brake issues, proportioning valve alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
I've got a 92 D250 with a 5.9 cummins someone brought to me to fix the brakes. It was sitting for a few years before I got it. The fronts lock up and the backs don't work at all until they lock up. No gradual engagement. I replaced the front calipers and hoses awhile back. I'm leaning towards an issue in the proportioning (metering) valve. I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE. Does anyone have an idea? There has to be an alternative. It's not like these parts never fail and when they do the vehicle is no longer mobile.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if it is bad you are most likely better off to buy an aftermarket one. most are under $100.

are you sure you got all the air out of the system?

OP
OP
R

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
only aftermarket one I've found is a racing one that has inlets 90 degrees apart so i'd have to greatly modify the brake lines to make it work. I'm pretty sure there's no air in the system. The fronts seize up after driving a few miles.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i wouldn't call them racing but i have come up with 3 that i think would work but they are adjustable
Brake Proportioning Valves - Three Outlet Quantity - 3/8-24 in. Outlet Size - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

there is also these 2 that i think should also work but they are not clear what fittings they need but i think it requires 3/16" tubing which is what these things run.
Parts and Accessories - 3/16 in. Inlet Size - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing.

did you make sure to bleed the brakes in the correct order? usually most of the time i gravity bleed the brake and by the time i finish hooking up the last line fluid is running out and require almost no pumping or bleeding at all.