Fifth Wheel Hitch Questions!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWeir91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to towing, but I'm buying a 28ft fifth wheel camper in a few days and I'm wondering if i can even install a hitch on my truck. I've got a 3" PA body lift and I'm wondering if there is a kit out there compatible with it or if it's even a good idea to use a fifth wheel when you have a body lift (I'm thinking probably not). I don't plan on going far with it or even taking it on highways; just from my house to a few local parks from time to time.

Any thoughts, comments or concerns??? :confused: Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Assuming its a half ton, they aren't really built for fifth wheels and it is not recommended to pull one

OP
OP
M

MWeir91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm aware that 3/4 and 1 tons are more ideal for towing such a thing, but I have seen a lot of 1/2 tons doing it. That being said, It's an older trailer, and my intent is more of a "park in one place and party" type of deal, so maybe i'll just borrow a 3/4 whats already outfitted with a fifth wheel whenever i need to move it.

Thanks for the response!

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The BL/5th wheel combo would really throw a wrench in the works as well. The 5th wheel hitch bolts to the frame through the bed, and since the bed is lifted 3in higher than stock, I doubt any of the hitches would work anyway. Also, like stated above usually half tons don't get set up with 5th wheels. Not having a full size bed can cause some setup issues with tight turns, let alone the softer suspension, and lighter frames.

I will say though I would personally rather see a bunch of light 5th wheels going down the road than all the bumper pulls, especially when any weight is involved. Hitching above the axle just provides so much more stability than bumper hitching.