Heavy Electric Setting on 2013 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys.

Been a lurker on your forum since 2010, so let me first thank you for all the problems you guys have helped me with since then. Much appreciated. You are a very good source of info, and have helped me solve quite a few problems.

Praise out of the way, now let me throw myself at your feet begging for help.

I recently traded my 2010 1500 for a 2013, and had the dealer install the OEM Trailer brake controller. I cannot get it to change the braking power from light electric to heavy electric. The dealer's techs kept it for almost two days and were unable to figure the problem out, even with chrysler Canada's help.

I access my vehicle settings through my radio, Model: 8.4N (not 8.4AN, which isn't available for Canadian market). I have all 4 brake options listed and can select heavy electric, however my EVIC is only giving me a light electric setting. At a gain of 10 and with full braking power (Meter goes to 100%) I'm not getting enough stopping power.

I had an OEM brake controller in the 2010 and the only way I got full power to my trailer brakes was with the heavy electric setting.

What I know:

1. ALL Trailer brakes are fine and working (4 trailers all tandem axle)
  2. I am getting some stopping power, just not enough.
  3. Uconnect software version: 13.15.4
  4. No error codes recorded during trailer towing (dealer verified)
  5. I can select all 4 break power settings on the radio, however i should only be able to select heavy or light electric on the 1500. I should not be able to select either of the Hydrolic options.
  6. Evic displays everything else to do with the controller properly, just not the heavy electric setting.

What I think:

1. Something, somewhere needs to be updated.

If anyone knows of a solution or has a suggestion, I could really use some help. REALLY frustrating, but I dont want to take it out on my guys at the dealer. Normally they are excellent.

If you have the OEM brake controller and are able to select the Heavy Electric type, I would greatly appreciated your EVIC and/or Uconnect software version number.

Thanks

Ken

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EVIC and Radio pic

Here are pics showing my issue. Heavy Electric selected on radio, but light electric showing on EVIC.

Attachments

• 20130827_090936.jpg
    20130827_090936.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20130827_090926.jpg
    20130827_090926.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 119

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
weird, I dunno, I am gonna have to go look at mine...i'll be haulin my camper this weekend, so i'll play around with it then.
unless the evic is displaying a different trailer than "trailer 1" but I don't think that's the case, I think u can have 4 trailers setup in there?
maybe something to do with that?

I could be wrong but I *thought* there was another post on this someplace around here too?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
weird, I dunno, I am gonna have to go look at mine...i'll be haulin my camper this weekend, so i'll play around with it then.
unless the evic is displaying a different trailer than "trailer 1" but I don't think that's the case, I think u can have 4 trailers setup in there?
maybe something to do with that?

I could be wrong but I *thought* there was another post on this someplace around here too?

Yup I can select any of the 4 trailers in the radio, and i know it changes in the EVIC because if i have them at different gains it reflects in the gain display on the EVIC. Just won't change to heavy electric.

There is a thread there, and you actually commented in it, but it deals with the EVIC not controlling the trailer at all. That was solved for that poster by the dealer doing the flash on the EVIC. I have that flash, they did it when they installed the ITBC. And they claim that its the latest.

Could it be that no one has noticed this problem before?

sicivics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 and installed the factory brake controller too and had the EVIC flashed. My EVIC only allows me to select light trailer too. Members here as well as dealer advised me that you can only select light trailer because we have a 1500. Heavy trailer setting is made for trailers with triple axles and our trucks (1500) are not rated to tow that type of trailer or weight.

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 and installed the factory brake controller too and had the EVIC flashed. My EVIC only allows me to select light trailer too. Members here as well as dealer advised me that you can only select light trailer because we have a 1500. Heavy trailer setting is made for trailers with triple axles and our trucks (1500) are not rated to tow that type of trailer or weight.

But the manual for the truck and the brochure for the ITBC all state that the 1500s are allowed to select light and heavy electric (See OM excerpt below). I have four tandem axle trailers and two triaxles. I use this truck to deliver them to job sites empty. When empty my triaxles weigh 2000lbs and my tandems 1500lbs, way below the weight limit of the truck.

I was always able to select heavy electric on the ITBC on the 2010. So why is it an issue now? If all the literature states that we can use light and heavy electric on our 1500s why cant I select it. Light electric is not enough power for even the tandems.

Everything in writing state's that we should have this feature, and don't forget I had it on the 2010.

Does anybody anybody know how I can escalate this to Chrysler Canada. It's really becoming inconvenient now. I have to be taking my 2500s from job sites to deliver empty trailers.

p.s. Love your truck. Was never crazy about red on a truck until I saw them on the 4th Gen. Sweet.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 163

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
Trailer Brake Type
When this feature is selected, the Trailer Brake Type can be changed between “Light Electric” and “Heavy Electric”. To make your selection, scroll up or down until the preferred setting is highlighted, then press and release the SELECT button until a check-mark appears next to the setting, showing that the setting has been selected. Refer to “Integrated Trailer Brake Module” in “Starting And Operating.”

