Reverse pushing 12 degree uphill 4000lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maru487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I apologize in advance if there is already a post similar to this or if the post is in the wrong location. I know very little about trucks and have looked on google (and here) alot to find an answer.

So I want to reverse (push) a yard of concrete up a driveway (4000-4500lbs). The cart is one of those ucart units that have the four wheels and the jack to tilt the concrete out.
http://u-cart.ca/photos/060629_creation/picture16.jpg

The driveway is around 12 degrees and my work truck is a 2014 3500 6.4L hemi. I have the 4x4 high and low options.

Am I out to lunch in thinking I could reverse it up, or is this a non issue for this type of truck? I could reduce the amount of concrete per trip.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Non-issue...... the only potential problem would be if the trailer has an "overrun" brake that is super old technology and/or was having some problem. If the trailer has standard electric brakes that you control from inside the truck you're fine. If not - read this:

How to reverse a trailer with run-in brakes?

Braking thing aside, the gear ratio for Reverse is easily capable of pushing 2X that much weight up the hill. If traction is an issue at all pop it into 4LO and you'll really be impressed.

On Edit: Looking at your picture those trailers look pretty new. I can't imagine they would have the braking problem but you might ask the rental place to be sure. You have way more than enough truck for the job.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The driveway is around 12 degrees and my work truck is a 2014 3500 6.4L hemi. I have the 4x4 high and low options.

Am I out to lunch in thinking I could reverse it up

Here is my experience (or lack-of) when backing up a lower profile trailer, visibility of the trailer. Sitting high in a 3500 makes it difficult to see what you are backing up, the shorter length keeps the trailer out of mirror view. The backup camera may help but likely will be filled by the trailer profile.

It could prove useful to use 4x4 low range but you could run into binding if you have steer hard.
There is also this: https://www.dieselperformance.com/s...0-2009-2016-2500-2014-2016-3500-2013-2016-586

Wow, awesome find. I use 4x4 low all the time when maneuvering the fiver in a campground but do get the binding when turning the steering to its extreme, even on dirt/gravel/grass road surfaces. Going to order this nifty option today. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

maru487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
This is awesome feedback! :favorites13: There is still a few other issues like spillage at that angle, possible hitch drag, etc but the big one was not knowing about the power to push.

Thanks again, very appreciated !!