No one ever post about drag racing in the performance section....lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It’s weird right. But somehow there’s vehicles that pull wheelies the same way. Oh right. They run a slick. Sometimes it’s small.
I get it, there’s a point where you want to kill the rear gear. But at that power level you are putting more money into everything else anyways: so moot point. If not there wouldn’t be stupidly quick powerglides out there. And on the other hand there’s the stick shift guys dropping clutches at 6000 on 28” tires 60’ in the low 1’s.
But I get it . These 345” motors are monsters . Any more cam would kill slicks, wrinkle box sides and on. Actually this 8 speed is sounding like a bad idea. Maybe better to trade In for 3rd gen
If you gotta slow your truck down out of fear of breaking something in the driveline and you can’t afford to fix it, you really shouldn’t be racing that vehicle to begin with. Especially if it’s gotta get your butt to work on Monday..
I spent a decade not sleeping on weeknights because of racing the daily, not wanting to be fired Monday , stupid (underline the stupid) **** like that.
Do a driveshaft. Keep the 3.92. Shorten tire, add cam to carry out 5th.
Save gear swap for boost or 1/2 mile + stuff. My thoughts anyways.

If you're Alberta based and spent a decade racing,you were likely at Castrol,unless you ran years ago at Race City,what did you race and what are you racing now?

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that tenth in the 60’ in those two fellas is pretty big. Every caught someone that out 60’s you? Not very often.
I get what you are doing. I just think it’s early in the build.

OP
OP
Gary's Hemi

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drag racing is now a Facebook thing, and then it’s still mostly “street racers” with no proof except dark videos with headlights that could be 5’ behind (“yeah bro I totally pulled him”) or 200’ behind because they decided to quit racing. Pitiful

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Yea I cringe when I see those street racing videos. Lol ya cant see who won & my stance on racing is keep it on the track & off the street period.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're Alberta based and spent a decade racing,you were likely at Castrol,unless you ran years ago at Race City,what did you race and what are you racing now?

I’m racing jack stands tonight.
Old dodge. 4 speed bb. It maxes my out cc when I look at it. Used to race a Plymouth too.
Like I said. Addiction. It’s stupid. Tread lightly into machine lol.
And never look at the receipts. NEVER

84B45AA6-0D15-4A8D-8BAB-1AD1393FA042.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gary's Hemi

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that tenth in the 60’ in those two fellas is pretty big. Every caught someone that out 60’s you? Not very often.
I get what you are doing. I just think it’s early in the build.

But you dont think those 6 hundredths are due to the 3.21 truck even though being modded identical is alot heavier being a qc compared to rc & 4x4 compared to 3.92 2wd? The weight will be a factor in that.

Again I'm not doing it for anything to do with a gain from the gearing itself. It is time in the build when I cant push street tires any further, I cant run the current tires on the market on the stock ds due to possible failure & the only aftermarket ds out there will be a possible failure also. My only option at that point is race 1/8 mile which I dont like & is also dangerous as we have 1/4 mile tracks. If I race 1/8 mile & let off & hold a speed through the 1/4 that the ds is happy with then I am slowing down on track while another vehicle is barrelling past me, I just dont like that thought & really I'm just not an 1/8 mile racer period.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m racing jack stands tonight.
Old dodge. 4 speed bb. It maxes my out cc when I look at it. Used to race a Plymouth too.
Like I said. Addiction. It’s stupid. Tread lightly into machine lol.

View attachment 148562

Lets have a topside pic,i'm at Castrol a fair bit myself,and know a few of the quicker cars,trucks,lol.BTW why were you running a 727 behind a 340,you would of went faster with a 904,and they can be built to take a fair bit of abuse.I used to run a low 11 sec 401 powered AMC hornet at Race City 25 years ago,and gained a full tenth when I went from the AMC 727 to the AMC 904,same trannies as the dodge versions just with an AMC bolt pattern

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the guy with the gear will always beat the other guy apples to apples. If the incredible hemi went to 3.92 I think he would take back his thoughts on 3.21. Especially with that cam.
Add tq to motor. Gear becomes moot. Until then gear is king.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lets have a topside pic,i'm at Castrol a fair bit myself,and know a few of the quicker cars,trucks,lol.BTW why were you running a 727 behind a 340,you would of went faster with a 904,and they can be built to take a fair bit of abuse.I used to run a low 11 sec 401 powered AMC hornet at Race City 25 years ago,and gained a full tenth when I went from the AMC 727 to the AMC 904,same trannies as the dodge versions just with an AMC bolt pattern

Will be lots of pics of car next year when I sell. Sick of the addiction. Not sick of hobby. Just sick of playing mechanical cocaine. I don’t see it any different than a drug addiction.
340 cars both had 727’s. Numbers cars. Sold plymouth in 07. Have had this e body 20 years. Tough to let go. But I think a crackhead would say the same about their ****.

