Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Intake manifold bolts must be replaced! They are not a TTY bolt but they are some weak ass bolts, for $8 cheap safety in my books better than breaking a bolt. Killing a set of intake gaskets and starting over right.

The only thing I might move is the lifters, but I still like to see them changed out. You posted you have no thoughts of your motor lasting to long so I cut it down for this reason.

Edit; Any of the Mopar part numbers I post that start with a P are Mopar performance parts. Things are changing all Mopar performance parts are subject to being NLA.

Gotcha i just figured once this motor is no good ill be putting new lifters in with a rebuild anyways provided i keep the truck that long and considering i dont know the life this engine had prior to me im going to stop trusting it by the time it reaches 200k ( not by choice just something about looking at the odometer and seeing 200000 and knowing i wasnt there for 150k of them) thanks again for the help man. I've got a tranny filter kit i will be doing that one of these days once i have a good torque wrench( so i can adjust bands) hopefully thatll clear up my tranny problems, like it did in a similar situation with my 84 bronco II.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Adjusting the bands...............can be a good thing or bring on the end much faster. Good luck with your motor and post up the comp test results when you do it....................

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adjusting the bands...............can be a good thing or bring on the end much faster. Good luck with your motor and post up the comp test results when you do it....................

I see now you've got me worried. I dont think this transmission is in as bad of a condition as i want to think it is, then again it could be quite the opposite, i want it to be better than i think it is :roflsquared: . As far as im concerned the tranny is gonna show its true colors in the next few oil changes.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welll got a few hours of driving in today and probably ~180 miles the codes came back right before my return journey the ones that came back were the O2 sensor code, random misfire and cylinder 5 misfire. Also my "lugging" issues probably had something to do with driving like a granny, i'm starting to trust this rig so i'm finally starting to get on it a bit around town and i think it cleaned her out. Also i put regular instead of mid grade this time so maybe less octane did me some good. I was struggling to do 65 both ways this trip i did before today, today i was going between 70-75 with ease ( just for ***** and giggles i went 65 up a few hills and i was able to hold it) oh and the bigger stretch(40 miles) i never left overdrive not once.

Edit: I noticed my truck sounded like it has a supercharger this morning, im gonna check any other vac connections but im guessing its the good ol' plenum gasket ill try some propane or starter fluid enrichment see if i can get it pinned down.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
So tranny codes are gone, miss codes are back. So when are you going to do that comp test?

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So tranny codes are gone, miss codes are back. So when are you going to do that comp test?

I never had tranny codes, i will do the compression test but ive already spent 400+ dollars this paycheck on my truck unfortunately i've got other things to take care of. My tranny still fluctuates RPM at highway and creates the surging feeling. Also gotta wait for the wind to die down anyways i've got a box full of parts that cant go on right now because of the weather.

Last edited: