5th Gen RAM Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I hope he isn't considering a '19 Raptor. I had an '18, and while it had neat features, I had issues with it and was back at the dealer several times. Also, when you give it the gas, the turbo V-6 sounds like a duck farting. It was very annoying and I just couldn't get over the poor quality, and sound for a $80k truck. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am 5 times more impressed with my '19 Ram Limited.

V6 in a Ford Raptor ??? What the Hell happened to the 6.2L???

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Gas mileage. Cheaper to throw a turbo on than r&d a new engine. Plus milenials love v6 engines with turbos.

Chickenstrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They did a lot of testing during the design, however they got in such a rush to release it in order to beat or “outdo” the other manufacturers that some issues may have gotten overlooked. It’s one thing to display a new model at the auto shows, but they also released it to production so early to the point they are building two generations at the same time? I have never seen this happen. Most of the time the new models start hitting dealerships around Labor Day not Easter.

As a rule I don’t buy total redesigned vehicles the first year they come out and I don’t care what country of origin it is, cosmetic changes or minor changes ok but not total redesigned. If you want to buy one go ahead but your wasting your breath trying to convince me.

I have seen this before. 2004 f150 vs 2004 f150 heritage eddition. I drank the coolaid and bought the new body. At 68000 miles the trans was toast (no towing or hot rodding), turns out even though it was the same engine and trans design there was a cost saving measure in the new trucks that removed brass bushings cast into the trans bell housing that prematurely killed the trans. This generally only affected vehicles after they were well out of warranty (36000 miles) so fords answer was "this was not designed as a high mileage transmission".

I learned my lesson, i will always allow a new model to mature before buyimg one, it can come to bite you after the warranty is expired.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They went to a twin turbo 3.5L v6 in this last model. One of the reasons it made me never want to look at it. I thought theyd offer a 6.2L option but noooo

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
They went to a twin turbo 3.5L v6 in this last model. One of the reasons it made me never want to look at it. I thought theyd offer a 6.2L option but noooo

Now I know why I bought a Ram

Britgeezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hate to say it but my Ram 1500 bighorn Limited has been a small dog.
-Transmission replaced.
-Rear diff rebuilt.
-Multiple electrical issues
-It never drove quite correctly after this very expensive to (FCMA) warranty work.

My Jeep Cherokee was a BIG dog, had even more of the same kind of issues - we won a lemon Law suit.

The Ram was a brilliant vehicle before the warranty issues, my daughter the main driver still loves it but doesn't trust it.
The lease is up in September - she wants another on her dime this time...

For me I cant justify another FCMA product, the quality is just not there. Maybe the 2019 will be better - I'll keep an open mind but remember that I now understand the lemon laws.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I know why I bought a Ram

Ford loves putting small engines in vehicles that require biggins, cant you tell

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
New Ram quality issues. If you follow the different forums you will find a common customer experience thread. Customers love their trucks, but frustrated with assembly quality and dealer service. Experiencing that now with our 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi. Weather it is the exhaust leak problem or the valve train problem, I have concluded that Dodge is not supervising assembly in Mexico. Both of these known issues are assembly issues. Because our trucks are relatively "new design" vehicles, the owners are doing the testing. Over the next year or two Dodge will address their common and known defects. They will identify why the factory is causing these issues and they will change/correct the assembly errors. Customers who buy after us will benefit from our time and effort helping Dodge get the bugs out. Disgusting conclusion, but it is the vehicle world we live in today.

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have concluded that Dodge is not supervising assembly in Mexico.

Honest question: Did you mean RAM, or is the Dodge division for FCA still responsible for overseeing RAM operations despite the brand separation?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I do not know the factual answer. Now that RAM is a separate stand alone brand, they may have their own quality control department and this may well be why they are having assembly and parts quality issues. I believe some of the Dodge people went over with RAM. I do believe they will get their new brand issue resolved.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Theres always issues with first model year vehicles. It's nice to have the latest and greatest but you run the risk of having more problems than you would if it was a year or two old. They all have their lil "bugs" and glitches. Yes that's exactly why theres warranties but who really wants to spend $40, $50, $60k on something just to keep bringing it to the dealer for work. And does anyone else think the 5th gen's looks like the Toyota Tundra?
I do, but I like the Toyota Tundra’s looks.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Raptors are going to an all new 7.0L v8 in 2019.

Reactions: JB1

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
First off. Thanks for your service from north of the boarder.

I hope everything is fine with the 19s and there are no issues with it and you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

All we are saying is the expectation is that some/most of the issues have been identified and/or figured out as time goes on.

With the rate of innovation these days corporations are moving as fast as they can to remain competitive... There are 3 major pillars which play a role. Cost, time, quality. It's a balancing act based on goals.

Again the expectation is everything to be fine and to have no issues... [emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Agree, the design/production world today is what it is. When Dodge introduced the new 5.7 Hemi in 03 they did extensive testing. The engineers and industry claimed it was bullet proof. They put it into production and the valve spring vendor sent them a bad run of valve springs. Some valve seats were not properly installed. Early production bugs. Dodge addressed and corrected. So many variables make the different POV easy to understand.