2013 Factory Trailer Brake Controller Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 CC BigHorn with the factory trailer brake module. In the owners manual, it shows a specific menu on the EVIC for the trailer module to adjust gain and to setup different gains for up to 4 trailers. I do not have this on my EVIC. Went to the dealer and they said it will "pop up when a compatible trailer is attached". At some point I am going to get a travel trailer and would like to be able to setup the gain settings in the EVIC. But without one to test if it will "pop up", I have no way of knowing. I have searched this for a good amount of time to no avail. Does anyone know if this is really the case? It isn't worded like that in the owners manual. Thanks

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't set up the gain for any trailer until you actually tow it. The gain will be different for every trailer based on weight, trailer loading, brake size and condition, etc.

It isn't hard though and only takes seconds to do. A typical setting to start with would be 3 or 4 and adjust from there. If you feel the trailer brakes pulling on the truck, turn it down. If the truck brakes seem to be doing all the work and the trailer is pushing the truck in a stop, then turn it up a little.

Basically, you just want to try to match the trailer brakes and the truck brakes so that the truck stops similarly as with out the trailer. I even adjust my brake controller gain for different roads. For example dirt roads in a campground tend to lock up my trailer brakes on my normal setting, so I adjust a little on the fly.

I have a prodigy brake controller instead of the factory one because I'm a big fan of prodigy, but the settings are similar and the settings are not usually available until a trailer is connected.

Ray

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
my 13 sport always has the trailer tow screen on the EVIC. Until I hook up to an actual trailer it just says "No Trailer Connected" and I cant adjust anything on it. when I hook a trailer up I'm able to adjust the gain and stuff.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can't set up the gain for any trailer until you actually tow it. The gain will be different for every trailer based on weight, trailer loading, brake size and condition, etc.

It isn't hard though and only takes seconds to do. A typical setting to start with would be 3 or 4 and adjust from there. If you feel the trailer brakes pulling on the truck, turn it down. If the truck brakes seem to be doing all the work and the trailer is pushing the truck in a stop, then turn it up a little.

Basically, you just want to try to match the trailer brakes and the truck brakes so that the truck stops similarly as with out the trailer. I even adjust my brake controller gain for different roads. For example dirt roads in a campground tend to lock up my trailer brakes on my normal setting, so I adjust a little on the fly.

I have a prodigy brake controller instead of the factory one because I'm a big fan of prodigy, but the settings are similar and the settings are not usually available until a trailer is connected.

Ray

Hey thanks for the info! That will come in handy when I get my trailer.

my 13 sport always has the trailer tow screen on the EVIC. Until I hook up to an actual trailer it just says "No Trailer Connected" and I cant adjust anything on it. when I hook a trailer up I'm able to adjust the gain and stuff.

Thanks this is what I was wondering. I have no trailer tow screen on my EVIC. Guess I'll be going to the dealer...

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
my evic has a trailer screen when I am disconnected, just states that one is disconnected. and I can adjust the gain while disconnected ....weird.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 2500 manual says it has 4 modes, I belive they were light electric, heavy electric, light electric / hydraulic (I think) and heavy electric / hydraulic. The manual makes it sound if you can select in the evic which one to use. When I hook my TH up it comes up light electric, I have my gain set to 9, I think heavy electric would provide harder breaking enabling me to turn the controller down, but the evic does not allow me to select. Anyone with similar experiences or enlightenment?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just added the OEM controller to mine a few weeks ago. I have my screen set up where the Gain is down in the right corner of the screen...and its always there. If Im not connect to a trailer and squeeze the control it pops up in the EVIC screen but doesnt show anything cause nothing is connected...soon as I connect up it pops up on the screen. But I can adjust my gain anytime connected or not. But as far as I know you cant set it for each trailer...you just have to adjust it per each trailer each time you connect to it.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the help with this. I had an appt with the dealer today and it turns out the trailer brake feature wasn't activated when my truck left the factory. Apparently the 2013+ trucks with the EVIC all have the same software its just certain menus are enabled if the truck has a specific feature such as a the trailer brake controller or air suspension. Took them 5 mins to activate it and I have the trailer menu now. Pretty sweet.

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just added the OEM controller to mine a few weeks ago. I have my screen set up where the Gain is down in the right corner of the screen...and its always there. If Im not connect to a trailer and squeeze the control it pops up in the EVIC screen but doesnt show anything cause nothing is connected...soon as I connect up it pops up on the screen. But I can adjust my gain anytime connected or not. But as far as I know you cant set it for each trailer...you just have to adjust it per each trailer each time you connect to it.

I just order my brake controller today. Getting ready for vacation in a few weeks.
I got ensure the dealer activate my vic also

Last edited: