B&W hitch forward of center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just installed a b&w in my sons 12 short bed.we followed the directions and it's installed correctly. I have one in my 15, and it is pretty much centered in the wheel wells. The 15 is a different part number and uses the factory gooseneck mounting points. The hitch in the 12 sits forward of center a few inches. Just wondering if anyone has one with a toolbox in a short bed, and if you have issues. I could get the offset ball, but would rather not

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'll assume your son has a 2012 RAM HD with a 6' 4" box and "hitch in the 12 sits forward of center a few inches" means forward of the rear axle.

Measure the distance between the front bed wall and the hitch frame, you can find all sizes of tool boxes that can fit.

Moving the pin mount forward of the axle will reduce the turning angle when towing so be aware of that.

OP
OP
D

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll assume your son has a 2012 RAM HD with a 6' 4" box and "hitch in the 12 sits forward of center a few inches" means forward of the rear axle.

Measure the distance between the front bed wall and the hitch frame, you can find all sizes of tool boxes that can fit.

Moving the pin mount forward of the axle will reduce the turning angle when towing so be aware of that.

Correct on all. Already have a toolbox and backrack. Going to hook up
To the trailer as is and see how it looks.

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a B&W in my 2012 1500 crew 5'7" bed. It sits pretty much centered over the axle but it was still too close to my standard size toolbox for comfort so I built an offset ball just like the ones that B&W sells for the short bed trucks. Mine moves the center of the ball 5" towards the rear. I have no problems with mine at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my dually, the ball was just forward of center a few inches, and I thought that was intentional, so the front axle carries some of the weight.

If the ball is centered over the axle, the front won't carry any of the weight at all.

The offset to the front makes it work kinda like a weight distributing hitch.