1985 Ram Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBEAST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new on the forum so any help would be appreciated. I have an 1985 Ram with a 318 that is a project truck for my Dad and I. The problems started when key switch shorted out and fried most everything. Have changed starter relay, ECM, ballast resistor, and distributor. We have battery voltage on the positive side of the coil and a weak spark from the coil, but no fire to the plugs. We are stumped, electrical problems are our weakness. What do you think we need to do now?

Thanks!

OP
OP
T

TheBEAST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information. We already did that with no luck.

CoreyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 2bbl
Maybe replace the coil?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try putting a fresh battery in it. I know in my 79' it wouldnt start worth a crap for a while, and I knew it'd get a spark at the coil. I threw in a new battery and it started up right away.

I also did a GM HEI conversion, and it works like a charm now, no ballast resistor or finicky MOPAR box to screw with things. I have a link if you would like it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would not recommend using gm parts to do HEI. it causes all sorts of headache. i personally find stock dodge ignition systems work just fine.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All it uses is the HEI module. And good aftermarket performance ones are readily available. You just need to do a bit of wiring.

The mopar setup is fine, but theres way too many wires running all over the place for my likings.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is also still a part that commonly fails on gm vehicles.

the mopar system does not use any more wires than a gm setup unless you have a 5pin igntion setup which is not as common as a 4 pin ignition system.