question on custom tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RI2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to the hole tunner thing and was wondering what kind of custom tunes you do.I tow a 6k travel trailer and was wondering what can be done for towing.

Thanks

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The '04 Hemi doesn't have trans control with SCT or Diablo. Lot of folks install Superchips and get a little extra part throttle rpm shift points and load SCT over it. SCT and Diablo both have a much better engine program. Since there's no trans alterations towing enhancements are done with engine power. To gain more towing power, 93 octane would be used. I can tweak the knock sensors for added protection due to the towing weight and add some power with a 93 octane timing curve.

OP
OP
R

RI2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The '04 Hemi doesn't have trans control with SCT or Diablo. Lot of folks install Superchips and get a little extra part throttle rpm shift points and load SCT over it. SCT and Diablo both have a much better engine program. Since there's no trans alterations towing enhancements are done with engine power. To gain more towing power, 93 octane would be used. I can tweak the knock sensors for added protection due to the towing weight and add some power with a 93 octane timing curve.

Thank you I wasn't sure if I could go with a lower octane for towing with a custom tune.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towing produces a lot of engine load. You can't advance engine timing to make such power under that load w/o increasing the octane. The 87 octane tune would be more responsive under towing and smoother than stock, but won't be a power maker

OP
OP
R

RI2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Towing produces a lot of engine load. You can't advance engine timing to make such power under that load w/o increasing the octane. The 87 octane tune would be more responsive under towing and smoother than stock, but won't be a power maker

Thank you for the info I think this is something for the back burner. I have installed a K&N cold air intake and now need to replace the stock muffler so I'm going with a magnaflow 24.