OP
OP
Gary's Hemi

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no doubt that if he went to 3.92's in HIS heavier qc 4x4 then he would gain. What I am saying though is now look at the much lighter rc w/ 3.92's. How much of the 6 hundredths on the 60' is due to being hundreds of lbs less than Nick & how much of the 6 hundredths is from the advantage of the 3.92's......Nick(qc) is hundreds of lbs heavier than Jason(rc)

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would the rcsb be quicker yet with 4.30’s? That’s theoretically a sweet spot?
Is the extra weight in the 4 door 4x4 located in a point in the truck where it’s hardly relevant. I don’t know enough about either trucks. But...

OP
OP
Gary's Hemi

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ultimately if there were better aftermarket ds options that werent breaking housings & tail shafts I would keep the 3.92's. But there isnt an option so we can say all day long this or that is better but in order for me to move forward any at all I had to get away from street tires, which then led me to if I want to continue to run the 1/4 mile & keep moving forward I had to do a ds or gears which I have posted my perspective on both of the 2. I'm at the point that I can not move anymore forward & mod my truck anymore at all without getting away from street tires. I have stayed with street tires for longer than I should have due to the rc 8 speed ds problems. I have accomplished alot with the street tires & have ran faster on them than most of the na guys on the fb pages period. But I want to move on now. I want to do more than the few bolt ons I have & I cant dont that on street tires. The gears are to allow me to be able to move forward & run dr's without a ds problem

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Would the rcsb be quicker yet with 4.30’s? That’s theoretically a sweet spot?
Is the extra weight in the 4 door 4x4 located in a point in the truck where it’s hardly relevant. I don’t know enough about either trucks. But...

My little 8 speed rcsb 4X4 pulls low 1.70 60ft's at Castrol with 3.55's and when it had 3.21's it pulled low 1.70's to,in fact it's best 60ft is a 1.67 and it was done with 3.21's.With the 8 speeds stump pulling 4.71 first gear,there isn't the same gain going deeper on the rear gears as there is in the older generation of transmissions that are anywhere from roughly 2.45 to 3.06 first gear ratio's.There's a point of diminishing return,because of the fact you now have to make another gear change at the top-end of the track to compensate for the deeper rear gear.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My little 8 speed rcsb 4X4 pulls low 1.70 60ft's at Castrol with 3.55's and when it had 3.21's it pulled low 1.70's to,in fact it's best 60ft is a 1.67 and it was done with 3.21's.With the 8 speeds stump pulling 4.71 first gear,there isn't the same gain going deeper on the rear gears as there is in the older generation of transmissions that are anywhere from roughly 2.45 to 3.06 first gear ratio's.There's a point of diminishing return,because of the fact you now have to make another gear change at the top-end of the track to compensate for the deeper rear gear.

I get the diminishing return on the gears. But did your 3.21 do the 1.67 in better da? I know Alberta can be up and down. Did it et better ? Better Mph? And have you tried 3.92 with same setup? Going 3.21 to 3.55 isn’t much. I see why and how etc. I guess I want to see the fastest na hemi 8 speed guys running tall gears until I buy into it. It just seems reverse thinking
Better yet. I’ll go order up a new 8 speed 3.92 express,get rid of this tradesmen, sell my 45 year old junk buy driveshaft and tires, do the mods. and post the time slips. Old car was addiction. Ram is just hobby. Kinda like just smoking 3 smokes a day instead of two packs lol. Until then it’s winter. I’m in Canada. Oh yea. Truck is ordered. Damn neighours weed. Forgot about that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gary's Hemi

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hell even if the gears loose et it was all worth it to see an actual drag racing post on this forum with 30+ comments. Thats muffler post type comments right there. Heck if we can get it up to 60 post we will be up to Pedal Commander status there. Lol

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Heck I’ll post what I’m doing here...

