Stellantis’ new Ram pickup is an EV — with a gas-powered generator in case the battery runs out. The end of the Hemi???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1700236561009.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten
  • Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first pickup for its Ram Trucks brand that’s equipped with an onboard gas engine and electric generator.
  • The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until the vehicle’s battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle after its initial charge.
  • Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis characterized the new Ram 1500 Ramcharger pickup as the “ultimate answer for battery-electric trucks.”

DETROIT — Automaker Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first electric pickup truck called the Ram 1500 Ramcharger that’s equipped with an electric generator and a gas engine.
If that sounds like an oxymoron, here’s how it works: The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until its battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 27-gallon, 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle.

The outcome is a truck with the benefits of an EV, such as fast acceleration and some zero-emissions driving, without the range anxiety synonymous with most current electric vehicles, according to Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis.
“This is the ultimate answer for the battery-electric truck. No one else has got anything else like it,” Kuniskis told reporters during an event. “This is going to be a game changer for battery-electric trucks.”
The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is expected to go on sale in late 2024 alongside a previously revealed all-electric Ram 1500 truck without a gas-powered engine or range-extending electric generator.
Stellantis estimates the range of the Ramcharger to be up to 690 miles, including up to 145 miles powered by a 92 kilowatt-hour battery when fully charged without the extended-range power from the gas engine and 130 kilowatt electric generator.
That range compares with up to an expected 500-mile range of the all-electric Ram 1500 REV pickup. It also tops the current Ram 1500, which has a 3.6-liter V-6 engine and an up to 26-gallon tank with a total range of up to 546 miles, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Stellantis did not announce pricing of the Ramcharger, which was revealed Tuesday as part of a redesign of current gasoline-powered Ram 1500 pickups for the 2025 model year.

‘Not a PHEV’​

Kuniskis said the Ramcharger is meant as a bridge between traditional trucks with internal combustion engines and all-electric ones, which currently face significant hurdles regarding charging infrastructure and range anxiety, especially when the vehicles are towing — a main reason to purchase a truck.
Such improvements could be a differentiator for the brand, according to Stephanie Brinley, associate director of AutoIntelligence for S&P Global Mobility.
“It works to address the fact that right now the industry and the pickup truck segment in particular is not ready to just flip to EVs 100%,” she said. “It addresses some of those performance and range anxiety concerns, and it’s strong.— But the difficult part is going to be getting consumers to really understand what it does.”

1700236863330.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten

Similar propulsion technology — referred to as extended-range electric vehicles, or EREVs — is available in overseas markets, specifically China. It’s also similarly been offered in vehicles such as the discontinued Chevrolet Volt sedan from General Motors.

Stellantis engineers said the main difference between the technology of the Ramcharger and the Volt is that the truck is being exclusively propelled by electric motors, not the vehicle’s engine, once the battery dies. It’s also expected to be the first application of it in a production full-size pickup truck.

The Ramcharger features 663 horsepower and 615 foot-pounds of torque and can achieve 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds, Stellantis said. The truck will be capable of bidirectional charging, where the vehicle acts as a generator to power appliances or even an entire home, the company said.

Kuniskis, who also leads Stellantis’ Dodge brand, declined to comment on whether the technology of the Ramcharger will be used in other vehicles. Other Stellantis brands include Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat in the U.S.

The Ramcharger operates differently from current plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, or PHEVs, that offer a range of all-electric driving, followed by an engine powering the vehicle after the battery is depleted.

“The Ramcharger is not a PHEV,” Kuniskis said. “It’s a battery-electric truck with its own onboard, high-speed charger.”

“There’s no connection between the engine and the wheels,” he said. “The gas generator is only there to charge the battery.”

Ram’s truck strategy is different from its leading competitors GM and Ford Motor. The latter is offering traditional, hybrid and all-electric versions of its F-150 full-size truck, while GM has said it plans to transition from traditional trucks to electric ones without the use of hybrids.

Stellantis currently offers PHEV versions of vehicles such as the Chrysler Pacifica minivan and Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs.

1700236998246.png
Ram’s 2023 Super Bowl ad debuts the production version of the Ram 1500 REV electric pickup that is expected to go on sale in late 2024.

