Towing advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E-carp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
V10 Magnum
So I'm heading out Tuesday morning in my 01 2500 v10 and my buddy's 18' tilt bed car trailer to Atlanta to pick up a car.

I've read to make sure you're out of overdrive when towing. Does that apply to an empty trailer as well?

Any other tips or advice? This is my first time towing with the beast as I've only had it a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If your on he highway I would say its safe to put it overdrive, just take it out for hills

Check your tire pressure, watch your mirrors and traveler safe speeds
Keep in mind that it's back there do give yourself more room then usual

You should be more then ok for the trip!

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm heading out Tuesday morning in my 01 2500 v10 and my buddy's 18' tilt bed car trailer to Atlanta to pick up a car.

I've read to make sure you're out of overdrive when towing. Does that apply to an empty trailer as well?

Any other tips or advice? This is my first time towing with the beast as I've only had it a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a trans temp gauge?

The goal of locking out OD is lower temps, and keeping the transmission from gear hunting, which creates a lot of heat and wear.

If you don't know what the trans temp is, probably best to lock out OD, loaded or unloaded.

OP
OP
E

E-carp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
V10 Magnum
I just put a brand new set of load range E Bridgestones on last Thursday. I haven't checked the tire pressure yet, but it all feel a like they put the max 80 psi in. I'm going to drop it down to 60/65 front in back.

My friend who is a former Dodge dealer said he ran 40-45 in his V-10 dually. Is that even safe?

No trans temp gauge. Both the car and the trailer are pretty light, so I'm wondering if I should really worry about it unloaded? Once I pick the car up I'll probably take it out of o/d for sure though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I personally never tow anything without being in tow haul and have never had a problem with my rigs. You will use more gas because of RPMs but cheaper than a trans.

I am not sure if the newer vehicles allow overdrive to engage in tow/haul but on older vehicles like my Durango it simply is called overdrive off not tow/haul.

Last edited:

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a brand new set of load range E Bridgestones on last Thursday. I haven't checked the tire pressure yet, but it all feel a like they put the max 80 psi in. I'm going to drop it down to 60/65 front in back.

My friend who is a former Dodge dealer said he ran 40-45 in his V-10 dually. Is that even safe?

No trans temp gauge. Both the car and the trailer are pretty light, so I'm wondering if I should really worry about it unloaded? Once I pick the car up I'll probably take it out of o/d for sure though.

If it isn't hunting gears with the unloaded trailer - your call, but pay attention to how it shifts. The trailer is a double axle one, right? Probably 1500-1800 lbs by itself, not a super huge amount, but that sure ain't nothing.

Light car? Your call, but I've never seen a "light" car.

On my truck, as soon as the a trailer is hitched up, O/D goes off. YMMV.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I hauled about 8,000# with my buddies 94 Cummins, auto, 3:55 gear 2wd 1ton. I pulled half way up a 7% grade, or 4 miles in overdrive with no issues. I shifted into direct because of turbo temps. The trans temps stayed pretty much the same. Yes he had gauges.
As long as your trans fluid is clean & you service your trans regular & have a cooler you should be fine using OD. If the trans starts searching pull it into direct.

My V10 is a 5 Speed Manual.