Towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeputyDipShizz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 06 with a Hemi and SC tuner...has the towing package but no controller...are these plug and play or is wiring needed? A friend of mine wants me to tow his car to and from the track for him...found another friend with a trailer willing to lend it to me for him too...1500lb for the trailer with brakes and a 79 camaro on it...Can the RAM handle it?

-TapATalkAholic-

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When you buy the controller, ask if they have a harness to connect it to your truck. The harness has ends on it, one plugs into controller and the other into a plug on your truck, it usually costs $10 to $15 for harness. If you don't buy it, your truck should've come with a wiring harness (usually in the glove). This has a connector on one end to plug into your truck, then you hardwire the other end to the connector.

If you have a Camping World store, or another RV place, near you I would suggest it...they will have a number of controllers to choose from, and should have the harness too.

I bought both and it literally took about 5 minutes to install...worst part is laying in the floor of your truck to mount the bracket. Speaking of that, my truck even had starter dimples to screw in the bracket.

EDIT: I don't know about your truck's towing capacity but if I had to guess I would think it would be rated for the weight of the trailer and car. Your truck may sag some, and may feel "floaty" in the front while towing.

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I say you should be fine towing that much. Uhaul also carries the harnesses. I got mine there for $10, then when I got underneath seen that one was already plugged in just the wires cut to the controller.