying this to treat the rust so this may push into next week...

Permatex 81773 Rust Treatment , 16 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBNX38/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FWd0BbH4GG6WD

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Good idea on the rust treatment. What brand steps did you have, nice to know they stand behind their product.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good idea on the rust treatment. What brand steps did you have, nice to know they stand behind their product.
Raptor is the brand and warranty replacement was no hassle 2-day freight. She only asked me to email pictures and within an hour I had shipping confirmation.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok, I used this to clean up the rust and prepare the surface for paint.

3M Paint and Rust Stripper Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQT4UK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dGo0BbY1ZYB80

It worked very well. It cleaned up the rust and took away any loose paint while leaving the paint that still had a good hold (ruffed it up too).

I then applied the aforementioned rust treatment which turned both bare metal and rust, black in color. You can see in one of the pictures what it looks like as it reacts with the metal. I used two thin coats, painted on by brush to apply the treatment. The stuff is weird, there is something solid in the bottle, it pours out slowly but has the consistency and coloration of a Yoo-hoo and as it dries it almost feels like brushing on dish soap. Seems to work great and dries to a matte black finish.

I have to wait 24 hours before the rust treatment can take paint so hopefully these are Painted tomorrow and back on the truck by Friday...168a3b1cf2a6e7defd86804b33a8387b.jpg174caafe98ae7caad181fe69e2861f6e.jpg0bcabcf42c9fa96925f7cce9c33ea49a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
24 hours later...1cd21eddf840c3b3ea7ddaf202123afd.jpgd221e6a2e58669d7662eca36b40c5ef0.jpg03e77f11629845796da92c5ed1e8aab3.jpg

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know I said I'd put them on tomorrow, but it's much cooler than it has been and when it's applied to the truck bed you're supposed to wait a week to let it cure fully for heavy loads. I'm pushing 280lbs before breakfast so I'll let them sit for a week before putting the pads back on and reattaching them to the truck.

For anyone wondering why I didn't make the rough pitted areas smoother, those areas will be under the pads so out of sight out of mind.

I am wondering if there is something to apply to the underside of each pad to reduce the wear on the painted surface? They are a relatively soft plastic but most of the rust was coming from underneath the pads. The most rusted was the driver front pad...

Spindrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Nice, should look pretty sweet when you get them all back together and back on the truck. My old ones on my 2007 rusted pretty much the same way. That's the reason I decided to with aluminum ones on the new truck...

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Looks like it came out good.

Maybe some grease under the pads? Or just plan to pop the pads off once a year and touch up the paint.

I would recommend to spray the insides of the tubes with something like fluid film to protect from rust from the inside out.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks like it came out good.

Maybe some grease under the pads? Or just plan to pop the pads off once a year and touch up the paint.

I would recommend to spray the insides of the tubes with something like fluid film to protect from rust from the inside out.
Good idea, you read my mind. I was actually wondering about a Krown treatment as I know they "mist" the interior panels. I think they sell spray cans too.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ha! Search for Krown on Amazon and Fluid Film pops up! Maybe I should get a bulk pack and that'll be my next project?

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Fluid film seems to be the top choice in my area. I bought myself a spray gun and a few gallons of Corrosion Free this year and sprayed me and my wife's new vehicles this fall. Had some left over so sprayed that in my steps also before I installed them.

Fluid film is a good product for sure. The aerosol cans are more expensive but if your not going to be applying it often its probably not worth investing in a spray gun.

OP
OP
SitKneelBend

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fluid film seems to be the top choice in my area. I bought myself a spray gun and a few gallons of Corrosion Free this year and sprayed me and my wife's new vehicles this fall. Had some left over so sprayed that in my steps also before I installed them.

Fluid film is a good product for sure. The aerosol cans are more expensive but if your not going to be applying it often its probably not worth investing in a spray gun.
Yeah, I'm actually thinking about just paying Krown to do it for me. It's $150 for my truck. Seems reasonable...

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yeah, I'm actually thinking about just paying Krown to do it for me. It's $150 for my truck. Seems reasonable...

Yes, if your up north and have any exposure to salt it's well worth the investment. Definitely go with a krown/fluid film type product that won't dry, never something that hardens like a rubberized coating.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in PA and wouldnt reccomend fluid film if you plan on working on ykur own truck. Stuff is nasty! Just buy about 10-12 cans of spray on bedliner and spray the underneath of your truck instead.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I live in PA and wouldnt reccomend fluid film if you plan on working on ykur own truck. Stuff is nasty! Just buy about 10-12 cans of spray on bedliner and spray the underneath of your truck instead.
That's my question. Does this leave an oily coating? It sounds like it does and, if so, I see two problems: 1)How do you spot actual oil leaks and 2)How messy is it to work on a treated truck?