Transmission shutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have the 3500 DRW with the Aisin Tranny with 3:72 gears. I was pulling a trailer and load totaling 15k pounds. The Tow/Haul mode was locked in and when pulling out from a stop I noticed what seemed like an unbalanced torque converter thru 1st and 2nd gear. After that it all seemed to settle down. The shake was so severe that between 1st and second gear it seemed to go into neutral for a long pause. Has anyone else had this happen? I am worried since the truck is new, only 3500 miles. It can not be detected when I remove the trailer and normal driving.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked fluid levels?

If ok, get it documented on video happening or with a tech riding shotgun. Let Ram figure it out.

Could be axle wrap too.

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Fluid level is full. What is axle wrap?

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Maybe tighten the hinges on your shutters.
But it also sounds like your transmission has a shudder. Check band adjustment.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fluid level is full. What is axle wrap?

In a nutshell, when you put power to the ground via the wheel, the axle housing wants to turn the opposite way. This force will cause the leaf spring to bend like an S. This loads up energy in the spring and can cause extreme angles at the u-joint.

If the tires break loose, the spring energy is released until enough traction is gained to load back up. this is what wheel hop is.

If they don't and just experience extreme angle at ujoint it feels like a vibration or shudder.

Fixes include clamping the front leafs, ladder bars, pinion snubbers, slapper bars, roadmaster active suspension, etc...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks for the spelling correction...you are correct.

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
In a nutshell, when you put power to the ground via the wheel, the axle housing wants to turn the opposite way. This force will cause the leaf spring to bend like an S. This loads up energy in the spring and can cause extreme angles at the u-joint.

If the tires break loose, the spring energy is released until enough traction is gained to load back up. this is what wheel hop is.

If they don't and just experience extreme angle at ujoint it feels like a vibration or shudder.

Fixes include clamping the front leafs, ladder bars, pinion snubbers, slapper bars, roadmaster active suspension, etc...

Has this happened to anyone here? There is no wheel hop and I can't see the springs bending to an S shape. This shudder happens when starting out slow and even with the slightest increase of pedal. It almost feels like the torque converter is out of balance. As stated, this increased the more weight you add to the trailer.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Axle wrap is very common. The last Gen F150 ecoboosts had shudder under acceleration from that very issue. As consumers demand a more refined ride, the springs get longer and more plush. Loading 4,000lbs of pin weight and gear in your truck squats, making it easier to twist the axle to the point of binding the u-joint a bit.

Is this your problem? I dunno. Your problem could be a number of things. I've read of others having shudder pulling heavy or under hard acceleration, but with the 68RFE and the concensus blamed the trans as slipping.

Take it to the dealer. Reproduce the issue and get it documented. Let your warranty handle the rest.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i had axle wrap on my titan. It didn't shutter, it was more a clunk. I installed leaf spring helpers and that helped it out.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Has this happened to anyone here? There is no wheel hop and I can't see the springs bending to an S shape. This shudder happens when starting out slow and even with the slightest increase of pedal. It almost feels like the torque converter is out of balance. As stated, this increased the more weight you add to the trailer.
My Dakota had that. Totally different truck but same situation. Had a shudder with slight pressure on the throttle, again on slight inclines (throttle increase) and was terrible loaded. Found that out when we put a 1200LB Moose in the box.
Thought tires, new, no. Thought torque converter, god no, no. Thought driveshafts, rebuilt, no. Transmission and engine mounts, new, no. Shocks, new, no.
What's left? Damn simple band adjustment. **** me off.
But that 99 was new. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Did a little testing. This happened the first time that I towed with the newly installed Air Assist Bags. The bags were inflated to 100lbs when I check them. The ride height was at the same as without any load or trailer on the truck. I took the pressure down to 90lbs, the height stayed the same. The shudder happened when starting out. Little at first on flat ground but worse if starting on a hill or giving it more throttle. I then let out some air to 50 lbs but the ride height lowered by 2 inches. The shudder was almost gone when starting out. I then let the air out to 10lbs, the amount that should be run when not towing and the shudder was barely noticeable. Had I not been looking for it I would have never noticed. My question is ,and Firestone has yet to admit that this happens , does this make sense with these airbags? They improve the ride and stability greatly when towing.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have read that some users have found Air Bags to make axle wrap worse. Something to do with the bags taking all the preload off the springs so they are less able to resist wrap.

Others, like F250 owners, find air bags help because their shudder originates from sagging so bad under load.

Use your Google-Fu.

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have read that some users have found Air Bags to make axle wrap worse. Something to do with the bags taking all the preload off the springs so they are less able to resist wrap.

Others, like F250 owners, find air bags help because their shudder originates from sagging so bad under load.

Use your Google-Fu.
What you said makes a lot of sense. Once I deflated the bags a little, making the truck sag, the issue almost went away. It certainly help correct the problem. Aren't forums great for discussions like this? Do you happen to have any information as to why my truck can't find my phone contacts all the time?

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
What you said makes a lot of sense. Once I deflated the bags a little, making the truck sag, the issue almost went away. It certainly help correct the problem. Aren't forums great for discussions like this? Do you happen to have any information as to why my truck can't find my phone contacts all the time?

Almost isn't gone. Try all air out.
Different truck but with my sagged old springs I run my bags at 50 psi all the time and larger then stock tires and bad shocks and I experience no axle wrap.

VTRammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I also was getting what at first I thought was tranny shudder. This was with a 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel. It felt and sounded as if I was riding across "rumble strips". It was intermittent and would subside either with letting up or giving more throttle. According to Jeep automotive engineers much smarter than me this symptom was caused by carbon buildup on the intake valve stems. The cure? Replace the heads on an engine with less than 7k miles. Not acceptable. Since I really don't trust rebuilds by who knows who, I traded it in on a 2015 RAM Outdoorsman Quad cab (didn't even know this model existed) with 5.7 HEMI, 8 speed transmission. Am anxious to start towing my 6200 lb travel trailer but am confident with 420 lb ft of torque this engine won't break a sweat. :) I must admit though that the Jeep towed the trailer admirably returning 16 MPG and 31 empty. This however was BEFORE the rumble strip noises began.