1500 Tow Ratings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My buddy's 2003 GMC Yukon got totaled today (no one hurt, thankfully) and he's going to be tow vehicle shopping. I'm a 2500 guy and really don't pay much attention to the whole 1/2 ton towing world (other than the endless threads of people trying to tow 10K trailers with them :))

He has a near new TT that I'm guessing is about 5000# loaded - I think it's 23'. I know pretty much any newer TV he gets will be worlds better than what he has been towing with but want to give him some good advice.

Preliminarily, I told him to look at Ram 1500 and maybe an F150 Ecoboost. Since this is a Ram board I'll assume that is going to be the recommended direction. So, to that extent, what kind of payload #s can he expect with a new 1500? I see a lot of gear #s going around and the 3.92 seems to be the highest #. So is that going to get the max for towing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have him look into a 1500 with the EcoDiesel, even with 3.92 towing that TT, he will get better fuel economy than some people are with their Hemi's. Pulling a 3K lbs enclosed car hauler in high headwinds, I was getting 16mpg. There are some guys on the some of the Ram 1500 diesel forums pulling 7K - 9K lbs trailers(loaded) through the mountains with ease.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.92 + 8 speed is what you want for towing. if he can afford it i highly suggest the air suspension but if it's not in the budget airbags are $100 and work great. i'm personally not a fan of the ecodiesel but it does get impressive fuel economy towing so it's worth looking at. the bigger fuel tank would be another option to look at and i'd almost say it's required if you're towing long distances with the hemi

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the payload and towing numbers are here: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf
Note that these numbers are based on pretty much "strippers" with few options if any. The footnotes state that options that are present in 33% of the vehicles should be included in the base weight, but RAM sneakily uses a lot of packages (Tradesman, Sport, Express, Big Horn, Laramie, Long Horn etc.) which keeps many options below 33%. Even my Tradesman has 200lbs less payload than in the table, I guess the skidplates, tow hooks and larger tank just kill it .. :) Have your buddy check the sticker in the door what the actual payload of a vehicle is.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If he keeps his stuff long term which judging by an 03 Yukon.... would not get the Ford Turbo. Turbo simply do last long term. If Ford, go with Diesel.

5K trailer is not much, for any 1/2 ton truck.

as stated, 3:92 & 8speed, though I went Hemi.

Not a big fan of Ecodiesel. Not yet.
Love the Concept but it's too New.
Remember well, the USA Auto Industries efforts of "Lets try a Diesel in this" , in the 70's & 80's.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's recreational, I would not recommend the diesel. The higher price and high maintenance costs eat up every advantage. And the hemi can get empty up to 22mph easy.
And even with 3.21 rear, he can pull up to 7000# with no problems. He will absolutely feel the difference to the Yukon.
Ford, well, I'm old fashioned. I believe, if you just want a truck and get mulch once a year, the ecopoop might be a choice, but when you pull, the v8 with decent volume is hard till not to beat in the long run. If ford is even considered, go with 5.0. But it will not the mpg of a hemi. Right now, the hemi has the best package for the price. And I checked them all out, before I bought mine. But that's my opinion. I would never try to convince a Ford or Chevy guy. Ain't worth it.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy's 2003 GMC Yukon got totaled today (no one hurt, thankfully) and he's going to be tow vehicle shopping. I'm a 2500 guy and really don't pay much attention to the whole 1/2 ton towing world (other than the endless threads of people trying to tow 10K trailers with them :))

He has a near new TT that I'm guessing is about 5000# loaded - I think it's 23'. I know pretty much any newer TV he gets will be worlds better than what he has been towing with but want to give him some good advice.

Preliminarily, I told him to look at Ram 1500 and maybe an F150 Ecoboost. Since this is a Ram board I'll assume that is going to be the recommended direction. So, to that extent, what kind of payload #s can he expect with a new 1500? I see a lot of gear #s going around and the 3.92 seems to be the highest #. So is that going to get the max for towing?

The tow ratings are offered by Ram in a pdf for for the 1500 trucks. My 2015 Crew Cab with the 5.7 hemi is rated to tow 8100 max. The same truck with the 3.92 gears ia rated to pull over 10,000 lbs. I personally would not pull that heavy of a load with a 1500. My TT is 7600 GVW and my truck pulls it just fine with a gas mileage of about 11 to 12 mpg unless I am driving in strong winds then it drops to 8mpg. I think the 2016 tow ratings are a little different.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the payload sticker on the door jambs. I did the vin lookup and what it stated for mine was not what was on my sticker, sticker was a little lower. For reference, my '14 Laramie which has every option except air ride (about as heavy as a Laramie CC 4x4 comes from the factory) is rated for 1,195 lbs max payload, my GVWR is 6800 lbs. I see a lot of '15 and up Rams, similarly equipped as mine, have the 6900 lbs GVWR.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks everyone.... ironically, he ended up with a 1500 Ram and the 5.7 Hemi as his rental. I think convincing him to get the Ram is going to be easier than I thought :)

The Ecodiesel is interesting but the payload is pitiful. He's got two teenagers and dogs and plenty of stuff for the bed for the truck to go along with the pin weight of is TT.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Ecodiesel is interesting but the payload is pitiful. He's got two teenagers and dogs and plenty of stuff for the bed for the truck to go along with the pin weight of is TT.

