Can (should) I tow this combination?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zhoenixx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First Post!

I’m looking for some wisdom from the gurus on this forum as to whether or not I can tow this toy hauler.

My truck is a 2017 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi, and towing package with 3.92 gears. Truck weight is 5400 dry, GVWR is 6900, payload is 1510, tow rating is 10160, and GCWR is 15950.

The toy hauler I am looking at is the XLR Hyperlite 29HFS. Dry weight is 7,282 and tongue weight dry is 1,124.

I will be using an equalizer WD hitch rated at 1,400 / 14,000.

In the back of the toy hauler will be a RZR 900 UTV that weighs 1,300.

Two questions, can I safely tow this combination?

And if so, what will the weight of the RZR do to the tongue weight?
Any input help would be greatly appreciated!!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) your numbers don't match the chart, but are real close

2) the UTV will lower the tongue weight, and it may do so a lot.....if the dry tongue weight is 1124, then adding 1300 lbs to the back of the trailer will lift the tongue, effectively removing tongue weight. There is a way to figure out by how much, but it depends on the axle location, tongue to axle distance, and axle to load distance. I'd ask the camper manufacturer how much it will affect it to be sure

3) you are likely gonna be overweight or very very close if you are not careful what you put in the camper (water, tools, etc)

Personally, I'd not pull that big a trailer with a 1500, but if the numbers work out, just be safe.

OP
OP
Z

zhoenixx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) your numbers don't match the chart, but are real close

2) the UTV will lower the tongue weight, and it may do so a lot.....if the dry tongue weight is 1124, then adding 1300 lbs to the back of the trailer will lift the tongue, effectively removing tongue weight. There is a way to figure out by how much, but it depends on the axle location, tongue to axle distance, and axle to load distance. I'd ask the camper manufacturer how much it will affect it to be sure

3) you are likely gonna be overweight or very very close if you are not careful what you put in the camper (water, tools, etc)

Personally, I'd not pull that big a trailer with a 1500, but if the numbers work out, just be safe.
Thanks for the input. Just curious, what chart were you referencing that my numbers don't match with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can figure what the lightest tongue weight of the trailer will be (sort of) by its gross weight. If it's gross is 10k, then figure 10% is the least that the tongue weight will be to be stable. So sure, loading something in the back will lighten the tongue a bit, but not much. Remember that your weight distribution system adds weight as well.

You'll need to figure out what you want to have in the truck with you, as every little bit counts. If you keep the tongue weight down to 1000lbs that only leaves you 500 before you're overloaded. It's not much if your like me, I weigh 220.

We had the same issue, and went to a ¾ ton with the 6.4 hemi. That pushed our payload to 2750 lbs, which is much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
Z

zhoenixx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah, ok.

Mine is 1500, Hemi 5.7, 4WD, 5'7" box, crew cab, 3.92 rear end.

Sounds like mine but 5 yrs newer...but you also didn't say laramie, longhorn, big horn.....that makes a difference too due to the weight of the options

Ya should be fine

OP
OP
Z

zhoenixx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like mine but 5 yrs newer...but you also didn't say laramie, longhorn, big horn.....that makes a difference too due to the weight of the options

Ya should be fine
Big Horn

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Going to be close..... but may be doable if you travel REALLY light in the truck. If you're planning to put a family in the seats or load the bed up with firewood and supplies forget it (notice I didn't say "and"). Either one of those - cab full or people or bed full of stuff will put you overweight.

3/4 ton truck would get you there with a big grin on your face in lieu of white knuckles and sweaty palms. Remember this is supposed to be fun :)

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
FYI the factory hitch is rated for 1100 tounge weight last time I checked.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the general consensus here and on the forest river forum you posted on the other day , is that it's going to be overweight..But what you do with that information is up to you. I'm not sure why Ram chooses to castrate its admittedly powerful 1/2 ton with such low capacity limits..I mean with that Hemi and 3:92 gears it could pull very well, however two bags of dog food in the bed and you're approaching your limits.. An exaggeration of course... sorta..

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had almost the same set up as your truck (2016 1500 CC w/ 3.92 gears) and bought a 30 ft TT weighing 7600 lbs. Fully loaded I'd say I was pretty close to 9,000, leaving me 1,000 Lbs to play with in my numbers. I was running a 10,000 lb WD hitch.

Could the 5.7 pull that much weight? Like a dream, it will pull a house down. The problem with the larger TTs is that they are like sails behind your truck. Anytime you pass a semi, or there is the slightest cross wind you will be white knuckle driving at best. You'll be legal with your numbers sure, but for me the risk vs. reward just wasn't there. If you're going to be towing it within 50 miles of your house and staying off the highway then it might not be too bad.

I ended up training my 1500 in for a 6.4 L 2500 after having the 1500 for 3 months.

It really is a crime that TT manufacturers advertise these huge trailers at 1/2 ton towable, when in all reality legality doesn't always equal safety and peace of mind.

It's your money, I just hate to see people make the same mistake I did. I do have to say though, I love my 2500 way more than I did my 1500 and they are optioned almost identically.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can You? Yes. Should You? Probably not. Depends I think mainly on how much experience you have towing. Get airbags and also check your tire ratings and inflate them to the MAX psi. Have fun!

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had almost the same set up as your truck (2016 1500 CC w/ 3.92 gears) and bought a 30 ft TT weighing 7600 lbs. Fully loaded I'd say I was pretty close to 9,000, leaving me 1,000 Lbs to play with in my numbers. I was running a 10,000 lb WD hitch.

