6.4 hemi air/whistle noise under light throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpsfj60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 HD
Engine
what evidence do you have that makes you think it is your shift linkage? just wondering as there are a few different opinions on were/what this is coming from.

Sorry, should have said something to do with the transmission. The
noise only happens when the truck has been sitting and then I start it
and put in into Drive or Reverse. I only hear the noise when its in gear.
When I read push up on the shifter handle and noise goes away I thought
transmission and now shifter linkage.

I have to roll down my window to hear the noise and I never have heard it inside
the cab of my truck. Again truck has to have been sitting also for this noise
to happen.
Master tech at my ****** dealership was shocked to hear this noise when
I showed him what was driving me crazy. He noted it on my paper work and
said he would look into it.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I thought i should give an update on my Ram whistle at 55 mph concern. Star suggested I should replace the trans valve body. I haven't done this yet as I think is a waste of time and won't fix the problem.
I have been driving other Rams in the mean time and observing. I had a 2016 3500 in the other day for an unrelated issue and road tested it at 55 mph. It made no noise.
I then rested my hand on the shiffter. (putting downward pressure) and observer the same noise as my truck, although slightly less noisy.
I think this is a noise that is nothing to worry about though very annoying. I hesitate to tell you guys how I mitigated the noise on my truck as I don't want anybody to deviate from the published service procedures and run them selves or somebody else over.
I had my son put the truck in drive, (engine off) I crawled under the truck, popped the shift cable off the trans bell crank, released the shift cable lock (white piece about 3 inches from the trans lever), (pry it out with a screw driver), with my son holding down pressure on shift lever, align the cable with the bell crank push the lock in, reinstall the cable.
I hope that makes sense

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the same noise, Still have it after new Headers and Y pipe.

Unfortunately im out of warrenty so I hope someone here finds out what it is....lol...

Thought it was the Trans but the noise isn't constant with the shifting.

Reactions: U&A

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just rolled over 26K miles on my RAM and had this whistling noise on the way into work this morning. Outside temp was about 19F-25F on the commute and happened twice at freeway speeds for maybe a minute or two.

Hopefully this is a one off thing. I do not do well with nit-noid things like this that cannot be readily solved.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is this same stretch of highway that I got this whistle on every day. I've noticed since I replaced the stock tires that I no longer hear it. It is odd.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
There is this same stretch of highway that I got this whistle on every day. I've noticed since I replaced the stock tires that I no longer hear it. It is odd.

One more reason to get rid of those whistling Transforce tires. J/k. Or were they whistling while they worked?

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pizza cutters slicing through the air!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Hmm. I've had tires make some weird noises before, so I suppose anythings possible.
Are your new tires really aggressive? Is it possible they are noisy and just covering up the original whine noise?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Drove home from work today and no whistling. Outside temp was 42 F. So maybe a cold temp related thing? I really have no clue at this point. I replaced my stock Transforce tires for FALKEN AT3's about 1500 miles ago but do not think that is the cause here either.

Temps are expected to be the same tomorrow morning and will monitor to see if it returns. Bad thing is when you get a bug in your head for some noise problem, you get hyper sensitive over every little noise now.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
As expected mind has been doing it on and off all winter. I am assuming when it warms up again it will go away like it did for me last year.

In the warmer weather every once in a while I would hear it but it's very seldom. Maybe once a month at the most

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I got the same noise, Still have it after new Headers and Y pipe.

Unfortunately im out of warrenty so I hope someone here finds out what it is....lol...

Thought it was the Trans but the noise isn't constant with the shifting.

Somebody should drive around with their air filter out and see if the whistle goes away :roflsquared:

Any volunteers

BIGWHITE16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hello,

I just bought a new 2016 2500 4x4 with the 6.4. I have about 750 miles on it, and ever since new i have been hearing this really annoying whistle/air noise coming from the engine bay (i think). The best way i can describe the noise is a low pitched whistle, almost similar to turbo spool, or sometimes the sound you get from an aftermarket intake. In my opinion it is loud. loud enough to hear it over the radio on volume 10, and definitely noticeable. Here is some information:

1) it seems to happen at ANY speed above 50 mph, but it is not wind noise. I know this because at any speed above 50 I can hear it but if i just barely lift the throttle (while going down a hill or something) the noise stops. Also, if I click up to 5th gear manually, the noise stops immediately and cannot be heard until i put it back in 6th and the RPM are around 1500.

2) I occasionally hear a variance of the noise (much quieter) when accelerating through the gears lightly, but not ever time and its harder to reproduce vs. going 65mph when i can make it do it on command every single time.

3) The noise seems to be accompanied by a loud tick, or audible switch noise. For example, when i hear it upon acceleration, I hear the noise, then hear a click when the truck shifts, and the noise instantly stops after the click, and then resumes again. But this seems more random than the highway speeds, but im sure its the same noise.

4) happens cold/hot. It does it right away first thing in the morning before the truck has warmed up. And it does it after driving 50+ miles, and all day long.

5) Ive tried every combination of fuel (87, 89, 91) no change.

6) Ive tired vent/AC/Heather on, off, low, high, and every combination in between. No change.

I really am starting to get annoyed and its the only thing I can hear now when I drive to work. I took it to the dealer and of course they said they couldn't find anything. I even took the guy for a drive and made sure he heard it. He said its probably nothing to worry about and bring it in if it gets louder or something else happens.... but I cant believe this noise is normal.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

It's the 'ECO' kicking in. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I already found the source of my noise. Its transmission related. I can ever so slightly push up on the shift lever and it goes away. I posted about it a few pages back.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a whistling noise....however, mine goes away if I turn the blower on for the HVAC....turn it off and it whistles....what the hell???

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I also have a whistling noise....however, mine goes away if I turn the blower on for the HVAC....turn it off and it whistles....what the hell???

Very interesting I honestly don't think most of ours is related to that but I'm going to have to try it.

On a sidenote if I eat beans sometimes I hear a whistle noise followed by the strange smell I cannot figure out

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hm now I'm going to have to see if mine does it. When I first read it I immediately thought active runner intake but if the 5.7 guys are hearing it than it really can't be that.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have this noise but do have a whine @idle that increases when accelerating then gets lost in the regular engine noise. Sounding like a bad ground

2017 2500 MC 6.4L Hemi

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't have this noise but do have a whine @idle that increases when accelerating then gets lost in the regular engine noise. Sounding like a bad ground

2017 2500 MC 6.4L Hemi

I sorry but i dont understand the correlation between a whine noise and a "bad ground" .

Honestly just asking as i dont understand.

Thanks

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Any new info on this stupid issue . I have a 2014 2500 4x4 with same issue. It’s def not a grounding noise. Leaning towards exhaust, air or vacuum leak. Didn’t notice the noise till I had front hub replaced to get rid of the growl :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any new info on this stupid issue . I have a 2014 2500 4x4 with same issue. It’s def not a grounding noise. Leaning towards exhaust, air or vacuum leak. Didn’t notice the noise till I had front hub replaced to get rid of the growl :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

OP here. Mine is for sure related to the column shifter/transmission. I can make it stop by just slightly pushing up on the shifter. I haven't figured out a fix.... im just used to every time i get in to drive i just reach up and push on it lightly and it goes away. It stays away until shift back into park. I posted about it a few pages back, but i Hope that helps.

Last edited: