750 miles..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so, 750 miles on my new 6.4 Hemi 2500..
I'm starting to Gel with it a bit better.
Lights..All of them. I dont know why, but my 2013 f150 super crew had dismal lights at best.. In fact I would venture to say that my daughters old battery operated dora the explorer lanterns would be brighter than the reverse lights.
Not a big deal except I live down a 400' driveway in the middle of the woods.

By Contrast, the big Dodge has way better lighting all around.. but the back up lights are very noticeably brighter.

Engine.. I had forgotten how good a well built V8 sounds.. even in stock configuration.. It has a nice roar to it when accelerating,not overly loud, but you know something is lurking under the hood that means business..
By Contrast, I always hated the sound of my Ecoboost.. LIked the performance, but in terms of sound, It always sounded like Bunny Farts.

Center seat console..Like the fact it is not a fabric cover.. This got slightly dingy in my ford over 4 years of ownership.. the Dodge I can simply wipe off.. Nice feature.

Looks: With a Sparkly Brilliant Black finish, 4 doors, 8 foot bed and stainless running boards, it's a dang sexy truck to look at. EXCEPT the rims

dislikes:

I HATE the chrome rims.. I know, personal preference and all, but to me they look cheap, like a set of plastic ones you bought at Wal MArt to put on your 10 yr old Camry..

Mildly dislike the sound system, but thats probably on me and my " I dont need this in a truck" Mentality.. Fords was WAY better. Im guessing If I would have went higher up on model or options list that would have been resolved so I'm not sure thats fair.

Mildly dislike the ride, It's not bad, but it seems a tad stiff even for a 3/4 ton truck, BUT its new and I expect everything to settle in a tad better after some miles are on it, at least marginally better.

So Far, so good!

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
Everything does get better with this truck over time. I think it was around 4,000 miles the engine woke up and it was almost a completely different vehicle. You seem to like the lights a lot, how about the headlights? They've always seemed a little dim to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the lights were a sore point with me previously. With this truck, the low beams are marginally better, but the high beams are noticeably brighter to me.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you have the bi-function projector halogen headlights? If so, get a HID kit from Retroshop. I did that on my 2500/6.4L and the change was amazing. It's plug and play except getting to the headlights themselves, which entails removing the grill.

Do you have the Alpine system in your truck? If so, I agree with you. It could be a LOT better. The proprietary nature of that system makes it hard and expensive to modify.

My suspension was never soft but I did note it got a bit easier to ride in after some miles on it.

soper72 is right. The engine seems to come into it's own with some miles on it. Add a Diablosport and a custom tune to the truck and it REALLY wakes up.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wait... you only have 750mi on a 2014?

Also not surprising you like the ride of a half ton over a 3/4 ton, even with the coil suspension.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait... you only have 750mi on a 2014?

Also not surprising you like the ride of a half ton over a 3/4 ton, even with the coil suspension.

Good Catch, I changed the year from 2014 to 2016.. 2014 was the truck I was looking at, I had forgotten I had that on there!

Yea I expect the ride to soften a teeny bit with miles, but I have ridden in other 3/4 ton trucks and it seems stiff by comparison. But hey, I have over 3,000 LBS of payload, so its to be expected.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the bi-function projector halogen headlights? If so, get a HID kit from Retroshop. I did that on my 2500/6.4L and the change was amazing. It's plug and play except getting to the headlights themselves, which entails removing the grill.

Do you have the Alpine system in your truck? If so, I agree with you. It could be a LOT better. The proprietary nature of that system makes it hard and expensive to modify.

My suspension was never soft but I did note it got a bit easier to ride in after some miles on it.

soper72 is right. The engine seems to come into it's own with some miles on it. Add a Diablosport and a custom tune to the truck and it REALLY wakes up.

Im unsure on the headlights, how do I tell? Stereo, I am also unsure, it does not say Alpine on it anywhere..I doubt it is..

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like you have the base system (pun intended). Good news is they are just 4ohm 3.5" speakers in the dash. So you have a lot of options there and very easy to replace. You also have a few options for subs under the rear seat if desired (Kicker, JL Audio, etc). Some are plug & play, some aren't. I've used the JL Stealthbox, sounds awesome.

Congrats on the truck.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
sdislikes:

I HATE the chrome rims.. I know, personal preference and all, but to me they look cheap, like a set of plastic ones you bought at Wal MArt to put on your 10 yr old Camry..

Mildly dislike the sound system, but thats probably on me and my " I dont need this in a truck" Mentality.. Fords was WAY better. Im guessing If I would have went higher up on model or options list that would have been resolved so I'm not sure thats fair.

Mildly dislike the ride, It's not bad, but it seems a tad stiff even for a 3/4 ton truck, BUT its new and I expect everything to settle in a tad better after some miles are on it, at least marginally better.

I am with you on the rims. I prefer the polished aluminum myself. With guys always changing out to bigger & wider rims, there is a pretty good selection of next to new rims on e-bay & craiglist. You won't get a great deal for yours when you sell them but that is an option.
The sound system is disappointing & I have the Alpine System. It was a $300 option. It is not horrible sounding but I would expect more from Alpine. The factory system in our 14' Durango is just as good & the 2011 Jeep we used to have system was much better. It was Boston from the factory.
Ride is by far the best 3/4 ton I have ever driven. It will calm down a little bit over the next year but dropping the psi to 55-60lbs. makes a huge difference. I hauled a 1,700lb. skid in the back of mine with the tires at 55 & they didn't bulge at all. The only issue with that is, the pressure settings cannot be changed in the computer anymore, so you have to hit a button every time to get the warning off of your dash. It's worth it to me cause it makes a very noticeable difference.
Any info you are interested in about your truck this site is a great place to start.
Congrats on the new truck! :favorites13:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Good Catch, I changed the year from 2014 to 2016.. 2014 was the truck I was looking at, I had forgotten I had that on there!

Yea I expect the ride to soften a teeny bit with miles, but I have ridden in other 3/4 ton trucks and it seems stiff by comparison. But hey, I have over 3,000 LBS of payload, so its to be expected.

Figured you didn't update something, or you don't drive much. Lol

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

If you are running the door sticker 60 PSI / 80 PSI and empty it will ride like a brick/covered wagon. I still don't get why FCA specs the tire PSI on the 2500 at 60/80. Those pressures with the factory 18" tires exceed the GVWR by a significant amount.

I run a more reasonable 52 front / 44 rear and just deal with the TPMS light being on for the rear tires... Makes a huge difference in ride quality.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just wrapped up a 766.8 mile trip and used 48.69 gallons of 87 octane with 10% ethanol. I did about 300 miles of 68-72 mph and the rest was 55-60 with a mix of about 50/50 hills and flat roads. There were several stop signs in many small towns that I'm sure tanked my actual MPG's. The EVIC said 17.2 MPG's and hand calculated was 15.75 MPG's.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So when Can I get my first tow in

I have a camping trip coming up 20th of April.. truck will probably have about 1300-1500 miles on it at that point.. all good to tow my 6.5K pound trailer for 3 hours? Im going to have the first oil changed in the next week or two.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just wrapped up a 766.8 mile trip and used 48.69 gallons of 87 octane with 10% ethanol. I did about 300 miles of 68-72 mph and the rest was 55-60 with a mix of about 50/50 hills and flat roads. There were several stop signs in many small towns that I'm sure tanked my actual MPG's. The EVIC said 17.2 MPG's and hand calculated was 15.75 MPG's.

Great report, those are good numbers and consistent to what I've researched.