Random stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wesley Spruce 76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I have a 92 D-150 with a 318. It runs great but stalls every once in a while. What could it be?

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum! Bump for others to chime in. Not familiar with the 1st gens. But, you can start with the basics. Plugs, wires, etc...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Any codes present ? CEL on ?

When was the last time you had the plugs changed , EGR replaced ect ?
Need a little more details . Even tho there might not be a CEL a code can still be stored .
If you have a code reader scan it . If not any auto parts place can scan for free .. then we can pinpoint what the issue is .

Welcome to RF

5.7HemiSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just because of the Year your truck is: fuel filter?

Might be helpful to add mileage and any services you can personally confirm for the techies to help you out.

EDIT: From THIS link 1990-1993 Dodge Ram Pickup: Full Review - Consumer Guide Automotive

"Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Air conditioner: The A/C evaporator freezes up because the compressor does not cycle off causing a lack of cooling. (1991-93)

Engine misfire: Intermittent power loss, delayed start, no-start, and stalling when starting from a stop may be due to inadequate fuel pressure requiring a pump module with larger filter. (1991-93)

Engine misfire: A faulty idle air control motor causes erratic idle, stalling after hot soak or during low speed deceleration. (1992-93)

Engine noise: A lifter noise on 3.9-liter engines, is corrected by replacing the timing chain and sprockets with a double-roller chain. (1992-93)

Fuel gauge: The fuel gauge reads lower than actual fuel level. The in-tank module must be replaced. (1991-93)

Transmission leak: Transmission fluid leaks from the O-ring on the speed sensor. (1993)"

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wesley Spruce 76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I put new plugs wires and distributer on it. I have yet to run the computer scan I'll have to do that. It only stalls when I'm driving slow and when I brake hard.

jhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
check all vacuum lines and fittings

5.7HemiSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put new plugs wires and distributer on it. I have yet to run the computer scan I'll have to do that. It only stalls when I'm driving slow and when I brake hard.

Sounds like.... from above.

Engine misfire: A faulty idle air control motor causes erratic idle, stalling after hot soak or during low speed deceleration. (1992-93)