VIPMoto Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I have a strange problem. I got my truck used and the headlights were trashed. I looked around and ended up buying the VIPMoto lights to match the factory projectors. Looked good and I just left the bulbs in that they came with while I looked for better bulbs. I put LED's in the fog lights and they are all kinds of bright.

I go to put the DDM HID 35w kit in the low beams. They do match the color of the fog lights but they are not bright at all. When I went to put them in I noticed that the stupid headlights don't even have the factory snap in bracket for the bulbs to twist into on the low beams. Not sure why since the high beams are normal. So to make these work I cut the strange factory plug and put the correct plug in using the cables I got from O'Reilly's. I drove it for the first time at night last night and they suck so bad.

I don't understand why/how they are so dim. I did have to rig up the clip that holds them in since it doesn't match the factory twist locks. they are sealed so I don't think that is causing the problem.

Any help would be awesome.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they are like my VIPMoto headlights, its because they use a different bulb than factory. I believe they use an H7 (I could be wrong). When I put HIDs in, I had to tell RetroShop I needed H7 bulbs as the factory projectors come with different bulbs.

My H7 HIDs locked in perfectly. The housing themselves, you can tell their specks are slightly off as I have to press in on the housing to get the wheel well locking slider to lock. But I was able to.

OP
OP
Mike Townsend

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, my dumb self just assumed the low beam lights were the same as factory when I ordered the HID kit. I've had it for so long I can't exchange it so I am kind of stuck. I just don't understand whey they aren't very bright.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, my dumb self just assumed the low beam lights were the same as factory when I ordered the HID kit. I've had it for so long I can't exchange it so I am kind of stuck. I just don't understand whey they aren't very bright.

Maybe using the wrong size bulb puts the designed focus point of the actual bulb in the wrong spot for the projectors? I know my HIDs are very bright, and once I adjusted the headlights, I do not blind anyone, and can see beautifully.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

If you've got the wrong bulb type in them, as @JPT suggested, it's probably because the "hot spot" (the point the light actually originates from in the bulb) is in the wrong position relative to the projector lens. The lens is designed to work with a specific bulb type, any other type won't put the light in the correct place. I'm not sure what your budget is to fix the issue, but the TYC brand projectors are duplicates of the factory ones, use the same bulb types, etc. and come in chrome or blacked out. You can get pair fo them from RockAuto for about $500. Or you could see if you can get a HID bulb in the correct type and see if that solves the issue. Probably much cheaper to go the 2nd way. :)

-K

OP
OP
Mike Townsend

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the replies. I took the cheap way out for now and put Sylvania's in and they are brighter. They don't match the white of the LED fog lights though. I'll deal with it for now since I don't really drive that much at night. I can always take the Charger. LOL

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It shouldn't that expensive to get the h7 HID bulbs to put into your current HID kit. The big cost is the wiring harness and ballasts.

Another option.