I’ve got an 03 quad cab 4x4. Been trying to turn this into a somewhat fast street truck for the last year. So far to some disappointing results but I’m sure I’m really close to my breakthrough. So far I’ve got a cammed 392 with small stock heads on it. 46re manual valvebody trans swap, 4.56 gears. Odds and ends added too, longtubes, Intake. So far my lowest time has been 15.3. Not happy at all, 33” a/t tires, 77lbs each wheel. So my current project is swapping to eagle heads and eagle truck intake, custom headers, high compression, dropping the 4wd setup and getting proper tires, and sending my convertor back to get restalled to around 3600. I know it’s slow compared to current trucks but I want to get a low 13-12.9 on motor next year. Then I will look into nitrous or a homemade turbo kit. That will depend on the family situation in the next few years as far as having a kid sooner or later. I feel like the truck should easily be running a low 14 as is. I’m bound and determined, I’ve put more time and money into this truck in the last year then I care to admit, it’s a full blown addiction at the moment

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I get the diminishing return on the gears. But did your 3.21 do the 1.67 in better da? I know Alberta can be up and down. Did it et better ? Better Mph? And have you tried 3.92 with same setup? Going 3.21 to 3.55 isn’t much. I see why and how etc. I guess I want to see the fastest na hemi 8 speed guys running tall gears until I buy into it. It just seems reverse thinking
Better yet. I’ll go order up a new 8 speed 3.92 express,get rid of this tradesmen, sell my 45 year old junk buy driveshaft and tires, do the mods. and post the time slips. Old car was addiction. Ram is just hobby. Kinda like just smoking 3 smokes a day instead of two packs lol. Until then it’s winter. I’m in Canada. Oh yea. Truck is ordered. Damn neighours weed. Forgot about that.
DA doesn't mean all that much when it comes to cutting 60fts,i've cut 1.70 60fts at 4400ft and I've cut 1.70 60fts at 2,000ft.Truck has ran a best of 12.21 at Castrol,it's not super quick,but is a bit of a sleeper for a heavy assed truck,lol

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DA doesn't mean all that much when it comes to cutting 60fts,i've cut 1.70 60fts at 4400ft and I've cut 1.70 60fts at 2,000ft.Truck has ran a best of 12.21 at Castrol,it's not super quick,but is a bit of a sleeper for a heavy assed truck,lol
And how much were you spraying when you did those 60’. Those rules of gears diminish with power. Like boost or spraying the motor. Would you run na and have the same opiomn if you spun the hemi 7000ish? With a spiky hp curve and the same low end tq? I think you would hunting for 3.92’s or looking for a 26” tire. Lol
My point is a naturally aspirated 345” hemi ( I love the motor so don’t take it wrong) but it ain’t gonna make enough beans to move a heavy ram without gear.
Add supercharger, nitrous, turbo, stroker crank, It’s a whole different motor then making a different curve. Sure. Go 3.08 gear really then.
As long as you are running naturally
aspirated short stroke small blocks, and throwing bigger cams in or even stock cam guys. will always need more gear to compensate. You kill the tq curve or at least it hits its limit on ci. and extend the rpm to make the hp.

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Heck I’ll post what I’m doing here...

I’ve got an 03 quad cab 4x4. Been trying to turn this into a somewhat fast street truck for the last year. So far to some disappointing results but I’m sure I’m really close to my breakthrough. So far I’ve got a cammed 392 with small stock heads on it. 46re manual valvebody trans swap, 4.56 gears. Odds and ends added too, longtubes, Intake. So far my lowest time has been 15.3. Not happy at all, 33” a/t tires, 77lbs each wheel. So my current project is swapping to eagle heads and eagle truck intake, custom headers, high compression, dropping the 4wd setup and getting proper tires, and sending my convertor back to get restalled to around 3600. I know it’s slow compared to current trucks but I want to get a low 13-12.9 on motor next year. Then I will look into nitrous or a homemade turbo kit. That will depend on the family situation in the next few years as far as having a kid sooner or later. I feel like the truck should easily be running a low 14 as is. I’m bound and determined, I’ve put more time and money into this truck in the last year then I care to admit, it’s a full blown addiction at the moment

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Try running it in 4x4 hi and see what the time slip says then.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road