Air cleaner body broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Greetings good people. While changing my air filter, I popped open the 4 clips, and I heard 1 fall. I managed to locate the clip, but it wouldn't secure back on to the air cleaner box. It'll hold the lid, but it doesn't stay attached to the box. I popped out the housing, and realized the little tab on the housing was broken. Not the end of the world, but I know that one of these days I'll forget it's not secure, and I'll loose it. The broken tab is not in an accessible area where plastic welding or other repair could be made.
Considering that this snapped, I'm guessing others have had the issue.
A new housing is a ridiculous price. I'm tempted to just leave it as future guy's problem, but I like to fix the details along the way, before it all adds up

Can any of you share a fix? The pics show the retaining hole with center strip of plastic missing, second pic is the clip itself,1000002066.jpg1000002067.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Make a thread in the wanted section for one. I'm sure that at least one of the guys who went with an aftermarket intake would sell you the stock one from their truck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm trying to remember how they go together...you're saying the clip DOES hold the top tight...but that the clip will fall out when ya unsnap it, right?

If so, I'd just close it up and call it good. Or do like metioned above and buy a replacement from a guy swapping his out. But even then...if it holds the lid closed.. ..

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah, i see what the issue is there

i got a complete set up from a 2017 2500 but it is so bulky, once you add shipping it makes more sense to grab one from a local junkyard

OP
OP
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been shopping the local ad sites,, but they're asking prices close to the price of an after market "cold air" .
Haven't had luck from the wrecking yards yet

OP
OP
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
seems i have insufficient privileges to post in the wanted section-7 posts to go. Thank you guys

Last edited:

stevenram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a special tool for those clips, I always have trouble snapping them back on. Sorry don’t mean to hyjack ops thread

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Watch the beginning of this video
It plainly shows how to remove the complete Air Box, quickly & easily.

Once out, you could probably FIX yours on a work bench or other surface.

Also notice the Valve & Hoses that are mounted on the Ram's Frame, they lead to the A/C unit in the cab

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can any of you share a fix? The pics show the retaining hole with center strip of plastic missing, second pic is the clip itself,

Could you post a picture of the unbroken side so that others don't have to check their own trucks for reference?

Soon, the bugs here will make standing in one place quite nasty.

There are likely many suitable modifications that will get the job done.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, Can you epoxy a small piece off metal to the underside of the slot to do the job?

I have a clip on an old Jeep XJ that's something like this. Since I don't drive it a whole lot, when I DO replace the filter every several years, the clip falls off and I'm like "...oh yeah, I remember that clip *always* falls off." Takes but a minute to retrieve with a magnet and snap everyting down. I get a chuckle out of it more than anything else. But if a guy takes his truck to a shop for service, esp a 'quicke lube place', doubtful they'd retreive it (*if* they even noticed it was missing!). Then there's always the remote possibility some unfiltered air could enter.

OP
OP
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, Can you epoxy a small piece off metal to the underside of the slot to do the job?

I have a clip on an old Jeep XJ that's something like this. Since I don't drive it a whole lot, when I DO replace the filter every several years, the clip falls off and I'm like "...oh yeah, I remember that clip *always* falls off." Takes but a minute to retrieve with a magnet and snap everyting down. I get a chuckle out of it more than anything else. But if a guy takes his truck to a shop for service, esp a 'quicke lube place', doubtful they'd retreive it (*if* they even noticed it was missing!). Then there's always the remote possibility some unfiltered air could enter.
Jeepwalker, I'm contemplating something like this. My original question was if others have had this happen, as buying a replacement would be silly if a used one could already have the issue, or if throwing money at it would be a waste of its going to happen again soon. There's limited space to epoxy, and making that lip thicker might inhibit the pivoting of clip. I'm leaning towards heating a sturdy wire, lowering it down with tweezers, and let it heat set across the gap. If it works, I'll post. If not, I'll take chopperman's suggestion.

Cheers!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you considered taking the whole thing off and doing it on the bench? The stiff wire idea would probably work. I was thinking...I'd cut out the remaining, then add a strip of 16ga that would overlap the gap on both sides (for strength)... but hat-shaped to fit the right depth. Roughen up the repair area with a razor knife or 80#. The wire idea would probably be easier to work with though.

There's probably a good 5 ways to repair it depending on how fancy a guy wants to be. I'm assuming if yours broke, at least some others will suffer the same fate. Show us the final repair if you go that way. Cheers!

OP
OP
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had it off studying the issue, just pops off the 4 posts. Problem is that it's 1/2" down, 3/4" up from the bottom.

I've talked myself in to the heated wire idea, with a cup of water handy to quench, so I don't melt through that sort thin strip.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like your hot-wire idea ...better than the buckle. :waytogo:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was thinking a steel wire across from the bottom , maybe a hot glue gun to hold it , I see it jeepwalker has the same idea.
As par, I posted with out reading all the posts, I shudder too think what the price would be on a plastic box, even at a wrecker.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I was thinking a steel wire across from the bottom , maybe a hot glue gun to hold it , I see it jeepwalker has the same idea.
As par, I posted with out reading all the posts, I shudder too think what the price would be on a plastic box, even at a wrecker.
It's probably not as bad as you think from a junkyard. At my local yards it's less than 20 bucks...

1716224605397.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funwrecker