Bye-bye Hemi​

The design of the Ramcharger is a mix between the all-electric Ram 1500 REV and the refreshed gas versions of the traditional trucks, which will be available early next year.
The Ramcharger includes illuminated lines across its grille from the headlamps, new badging that debuted on the all-electric truck and other design and facia elements between the two.
For the traditional Ram 1500 models, the biggest change is the company is dropping its well-known Hemi V-8. Replacing the current 5.7-liter Hemi engine offered in the truck will be a twin-turbocharged, inline-six-cylinder engine called the Hurricane.

“Some customers are going to be upset that you’re not going to have a Hemi in there,” Kuniskis said. “Sure, the Hemi’s an absolute legend. Americans love the Hemi, but this thing flat out outperforms the Hemi.”

The 3.0-liter Hurricane engine is rated at 420 horsepower and 469 foot-pounds of torque, while a high-output version of the engine is rated at 540 horsepower and 521 foot-pounds of torque. That compares with the current V-8 Hemi at 395 horsepower and 410 foot-pounds of torque.

Inline-, or straight-, six-cylinder engines have been used in U.S. vehicles by automakers such as BMW and Jaguar, however, they’re far from mainstream in the U.S.

Other changes to the trucks include a new luxury model called Tungsten and a performance variant called RHO replacing Ram’s high-output TRX pickup that is equipped with a Hemi 6.2-liter V-8 capable of 702 horsepower and 650 foot-pounds of torque.

Article courtesy of Michael Wayland with CNBC.com

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I've posted my reasons for wanting one in other threads discussing the Ramcharger. And they do not include saving the world LOL. Using it as a home generator and the performance numbers are the main reasons for me. Not to mention with the advertised battery range I'd easily get to work and home on one charge, plug it in for the night, rinse and repeat. I would rarely need to visit a gas station. I don't see the downside unless the price puts it out of range for me. Sounds like it will be available in pretty much every trim level so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. And last but not least, even though it's and EV I wouldn't be tied to charging stations or need to plan trips around them.
A regular cab, 6 foot box would definitely push me over the edge!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This actually gives me hope I can buy a truck that will work for me. Putting 1000km or more on my truck in a day is not unusual so full electric makes me think of how much time it would cost me in my travels. Seems like a clever loophole to fill a need for now. Truck technically is a full electric. Just happens to have a built in generator. My fear is the epa will try to close the loophole. Also, the weight of the truck concerns me.

EMdoc12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Not sure about buying the first model year but this would allow me to merge two vehicles into one. Love my Tesla for commuting to work and running errands around town. Need a truck too though for towing the travel trailer on occasion.

Part of me wants to just keep two vehicles and get a new truck but the other half is telling me to just go for the RamCharger.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
For those in the northland, we know why pure EV won't work for any vehicle except short commuters. City of Duluth learned the hard way (as did City of Minneapolis) with expensive all electric bus experiment.

Same holds for pickup trucks. Facts (and physics) do not cease to exist if ignored.

Transit officials in the Twin Cities and Duluth are learning, however, that by some other measures, e-buses aren't as efficient as buses they're meant to replace.

"We're still paying more on a per-mile basis for electric than for diesel," said Carrie Desmond, the head of electric bus infrastructure at Metro Transit in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

The combination of cold temperatures and steep hills, which demand more power from an engine, meant that batteries were draining before a driving shift was complete. They learned the first generation of e-buses performed best when temperatures ranged from 40 to 65 degrees.

"What we learned through the pilot program is they were not a one-for-one replacement for our diesel fleet," Clark said. In August, it overhauled its entire system to adapt to post-pandemic demand and, in that process, optimized several routes for e-buses. It recently ordered about a dozen new diesel buses.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Transit officials in the Twin Cities and Duluth are learning, however, that by some other measures, e-buses aren't as efficient as buses they're meant to replace.
Wow you have ties to Duluth, Twin Ports, been obsessed with the great lakes freighters mostly Bow/ Wheelhouse like the Edmond Fitzgerald sitting at 530ft deep in Superior and others still in great condition.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EVs....government pushed, mandated Cluster F***. Ill fated solution, where no problem exists.

All this EV stuff is simply stoopid, on steroids.

There is NO shortage of oil, for diesel or gasoline. ICE engines are not harming anything. ICE engines deliver everything the consumer needs, wants.

