2005 QC rear springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This was my question in the towing section:
This past weekend I towed my mom's 20(?) ft travel trailer. I didn't take it too far but noticed the rear end sagged pretty far. Her F-150 doesn't sag as much as my truck does and hers is a 99. I will be buying a 23 ft travel trailer next year, so I need to do something to help out in the rear end. I know there are a number of things you can add to the truck like air bags and the torsion hook ups, but would a 2500 spring conversion get me there? I'm assuming the 2500 rear springs are stiffer. I'm also assuming the ride will change a bit. Has anyone been through this? Any insight for as to which way I should be leaning? Thanks!!

***I have one question to add to anyone who has done this.

Does this make the rear of the truck sit higher than it does with 1500 springs?

Last edited:

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guy who owned my truck before me did this, not sure how honestly. But my rear end is definetly stiffer, i towed a full bed of **** and a 12 foot uhaul trailer completely loaded down and the rear end didnt budge. And yes to your other question. My rear (even with my t bars cranked fully) still sit about 1.5" higher then the front end. And my truck next to my buddys 06 stock ram i tower over him. I sit about even with a ram with a 4" lift.

Camo Ram

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK. Found it!

Heavy Duty Truck Leaf Steel Springs. These extra heavy duty leaf springs carry more weight than the original springs.

This says the 2500 springs are 2 1/4 inches shorter than the 1500. The total lift (by my calculations) is around 4 inches. The big issue is the width of the leafs. The 2500 is 3 inches wide where as the 1500 is 2 1/2 inches wide. This means the shackles, u-bolts, mount pads and the shackle mounts would need to be changed. I'm still waiting to see if anyone has done this...

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like the Add-a-leaf might be the hot ticket. There is no way to fit a 3 inch wide spring on my truck. My only other option is to install HD 1500 springs but to the tune of $310 ea. No thanks.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On second thought, looks like I will opt for the air bag kit. Airlift makes a 2,000 lb kit which is all I should need. $220 is a smoking deal in my opinion. Whats everyone's opinion on this?

2002-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 Ton Pickup 2WD & 4WD - Ride Control Air Helper Springs [REAR] - 59551 | $270.85

Hey Ched

Did you ever go with the bags?

I was considering going either the Airlift route or the Hellweg helper progressive springs.

Then, for some reason, it occurred to me that I may need new shocks.

I don't know what to do here.

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have not yet. The bathroom remodel is taking alk my extra money now.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I put a set of Ride Rite bags in my truck for hauling pellets. I can now put a ton in the bed and when I blow them up the truck sits just as high as it does empty. When the truck is empty I leave about 5psi in the bags and it rides smoother than it did before I installed them.

Don't change the leafs, install the bags. You won't regret it.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a set of Ride Rite bags in my truck for hauling pellets. I can now put a ton in the bed and when I blow them up the truck sits just as high as it does empty. When the truck is empty I leave about 5psi in the bags and it rides smoother than it did before I installed them.

Don't change the leafs, install the bags. You won't regret it.

That's the way I was leaning.

It looks like the Airlift brand simply bolts on with U bolts where as the Firestone models need holes drilled in the frame?
This isn't something I really want to do myself as I have not the facility, time, nor tools to do it.

I mean, if I HAD to, I could. It'd involve me crawling around under the truck or buying a creeper lol.

What's your setup?
Do you have a compressor hooked to your truck? Active monitoring?

I have a 12v little air compressor I use to just keep the PSI in the tires where it should be. I'm guessing this would work to inflate the bags? I'd always have a source of air for them as well.

I know my rig had a monitoring system that always kept the right amount of air in the bags.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is the kit I got. Firestone 2299 - 2006-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 & 2wd - "Ride-Rite" Air Bag Helper Springs (Rear) | SuspensionConnection.com

No drilling required. May be different from your truck though because mine is a Mega Cab so it's technically a 2500 chassis. The picture is different from what actually came too. Mine don't set on the springs but inside on the axle. Then the upper mount replaces the bump stop. Everything just bolts in place. I ran my lines to the back of the truck and put the schrader valves on either side of my license plate. I had a $10 compressor from Big Lots that plugs into a cigarette lighter. Problem was now that the cord on the compressor wasn't long enough to reach the back of the truck. So, I went to Walmart and bought a 7-pin trailer plug and aftermarket 12V outlet and wired them together. So now I just plug it into my trailer outlet and have power right there.

EDIT: Here is what the kit actually looks like.
http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Firestone/F2299.html

EDIT II: Here's one for a 1500 that I don't think requires drilling. You can always e-mail them to ask.
http://www.etrailer.com/product.asp...06&vehicleid=20061009517#prod-acc-onlyreviews

Last edited:

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most excellent bud.

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

And the video was the icing on the cake.

too easy

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
etrailer.com has become one of my favorite sites. I can spend hours browsing their site. Guys are great at answering any questions you have and usually reply pretty quickly.