6.4 hemi air/whistle noise under light throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2016 ram 2500

I guess still a new truck. But everything else I like about the truck. Also if you guys plan on tuning it not only do you need the tuner you also need to get a new cpu.

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good news! I finally found a way to stop the noise in my truck and it was completely by accident.

I was driving this morning at 60mph, and generally being annoyed by this stupid air/whistle noise just like every other day. I went to adjust the radio and accidentally bumped the column shifter up with my hand. I noticed at that moment the noise briefly stopped... so i grabbed my column shifter and began wiggling it around and sure enough the noise would stop and go perfectly with the movement of the shifter. I noticed that if I applied slight upward pressure (as if shifting into neutral) that the noise would stop completely!

So I played around with it for the rest of the day and sure enough, every time I came out of park and into drive I would take off down the highway and the noise would be there, and then I just reach up and slightly move the shifter UP (maybe 1/4 inch) and the noise is GONE. luckily my shifter will stay in correct position to keep the noise off, but I have to manually push it up just a little bit for it to stop every single time. Just to be clear, I am NOT shifting at all into neutral, just a pink finger's worth of pressure to push the lever up against the stop, and thats it.

Now I just have to climb under there and see if I can find out what exactly is causing it, or at least give the dealer a starting point.

I cant tell you how happy I am that I can "fix" that noise, it was driving me insane. I hope this helps other people.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
ill try it in the morning ...... but im not to fond of pushing on my shifter while driving. i will post if it fixes the whistle in my truck when i get to my desk at work.

thanks for the tip

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Good news! I finally found a way to stop the noise in my truck and it was completely by accident.

I was driving this morning at 60mph, and generally being annoyed by this stupid air/whistle noise just like every other day. I went to adjust the radio and accidentally bumped the column shifter up with my hand. I noticed at that moment the noise briefly stopped... so i grabbed my column shifter and began wiggling it around and sure enough the noise would stop and go perfectly with the movement of the shifter. I noticed that if I applied slight upward pressure (as if shifting into neutral) that the noise would stop completely!

So I played around with it for the rest of the day and sure enough, every time I came out of park and into drive I would take off down the highway and the noise would be there, and then I just reach up and slightly move the shifter UP (maybe 1/4 inch) and the noise is GONE. luckily my shifter will stay in correct position to keep the noise off, but I have to manually push it up just a little bit for it to stop every single time. Just to be clear, I am NOT shifting at all into neutral, just a pink finger's worth of pressure to push the lever up against the stop, and thats it.

Now I just have to climb under there and see if I can find out what exactly is causing it, or at least give the dealer a starting point.

I cant tell you how happy I am that I can "fix" that noise, it was driving me insane. I hope this helps other people.

im sure its been asked but will it go away when 4x4 is engaged? just a thought

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im not sure about the 4wd question. Mostly because i have never tried it but I need to be going almost 60 to really hear the noise, so I wouldnt want to be in 4wd at that speed anyway.

Also, to the poster above about not wanting to move the shifter while driving.... i hear ya, I agree... but dont put to much pressure on it. there is a very small amount of play in any given gear (even in park)... just barely push it UP with a small amount of pressure, just enough to move the end of the shifter like 1/4 inch or less. I'm not even coming close to pushing it into the next gear. Just FYI.

Im just glad i at least have a starting point and can eliminate the air intake and exhaust. Its got to be something tranny related.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Im not sure about the 4wd question. Mostly because i have never tried it but I need to be going almost 60 to really hear the noise, so I wouldnt want to be in 4wd at that speed anyway.

Also, to the poster above about not wanting to move the shifter while driving.... i hear ya, I agree... but dont put to much pressure on it. there is a very small amount of play in any given gear (even in park)... just barely push it UP with a small amount of pressure, just enough to move the end of the shifter like 1/4 inch or less. I'm not even coming close to pushing it into the next gear. Just FYI.

Im just glad i at least have a starting point and can eliminate the air intake and exhaust. Its got to be something tranny related.

My truck does it as soon as I apply the slightest amount of gas. I cN hear it best at slow speeds with light to moderate throttle. At 60, now that i think about it, i think it is hard to hear but it is defanitly there.

For som reason i still think it is air intake or exhaust related....at least on my truck.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
funny thing. maybe it is like this every morning and i didn't realize it, maybe this morning was different for some reason, but I couldn't get it to make the noise at all. I was thinking maybe it has to get to operating temps, but nope. nothing. I was als thinking that it was only 57 Fahrenheit and very humid (94%) this morning as we have a warm front coming through today. was wondering if the outside temps and/or humidity levels could be affecting the noise.

ill try your trick next time i hear it. and pay attention to the trucks temps and outside temps.