Note: 1500 Models Only – Light Electric and Heavy Electric will only be available due to the tow capacities of the vehicle.

I think this statement might be the answer

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trailer Brake Type
When this feature is selected, the Trailer Brake Type can be changed between “Light Electric” and “Heavy Electric”. To make your selection, scroll up or down until the preferred setting is highlighted, then press and release the SELECT button until a check-mark appears next to the setting, showing that the setting has been selected. Refer to “Integrated Trailer Brake Module” in “Starting And Operating.”

Note: 1500 Models Only – Light Electric and Heavy Electric will only be available due to the tow capacities of the vehicle.

I think this statement might be the answer

It is the answer. But it just wont do it.

Attachments

• uconnect.jpg
    uconnect.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 105
  • EVIC.jpg
    EVIC.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 452

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2013 laramie with the most current 8.4an update. I tried mine today after reading your thread and I can select between light electric and heavy electric on the navi screen, and it saves it, but when I activate the brake controller manually, it says light electric on the EVIC like yours...even though heavy electric is selected on the navi screen. Is it possible it is because there is not a trailer with brakes attached to it??? My trailer I have here doesnt have brakes so that is no use to check out

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would think heavy electric would be an option especially considering most campers are tandem axle, as well as larger utility landscape type trailers

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 laramie with the most current 8.4an update. I tried mine today after reading your thread and I can select between light electric and heavy electric on the navi screen, and it saves it, but when I activate the brake controller manually, it says light electric on the EVIC like yours...even though heavy electric is selected on the navi screen. Is it possible it is because there is not a trailer with brakes attached to it??? My trailer I have here doesnt have brakes so that is no use to check out

Not sure if it should change when a trailer isn't connected, because I can't get it to change even when a trailer IS connected. What I do know is that the power gauge wont respond without a trailer connected.

I would think heavy electric would be an option especially considering most campers are tandem axle, as well as larger utility landscape type trailers

I'm Tired of justifying my needs to the service department. I'm so frustrated now, that I'm in danger of ruining my rep at the dealership as the 'Gentle Giant.'

Bottom line:

IT IS A LISTED FEATURE OF THE ITBC AND THE 1500S. YOU MUST GET IT WORKING.

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
this is certainly odd. I dont understand why it gives the options of light or heavy on the screen, but the EVIC only shows light and the gain, etc.? Everything I read in the manual says it should work (as you have said).

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is certainly odd. I dont understand why it gives the options of light or heavy on the screen, but the EVIC only shows light and the gain, etc.? Everything I read in the manual says it should work (as you have said).

And don't forget, it worked on my 2010 for 3 years flawlessly. Even when the trailer brakes were dead, flat, done and kaput.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sorry for your issues I have read this thread and this is a perfect example of fixing something that isn't broke. Hopefully this all gets figured out soon and you can still have your gentle giant rep at the dealer. :)

Tommygun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can testify that the heavy setting should work. I have a 2013 Laramie CC and I have a I tow a '23 travel trailer w/ tandem axles that weighs 4790 lbs dry. The first time I hooked up to the trailer I had the trailer brake set to heavy electric (which turned out to be to much braking). and it read heavy electric on the EVIC. I hope that they can figure this out for you.

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can testify that the heavy setting should work. I have a 2013 Laramie CC and I have a I tow a '23 travel trailer w/ tandem axles that weighs 4790 lbs dry. The first time I hooked up to the trailer I had the trailer brake set to heavy electric (which turned out to be to much braking). and it read heavy electric on the EVIC. I hope that they can figure this out for you.

Thanks Tommygun. It's frustrating as hell. Question for you? Are your vehicle settings accessed through the EVIC or your Radio?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Batram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just got my 2013 Ram 1500 a couple weeks ago & towed my holiday trailer with it last weekend. The trailer is a 25' tandem axle toy hauler, 7700lbs loaded. I read this post before I towed and I can select heavy electric on the radio & it also says heavy electric on the EVIC. I'm pretty sure yours isn't functioning properly. I have my gain set @ 5.5 & it gives me lots of stopping power.

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am a newb at this, but any chance the selection can only be made (and remembered by evic) once the trailer is actually connected?? It has to be something simple as to why mine wont do it (I dont have a heavy electric right now to test it on though) and the OP's wont do it

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a newb at this, but any chance the selection can only be made (and remembered by evic) once the trailer is actually connected?? It has to be something simple as to why mine wont do it (I dont have a heavy electric right now to test it on though) and the OP's wont do it

Nope. I've tried it with and without the trailers connected. No difference.

OP
OP
kenwitter

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Batram and Tommygun. Is there any difference in your radio software version? Pic of mine below.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378818247305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378818247305.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 49