Tuff Truck TTC-1210 vs TTC-1223

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my09hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They sell 2 different version replacement 2009+ rear coils=+25% & +50% over capacity, and was wondering if anyone has installed them and which one they were happy with?
I tow a 5000# camping trailer 1 or 2 times a month; I was thinking of the +25%, which anything better than stock would be a major improvement.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking seriously of it, but am SO happy with the Airlift 1000 that I won't bother. At 5000# I can't see the increased ride rigidity being worth the lessening of the sag, but to each their own.
(I was a very hesitant Airlift customer, but am completely won over)

OP
OP
my09hemi

my09hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added the airlift 1000 already and not happy. Air up to 30psi to level truck n trailer and nothing but porpoising, tried 25, then 20psi. But goes away at 5psi. at that no sense having anymore.
but thanks for your reply.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Air up to 30psi to level truck n trailer and nothing but porpoising

What do you mean by 'porpoising? I haven't heard the term.
please educate me
thanks

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah- sorry, I didn't know you'd tried. Are you running a DW hitch?
How is the air pressure in the trucks tires?
Did you play with the loading of the trailer? (putting more gear to the front/rear, filling fresh water tank, etc)?

I have read only 1, second-hand review the the TT springs which were +25% and he said his brother couldn't tell the difference in ride quality over stock.
I might suggest a phone conversation with the folks at TuffTruck about your situation and see what they recommend. I believe the ride quality of the +25%, but would be anxious over how firm the +50% would be when unladen.

Porpoising: What it is, and how to stop it

OP
OP
my09hemi

my09hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Porpoising- up & down movement at the rear of truck. if I air the bags down and let the Timbren engage it goes away, but rear of truck is about 3 inches lower and can't crank up the WDH 'cause of the light weight trailer frame. My rear coils have been shot since buying but dealership always claimed within specs.
I will call the factory and inquire more about what the ride is like with the 50% over.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know what the factory spring rate is?
Any reputable spring manufacturer should tell you what their rate is so you can do the math and not rely on their +25/+50% claims.

OP
OP
my09hemi

my09hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to Randy at Otto-Max:
TTC-1210 excellent replacement coils for minor weights, great ride unladen
TTC-1223 purposely for constantly loaded, horrible unladen
TTC-1223V is a variable rate coil, heavy duty enough to handle extra weight or towing and great unladen.
With that my choice is the variable rate coils.

OP
OP
my09hemi

my09hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to Randy at Otto-Max:
TTC-1210 excellent replacement coils for minor weights, great ride unladen
TTC-1223 purposely for constantly loaded, horrible unladen
And for type of driving/towing suggested the latest add to their line:
TTC-1223V is a variable rate coil, heavy duty enough to handle extra weight or towing and great unladen.
With that my choice is the variable rate coils.

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you tried towing with just the airlifts and not the timbrens? I wonder if when you hit a bump you hit the timbrens and bounce off and the airlift "shoot" the truck back up then it bounces back down on the timbrens and on and on. Just a thought.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Tibrens are the problem, no question.
Ours are as hard as hockey pucks and pretty much stay engaged the whole time we towed our TT with a 650lb tongue weight. Unless, that is, it was bouncing off the frame making us feel like we were on a crappy, bumpy fair ride.
Have you tried towing w/o the Timbrens and otherwise stock? With a 5K trailer you'd sag but not hurt aything and might have a better picture of the problem. Besides, it takes all of 2 minutes to pop the Timbrens out and replace the bumpstops.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am interested to hear what you do and how you like the new springs if you get them. I just installed my Airlift 1000's this weekend but it will be a few weeks before I take our TT on the road again.

OP
OP
my09hemi

my09hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the ideas and help, I just think I have a black cloud hanging over me.
Lately the ride has been worse than usual without towing the trailer; and I spent my st patty's day under my truck. Found the timbren engaged for which I have it setup 1-1/4" away from the pads, so the rear dropped a lot. Also the bags are losing air someplace, I ran new airlines. So I removed the timbren installed original useless bumpstops and released the air. I will have to order the variable rate coil springs sooner than expected, oh darn it-depressing.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did I miss something?? How did the rear drop 1/4"???
Try and keep at l;east 5lbs of air in those bags so they don't get pinched in the coils! At least when changing out the coils, replacing the bags will be super easy, and it's a great excuse for a useful mod :emotions36:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I haul a lot with my Timbrens in, and my airbags at 35psi. I haven't experienced the porpoising like you are talking about, but occasionally when going over a hump in the road I get a nice decaying sine wave type bounce. I don't think the Timbrens are your problem, and it sounds like you have long term concerns about the stock springs which is probably where your problem lies.

If after adding the new springs you still have the problem you might consider upgrading your shocks to ones with a higher damping coefficient. This would help the decay rate increase if not eliminate it.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are these HD springs easy to install?

Extremely easy. Have TTC-1223 and it took no time at all really. Did shocks at the same time. Happy with them. I have a thread here which outlines a bit with pictures.

http://www.ramforum.com/f119/first_towing_mod_installed-_ttc-1223_rancho_9000xl-47779/

I have the 1223- the heavier rate coil. My passenger load by itself is around 850-900lbs, so a heavy duty coil is what I needed.

A note I may add- the ass end will sit a tad higher. They are the same length as OEM, but with less give, they don't squash as much under the box even unloaded.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaGOAT1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L FFV
Thanks Mike. I ordered the coil springs with variable rate. I plan on loading a pop up camper on the back (Palomino SS-1251 model). I was concerned about the load weight.

Jeff

Extremely easy. Have TTC-1223 and it took no time at all really. Did shocks at the same time. Happy with them. I have a thread here which outlines a bit with pictures.

http://www.ramforum.com/f119/first_towing_mod_installed-_ttc-1223_rancho_9000xl-47779/

I have the 1223- the heavier rate coil. My passenger load by itself is around 850-900lbs, so a heavy duty coil is what I needed.

A note I may add- the ass end will sit a tad higher. They are the same length as OEM, but with less give, they don't squash as much under the box even unloaded.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
Thanks Mike. I ordered the coil springs with variable rate. I plan on loading a pop up camper on the back (Palomino SS-1251 model). I was concerned about the load weight.

Jeff

I'm getting my TTC-1223V variable rate coils installed on Thursday, in addition to some Air Lift 1000 bags inside the coils. I won't be able to test them loaded for a month or two, so I'll be interested in hearing how you like the new coils on your rig.