I did play with the shiftier slightly while driving to see i i could get it to happen. no go

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
no noise on the way home today either. :crazy: now that i want to find it it is gone. thats odd.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you guys had your trucks into the dealer? Were they able to find the cause? I have the same issue on my truck. I found I could almost eliminate the noise by adjusting my shift linkage, but am trying to figure out the root cause. Do your trucks have 3:73 or 4:10 gears? 2500 or 3500? 5.7 or 6.4?
I am a Dealership tech and been dealing with STAR, trying to narrow down the trucks that make this noise. Thanks Roy
(I am talking about specifically about Zonacats description of his problem in post #1 and post #24)

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Have you guys had your trucks into the dealer? Were they able to find the cause? I have the same issue on my truck. I found I could almost eliminate the noise by adjusting my shift linkage, but am trying to figure out the root cause. Do your trucks have 3:73 or 4:10 gears? 2500 or 3500?
I am a Dealership tech and been dealing with STAR, trying to narrow down the trucks that make this noise. Thanks Roy
(I am talking about specifically about Zonacats description of his problem in post #1 and post #24)

My noise is gone. Has been all summer. I THINK it disappeared with warmer weather as i noticed it going away in the warmer days last winter/spring. Mine never went away when palying with the shifter lever on the column when driving as stated before. Maybe it will come back this fall on the colder mornings. I think it will. Ill post when we start getting cold mornings again. I still think it is air related in my truck. IE: intake or exhaust. Denser colder air cold do it for some reason on mine.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

My noise is gone. Has been all summer. I THINK it disappeared with warmer weather as i noticed it going away in the warmer days last winter/spring. Mine never went away when palying with the shifter lever on the column when driving as stated before. Maybe it will come back this fall on the colder mornings. I think it will. Ill post when we start getting cold mornings again. I still think it is air related in my truck. IE: intake or exhaust. Denser colder air cold do it for some reason on mine.
Thanks for the response, I think you may have a different issue then me and zonacats.
Or it is presenting different with 3:73 gears. I have 4:10s. I am guessing zonacats has 4:10s also. As my truck runs 1500 rpm at 55mph in 6th gear also.

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mines a 2016 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gears and 4x4 (5500 miles). Havent taken it in yet, but noise is still there and i can still get it to disappear every time without fail by pushing up on the shift linkage. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi running ur 4 wheel drive engaged at high speeds won't hurt it. - Just going off of my experience.

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
Have that same Noise!! Really getting sick of it.
2500HD
Had it in to the dealership and master tech couldn't do anything but
note on the paper work that he heard the noise and thinks it coming form
the exhaust.
I am a tech and i tried to tell him that i think it has to do with the shift linkage..
Will try that trick today on my way home with the shifter lever. IF it works I am
going back to the dealer to *****!!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Have that same Noise!! Really getting sick of it.
2500HD
Had it in to the dealership and master tech couldn't do anything but
note on the paper work that he heard the noise and thinks it coming form
the exhaust.
I am a tech and i tried to tell him that i think it has to do with the shift linkage..
Will try that trick today on my way home with the shifter lever. IF it works I am
going back to the dealer to *****!!

what evidence do you have that makes you think it is your shift linkage? just wondering as there are a few different opinions on were/what this is coming from.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think me and Zonacat have the same issue, not sure if everyone is taliking about the same noise. The noise we are talking about is easily recreated, 55 MPH 6th gear, light load or what I call float, whistle noise from left front wheel area, noise almost completely goes away if you lightly lift the shift lever.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think me and Zonacat have the same issue, not sure if everyone is taliking about the same noise. The noise we are talking about is easily recreated, 55 MPH 6th gear, light load or what I call float, whistle noise from left front wheel area, noise almost completely goes away if you lightly lift the shift lever.

Im going to have to pay attention tonight on my way home. i thought mine was gone but my windows have been down every time i get in it (dont use a/c) so it would be hard to hear i think.

ill try to make the noise happen again.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mines a 2016 2500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gears and 4x4 (5500 miles). Havent taken it in yet, but noise is still there and i can still get it to disappear every time without fail by pushing up on the shift linkage. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

There goes my 3500 4:10 gears only theory. LOL
At this point I think it is a normal noise that is being transmitted up through the shift cable into the column. What I cant figure is why don't all of them do it. By normal I mean the origin of the noise is normal, for some reason it is being abnormally transmitted into the cab on some trucks, for some reason.
I will continue to try and get to the bottom of it.
I can tell you from 25+ years of experience as a dodge tech. when you get a new vehicle that has a problem and its more than 1 vehicle, chances of fixing it by replacing parts is slim. It usually takes corporate to figure it out, we cannot fix design flaws in the field.
Don't be to hard on your dealers or especially the techs. The source of so much frustration from the customers perspective comes from the way the system is set up.
Techs don't really get paid to fix cars, they get paid to replace parts.
A good conscientious tech could spend hours trying to get to the bottom of problem, then gets his paycheck at the end of the week. Well how long do you think he can afford to work for free.
The whole warranty system is 30+ years outdated. Until it changes, Things will continue to get worse. More hacks replacing parts. With good techs few and far between.