Could the 5.7 pull that much weight? Like a dream, it will pull a house down. The problem with the larger TTs is that they are like sails behind your truck. Anytime you pass a semi, or there is the slightest cross wind you will be white knuckle driving at best. You'll be legal with your numbers sure, but for me the risk vs. reward just wasn't there. If you're going to be towing it within 50 miles of your house and staying off the highway then it might not be too bad.

I ended up training my 1500 in for a 6.4 L 2500 after having the 1500 for 3 months.

It really is a crime that TT manufacturers advertise these huge trailers at 1/2 ton towable, when in all reality legality doesn't always equal safety and peace of mind.

It's your money, I just hate to see people make the same mistake I did. I do have to say though, I love my 2500 way more than I did my 1500 and they are optioned almost identically.

The problem being, not that you still had 1000K available for towing, , but that you were probably over your available payload rating, and probably significantly.
You probably had a tongue weight north of 1200 pounds and by the time you add in your hitch weight, you as a driver, any occupants, and anything else in the truck (running boards, cap, liner) it pushes you over the limit very quickly..

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
With a 1510 payload and an 1124 tongue weight, that leaves you 386 lbs of passengers and cargo for the truck.

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The problem being, not that you still had 1000K available for towing, , but that you were probably over your available payload rating, and probably significantly.
You probably had a tongue weight north of 1200 pounds and by the time you add in your hitch weight, you as a driver, any occupants, and anything else in the truck (running boards, cap, liner) it pushes you over the limit very quickly..

I suppose my post wasn't very clear. 9000 lbs (best guess and I feel like I am probably over estimating here) is loaded down with everything I need for camping (firewood, tools, dishes, etc). The 1000 lbs leftover was for passenger, truck add ons (which I had very few) etc. I admittedly have never weighed my setup, as I didn't have the 1500 long enough to get a chance, and the setup doesn't come close to being an issue with my 2500. It is unlikely that I was over payload, as I had zero squat and evenly distributed cargo throughout the trailer. However, if I was over payload with my setup and the same tow rating as OP then he is going to have a hell of a time making payload once he adds his RZR.

Reguardless, my experience with it being pushed all over the road was the same when I drove it home 60 miles from the dealership dry.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I suppose my post wasn't very clear. 9000 lbs (best guess and I feel like I am probably over estimating here) is loaded down with everything I need for camping (firewood, tools, dishes, etc). The 1000 lbs leftover was for passenger, truck add ons (which I had very few) etc. I admittedly have never weighed my setup, as I didn't have the 1500 long enough to get a chance, and the setup doesn't come close to being an issue with my 2500. It is unlikely that I was over payload, as I had zero squat and evenly distributed cargo throughout the trailer. However, if I was over payload with my setup and the same tow rating as OP then he is going to have a hell of a time making payload once he adds his RZR.

Reguardless, my experience with it being pushed all over the road was the same when I drove it home 60 miles from the dealership dry.

Me thinks you may be confusing towing limits with payload limits? For instance, that 9K trailer would have a tongue weight of approximately 1100-1200 pounds or so (+/- of course). Your payload for your 1/2 ton was probably in the 1200-1600 range.. so subtract 1200 pounds from 1600 pounds and that leaves you 400 pounds of available payload. Subtract out your Hitch (about 80 poundish?) and your down around 300 pounds available.. If you have a bedliner, running boards etc, take away more weight and your suddenly down to about 150 pounds of payload left, and you havent put a driver in your truck yet..Regardless you did wise by moving up to a larger truck with those weights.

I did the same exact thing for the same exact reason.. ford 1/2 ton to ram 3/4 ton.. I am also very pleased with the decision.

Glad you like the truck!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Me thinks you may be confusing towing limits with payload limits? For instance, that 9K trailer would have a tongue weight of approximately 1100-1200 pounds or so (+/- of course). Your payload for your 1/2 ton was probably in the 1200-1600 range.. so subtract 1200 pounds from 1600 pounds and that leaves you 400 pounds of available payload. Subtract out your Hitch (about 80 poundish?) and your down around 300 pounds available.. If you have a bedliner, running boards etc, take away more weight and your suddenly down to about 150 pounds of payload left, and you havent put a driver in your truck yet..Regardless you did wise by moving up to a larger truck with those weights.

I did the same exact thing for the same exact reason.. ford 1/2 ton to ram 3/4 ton.. I am also very pleased with the decision.

Glad you like the truck!

and in the previous 2 posts....the razr will HELP tongue/payload, as that weight will be at the back of the trailer, which will take weight OFF the truck for payload/tongue weight...but it will increase trailer weight.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and in the previous 2 posts....the razr will HELP tongue/payload, as that weight will be at the back of the trailer, which will take weight OFF the truck for payload/tongue weight...but it will increase trailer weight.

And put a ton of weight far away from CM, resulting in the trailer swaying all over the place.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Imo, too much trailer for most all 1\2 ton rams. Most 1/2 tons in general. The Nissan titan xd or ford f150 with the max payload option maybe.

I upgraded from a 1500 2015 Silverado in late December to my ram 2500 and absolutely love it. Best decision i could have made. My Silverado had 1704 lbs of payload, not bad for a half ton but still not enough for that toy hauler.

At this point as long as i can afford it and manage it, I'll have 2500 or 3500 series trucks from here going forward. Just my. 02. Good luck