possible suspension issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcampbell09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently purchased a 2018 Ram1500 rebel. It has been great but i've notice something with the rear axle acting funny. To start off the truck does have OEM air suspension with 35x12.5x20 tires.

whenever I am on the freeway and go over a bump in the road/uneven payment i can feel the rear end almost shift over a few inches which causes the truck to correct it self to straighten back out. Its only caused me to actually correct my steering once. I can sometimes feel it when im moving slowly over a speed bump but its not very exaggerated. The suspension feels fine and doesnt bounce alot so i dont think its the shocks however they do look tired, leaking oil slightly, not extremly wet. The anti-sway bar and everything looks and feels tight and buching looks decent, no obvious rips/cracks.

Any insight would be helpful. thank you

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a solid axle truck for ya. My warlock is the same way. Hit some rail road tracks one time and that ass end literally came off the ground.

zrock

Reaction score
when is the last time you checked your alignment? Before i removed the air suspension the first shop that did the alignment messed up, tracked and drove perfectly strait down the road but when i hit a bum it would jump into the next lane..

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm not being smart here, but is this your first pickup? When unloaded they're light in the butt and act like that. Even my dually when I first got it before I added the tool/fuel box in the bed would skip on a bump in a turn.

OP
OP
K

kcampbell09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm not being smart here, but is this your first pickup? When unloaded they're light in the butt and act like that. Even my dually when I first got it before I added the tool/fuel box in the bed would skip on a bump in a turn.

understandable question, No this is my 3rd Ram truck. I get solid axles and so on and know how it feels loaded and unloaded. but this is something else that it makes it feel unsafe driving over 45-50 mph. I think Zrock is onto it with possible allignment issue. Ill get that checked here shortly. Thanks for the input everyone.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
whenever I am on the freeway and go over a bump in the road/uneven payment i can feel the rear end almost shift over a few inches which causes the truck to correct it self to straighten back out.
Check all the trailing arm and panhard bar bushings, they're probably loosening up causing the rear end to track funny over bumps.
If your shocks show any leakage it's probably time for new ones.