subs/amp questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
im thinking about installing 2 subs in the storage areas under my back seat (quad cab).
how labor intensive is wiring the subs and an amp? would i have to remove the center console? is mounting the amp under the drivers seat a good spot? will it overheat under there?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated? or links to a thread with pics?

thanks
joey

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
No need to remove anything. And from what I can see when mine was done. It's not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so the under seat sub boxes for 02-08 will work in the 4th gens? If so im gettin one two!

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My amp is under my seat and I've never had a problem.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
that i dont know. hopefully someone will chime in.

does the stock mygig stereo have preamp outputs?

no. you either have to buy the locpic or use a line level converter. I just used the sub plug and converted it with a line level converter and sounds just fine

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
no. you either have to buy the locpic or use a line level converter. I just used the sub plug and converted it with a line level converter and sounds just fine

the locpic has pre-amp outputs? i knew it had rca's for video, but didn't think it had pre-amp outputs

also the wire kit in that ebay auction is crappy.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so will a underseat qc box for an 02-08 fit a 4th gen?

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got my JL under my seat and no issues at all. Good place imo, easier to adjust.

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

Voodoochi1d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check out my install from 2 weeks ago,
I went around my a$$ to get to my elbow installing, lol, but I have dual 10" sub enclosure under rear seat, sub amp under passenger seat, and 4 channel amp under driver seat.
I have 0 gauge branching off Distribution block to dual 4 gauge running to each amp.
I installed 4 JL Audio 6x9 in doors, and have to say, after I resolved a PAC controller issue, and figured out my dash speakers (factory) were causing issues, the system sounds pretty damn good. Im going to be adding a Kenetic Battery under rear seat however. I no longer have the severe lights dimming, and voltage drops however I can tell that the amps are feeling a little deprived of power when I am driving at night, using wipers and heat or AC.

As far as labor goes, I took front seats and console out cause this was my first solo install and I wanted to make sure I was able to hide all cables.
I need to get in and take some more pics, but aside from the RF Bass Knob being installed and recessed inside the dash change pocket, everything is as stealth as possible. The knob can only be seen if you are sitting inside truck as well.

In order to just install amp and dual subs, you will not have to remove the seats, just pull the head unit and install line out converter, run RCAs and turn on lead, run power from Battery to amp. Carpet lifts in many locations enough to tuck and hide all cables, you can run speaker wire under carpet into the under-seat location, and install you Sub Enclosure.

Good luck, and dont forget pics...

Voodoochi1d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot, the enclosure I have came out of a 2006 Dodge Ram quad cab.
yes all boxes designed to fit 04-08 quad cabs will work in 4th gen quad cabs.

Also keep note that my system is only rated at 1000 RMS, although Rockford under rates their amps. The 4th Gen Ram I have came with 160amp Alternator. The electrical/charging system does not seem to like adding anything that is going to pull allot of power. Adding an upgraded battery and maybe even adding a second internal battery dedicated to the audio system may make the difference between liking what you spend allot of time and money on and loving it.

OP
OP
jojo750

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
thank you for the info.
did you keep the stock radio in the truck? if so, how do you run the amp to it?

Voodoochi1d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes, I kept factory head unit. I purchased a PAC Audio harness that is specific to our trucks. It is a T-Harness that adds RCA front and rear, and a remote turn on lead without having to cut any factory wires.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
yes, I kept factory head unit. I purchased a PAC Audio harness that is specific to our trucks. It is a T-Harness that adds RCA front and rear, and a remote turn on lead without having to cut any factory wires.

Link?

Voodoochi1d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine