Exhaust Manifold Passenger Side Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have lived with an exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side for a while as I didn't want to tackle it during the winter. Now that warmer weather has come, I have started to work on it. No surprise the rear two bolts broke, but that is not where I am stuck at the moment. I have gotten the front two bolts loose, but the 4 smaller ones that are left behind it are so rusted that they are basically round. I have tried my extractors that will cut into them as you try to loosen them, but there is not really enough metal left for them to get a good grip. Watching some videos, I saw one guy here in Ontario where the salt flows freely on the road use an oxy acetalyne torch to burn off the bolt heads. My issue is I don't have one of those. I think I could get to the top ones with my angle grinder, but there is no way I could get to the bottom ones. Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use to cut the heads off the bottom bolts?

Once I have the manifold off, I will clean the rust off, and weld some nuts on them to get them out. I will have to do that with the other two broken bolts anyway.

If you have other suggestions on how to get those bolts loose, I am listening.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Would a cordless dremel tool be able to fit ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
some company makes a jig, that does not allow you to drill crooked

I would remove what ever i could & tow the vehicle to a mechanic, or have a mechanic come to your location, that could weld or whatever is needed to fix it