EVs are NOT green. Infrastructure can NOT support EVs, on a massive scale. Electricity to charge EVs is iffy at best. EV cost is obscene.

So now, to satisfy Green B*S, Ram will have an EV truck, with an engine and generator.

^^^ Think about that. EV alone, is NOT the answer. So add an engine and generator. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

^^^ Can NOT make up the stoopidity. Absolutely void of Logic.

The Kickbacks from the feds, to auto makers, including Stelantis are getting, must be Huge. Betcha, Green New Deal = Slush fund.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's not about shortage of hydrocarbons - it's about too much CO2 in the atmosphere. Educate before commenting, please.
My point is the pundit worship of EV = utopia is stupid.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not about shortage of hydrocarbons >>> AGREE.

- it's about too much CO2 in the atmosphere. >>> Feds and pundits would like everyone to drink this Kool-Aid.

Educate before commenting, please. >>> GREAT idea. For ALL.

My point is the pundit worship of EV = utopia is stupid. >>> AGREE. Also applies to Feds worshipping EVs, wind, solar...

Here, moving on. Rather than get wrapped up in political whatever AND never ending back and forth.

Will read any comments posted in the future for information, AND occasional entertainment.

Last edited:

6speedcummins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is the best set up for a truck. It's almost exactly how a train locomotive works. They have diesel engines that turn generators, that make electricity that power the motors on the wheels. And just look at how muck work trains do and how efficiently they do it. This new truck will be basically like driving a small train engine lol.

Plus I love the idea of being able to use the truck as a back up generator for my house if the power goes out. Ford started this a few years ago with their "Power Boost" model. You also get the option of charging it yourself or just keeping gas in the tank and letting the engine do the charging. 14k pounds of towing as well?

I think this truck is going to be a home run, I just hope the price isn't more than what I bought my house for.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lot of hate for something people don't have to buy. There is some sense to this truck, it would allow me to run mostly electric around town and plug in my garage at night, so filling up would be almost non-existent for that use. I would have to see payload figure for the actual truck variant I would consider to see if this becomes a second vehicle or could replace my 2500. By the time this gets to the 2nd or 3rd year out, which is when I would first consider, I will be letting the boy take my 2500 so will need something new then. Could switch when I need more towing capacity but for most driving then, smart move.

Also do like the alternative power source. I just don't like all the electronics on the units, hope to see a less involved Tradesman type option.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Cat797 haul truck. Actually most heavy haul trucks are diesel/electric just add a battery. It’s not really a new idea but it is in a pickup.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
so filling up would be almost non-existent for that use.

You would probably get to the point you need to drive it on gas mode to make sure the fuel doesn't go bad. The E10 that a lot of places mandate will stat going bad by six months. That would my biggest concern with any plug in hybrid and this truck with the extended battery range would be the worse.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ev..What a farce... Saw a ford lightening on the side of the road 30 seconds driver from a few fast food stores.....Wished i had my ph with me cause i would snapped a pic....
Anyways it was on side of the road with a lil gas can and a honda generator charging it up...There was a gas/charge station just a cpl minutes behind him then the next would be 15 min ahead of him.....
Yet he was parked on the side if a busy highway with his lil honda gen rechargeing his ev ford f150....What a joke..

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ev..What a farce... Saw a ford lightening on the side of the road 30 seconds driver from a few fast food stores.....Wished i had my ph with me cause i would snapped a pic....
Anyways it was on side of the road with a lil gas can and a honda generator charging it up...There was a gas/charge station just a cpl minutes behind him then the next would be 15 min ahead of him.....
Yet he was parked on the side if a busy highway with his lil honda gen rechargeing his ev ford f150....What a joke..
Yeah, I suppose if someone were the type of person that doesn’t pay attention to their fuel gauge, and has a habit of running out of gas all the time, then an EV probably wouldn’t be ideal for them.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You mean you just drove by and didn't stop to offer him a gallon of electricity?

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d buy one to not buy 100 gallons of fuel a month. my fear is they are going to price this thing to mean they get the $300/mo instead of the oil company. I am not dumb enough to think I will get to keep any savings. Our Tesla is also imperceptible on the electric bill. Approaching 40k miles on it 2.5 years on. Whether the car is that efficient or the electricity that cheap compares to fuel, I don’t care. It’s an amazing car all around.