The difference in payload between the Hemi and EcoDiesel is less than 200 lbs(when equipped with the same 8 spd transmission). The payloads for all RAM 1500s are low due the rear coil suspension. The front and rear GAWR is the same between the Hemi and EcoD. The EcoD has a slight advantage on GVWR. The only figure where the Hemi has an advantage is max GCWR.
The same amount of pin weight and cargo in the bed is going to make the Hemi and the EcoD squat the same.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And the hemi can get empty up to 22mph easy.

I always hate it when people say things like this. Not one tank on my 1500 got anything above 18. Cruise set on 55 with no wind might get you 22 for short stretches but 20 would be a stretch. I'm not saying some trucks aren't capable of getting that mileage, but don't go into it expecting it like I did. I averaged 14 over 13000 miles, a far cry from the 17 it was supposed to get.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always hate it when people say things like this. Not one tank on my 1500 got anything above 18. Cruise set on 55 with no wind might get you 22 for short stretches but 20 would be a stretch. I'm not saying some trucks aren't capable of getting that mileage, but don't go into it expecting it like I did. I averaged 14 over 13000 miles, a far cry from the 17 it was supposed to get.

hate it or not, I figured that out by doing the math, how far I drove and how much I got gas. exact 21.5 mpg. And I drive 80% Highway, 95% cruise control at 70mph, got the 8-gear and 3.21 rear. If you just get 14mpg, you either just drive around in the city, or have a weight problem with your right foot. if I drive without cruise control, I even get a little better mileage, because I drive more the way, that I let it speed up by rolling down a hill and let it slow down up the hill without switching gears back.
If you want to, I can give you some driving lessons, when I'm up there in MI for work.
but it maybe has a reason, that we're in the south let it go a little more easy, than you northerners :favorites13:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The same amount of pin weight and cargo in the bed is going to make the Hemi and the EcoD squat the same.

actually i think the ecodiesel would handle tongue weight a bit better due to the engine being heavier so the front won't lift quite a much. i can't remember for sure the weight difference atm but i seem to be thinking it's in the 200lbs area which isn't a lot but still nice to have that extra bit up front.

i still don't think it's worth the extra maintenance costs unless you're pretty much always towing

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, it always amazes me how low the payload is on 1/2 tons. I'm remembering now why I got a 2500. It turns out my buddy's dad has a 2013 Ecoboost he will make him a sweet deal on so we'll see.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it always amazes me how low the payload is on 1/2 tons. I'm remembering now why I got a 2500. It turns out my buddy's dad has a 2013 Ecoboost he will make him a sweet deal on so we'll see.

the 1/2 tons just aren't really built for a lot of work. the engine and drivetrain are more then capable but with a coil suspension they are built more for ride comfort and the occasional tow

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I disagree. The rear is a bit soft, but it can be easily remedied. For almost a year I towed with a 1500 Laramie crew cab short bed with the 5.7 Hemi. And it handled everything we threw at it.

We are full-time travelers, so we're always on the move and towing about 200-300 miles every other week.

11947499_1492416244388071_278324227051823939_n.jpg

Our trailer across the scales came in around 6880 and GCVWR was 14400. It managed the trailer well, it wasn't a race car up hills, but it held it's own.

:favorites13:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 1/2 tons just aren't really built for a lot of work. the engine and drivetrain are more then capable but with a coil suspension they are built more for ride comfort and the occasional tow

I love when people **** on coil springs for towing. It makes it really easy to figure out whos talking out of their ass and can have their opinions completely disregarded.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love when people **** on coil springs for towing. It makes it really easy to figure out whos talking out of their ass and can have their opinions completely disregarded.

i love when people throw out insults without giving any sort of constructive argument. It makes it really easy to figure out who's talking out of their ass and can have their opinions completely disregarded

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i love when people throw out insults without giving any sort of constructive argument.

You're the one making a claim, not my job to make the argument, all I have to do is call you on your BS then a reply like this just goes to show you have none to make.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You're the one making a claim, not my job to make the argument, all I have to do is call you on your BS then a reply like this just goes to show you have none to make.
He did not word it correctly. It isn't the coil spring design that cause the issues. It is the linear soft coil springs for the nice cushy ride that cause the trucks to squat with a bottle of water in the bed.