Mileage on 2014 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Three weeks ago I bought my 11th new vehicle from the same dealership in the last year and a half. I have so many problems with the back-up camera, the radio, etc. Chrysler hates to hear my name when they pick up their phones!

Now I have what I call a huge problem ~ mileage. Gen. Mgr. of dealership told me that he drove a 2014 Diesel 3500 4x4 295 miles, one way and then back again. Said he got 23-25 mpg. This is not an "average", said it was actual.

I buy the same truck. It does show average mpg and then "actual" mpg. On the display screen it does show you what kind of mileage you are getting. First time I drove it out of town, it did show I was getting 24 mpg. Filled the tank up and the average and actual mpg were about 1-2 miles different - I got 16.2 on the first fill, 15.7 on the second tank and today, after driving 252 miles, I filled the tank and got 14.3. I did not go by anything on the truck to figure this mileage out. Did it the old way - miles driven divided by number of gallons = mpg. During all the fill ups I ensured that the guy who was filling the tank stopped filling when he heard the first "click." I never let them top off the tank.

Called the service manage and told them about this last fill up. I have about 900 miles on the truck. The "actual mpg" display, while driving it out of town today was showing 14mpg when I was running at 60 mph on cruise. Then is would shoot up to 25, then to 36, drop back to 7, up to 38 - get my point! Coming up a mountain pass, it showed actual mpg of 7. I don't expect to get 23 - 24 mpg while climbing any hills or mountain passes. The ONLY time it did show 22 mpg was driving on a straight stretch.

I don't see how Chrysler can tell a customer that he will get exactly what THEY set the damn mpg for. This has to be a joke and I was dumb enough to fall for it.

So my question is this. If anybody has a new 2014 3500, what is your actual mpg? I know this will vary with wind speed, direction of wind, speed, cruise control, driving fast then driving slow, etc. The service mgr said I didn't have enough miles on the truck to get an actual mpg figure. BULL! If it shows you are getting 23-24 then that is exactly what one would expect IF Chrysler has actually done the impossible.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Three weeks ago I bought my 11th new vehicle from the same dealership in the last year and a half. I have so many problems with the back-up camera, the radio, etc. Chrysler hates to hear my name when they pick up their phones!

Now I have what I call a huge problem ~ mileage. Gen. Mgr. of dealership told me that he drove a 2014 Diesel 3500 4x4 295 miles, one way and then back again. Said he got 23-25 mpg. This is not an "average", said it was actual.

I buy the same truck. It does show average mpg and then "actual" mpg. On the display screen it does show you what kind of mileage you are getting. First time I drove it out of town, it did show I was getting 24 mpg. Filled the tank up and the average and actual mpg were about 1-2 miles different - I got 16.2 on the first fill, 15.7 on the second tank and today, after driving 252 miles, I filled the tank and got 14.3. I did not go by anything on the truck to figure this mileage out. Did it the old way - miles driven divided by number of gallons = mpg. During all the fill ups I ensured that the guy who was filling the tank stopped filling when he heard the first "click." I never let them top off the tank.

Called the service manage and told them about this last fill up. I have about 900 miles on the truck. The "actual mpg" display, while driving it out of town today was showing 14mpg when I was running at 60 mph on cruise. Then is would shoot up to 25, then to 36, drop back to 7, up to 38 - get my point! Coming up a mountain pass, it showed actual mpg of 7. I don't expect to get 23 - 24 mpg while climbing any hills or mountain passes. The ONLY time it did show 22 mpg was driving on a straight stretch.

I don't see how Chrysler can tell a customer that he will get exactly what THEY set the damn mpg for. This has to be a joke and I was dumb enough to fall for it.

So my question is this. If anybody has a new 2014 3500, what is your actual mpg? I know this will vary with wind speed, direction of wind, speed, cruise control, driving fast then driving slow, etc. The service mgr said I didn't have enough miles on the truck to get an actual mpg figure. BULL! If it shows you are getting 23-24 then that is exactly what one would expect IF Chrysler has actually done the impossible.

Diesels are notorious for taking a long time to break in. Under 1000 miles it you are nowhere near what the mileage will be once it fully breaks in which won't be for thousands of miles.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Diesels are notorious for taking a long time to break in. Under 1000 miles it you are nowhere near what the mileage will be once it fully breaks in which won't be for thousands of miles.

Tks for the info. I've owned four Diesel trucks and what you say is true. However, the point I was trying to make is why Dodge came out with a dash display that from the day you buy the truck, it is suppose to give you an accurate and average mileage.

In the owners manual, on the CD that came with the truck and then getting all the manuals I could from Chrysler, there is nothing I could find that states your mileage will not be accurate until the truck engine is broken in.

Also, there shouldn't be a mile or two difference between the actual and average mileage. A wider spread should occure there. My new Rubicon jeep shows only the average mileage which is around the 15 - 16 range while driving out of town. But when I fill it up and take the mileage, divide it by gallons, I usually end up with around 11mpg.

The Gen. Mgr of the dealership swears he got 23-24 actual miles on a trip with the same truck and close to the same mileage as mine ~900 miles+

I believe the age of electronics have really taken over when you have a computer that monitors a computer that always checks other computers and gives you what is suppose to be actual mileage.

The truck goes into the shop tomorrow. Even with low mileage on it, I think one of the injectors may be plugged or close to it??? No codes have been thrown, no water in the filter, filters check out. It just doesn't seem to have the powere that should be there due to engine size and torque.

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By just taking a quick peak over in the Diesel area of this message board, it looks like the 2500 6.7's are lucky to get 18mpg. I would never trust a dealership for info on mpg. Hell the new ecodiesel in the 1500 w/8sp and about half the power only gets 23 combined and that's record breaking.

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1. Never trust someone that's simply trying to earn a living by taking your money. They'll say what you want to hear so you give them the check.

2. Never fully trust any digital readout for gas mileage. The only thing they're good for are hypermilers that are looking to squeak every last mpg out of their tank.

3. Your maths determining mpg are still estimates, although closer than a digital readout. If you want accuracy, drain the tank, fill with fuel only from a gas container (because pumps can lie too), and fill exact amounts each time. Record mileage each time you run out of fuel.

If you don't want the utmost in accuracy, be content with what your maths tell you, and happy that you have 1st world problems :D

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the real time mileage is always going to fluctuate a lot. On any add for any vehicle manufacturer there is always fine print. In short it states the mpg's and says individual results will vary. Also i bet to get those numbers they test in a controlled environment. The hemi's state 21 mpg's, but the only true way to get that is to be on flat land and not driving too fast

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
The "actual" mpg reading on mine fluctuates pretty significantly when I'm on the interstate and have the cruise control set. A minor incline, decline, getting into the draft of a semi and encountering a strong headwind or tailwind will all make it jump around. This is a measure of the fuel required to overcome the resistance and maintain speed at that instant. All of those things I mention will increase or decrease the resistance thereby making those numbers bounce around. Maybe I'm not understanding you but this is perfectly normal.

The average mpg is collective data from all of the driving that has been done since it was last reset. If this figure is way off from what you are getting running your own numbers then maybe there is an issue but I'm pretty sure mine is off by a couple mpg, I don't worry about it especially since my tires are larger than stock and even after reprogramming for them my speedo is still off. There is no way for the truck to calculate it properly when it's getting bad data to begin with.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Gen. Mgr of the dealership swears he got 23-24 actual miles on a trip with the same truck and close to the same mileage as mine ~900 miles+
The salesman who sold me my truck said the 8 speed in the 1500's gained people who had previously had 6 speeds around 2 miles per gallon.
My last fill up was 12.1 mpg's. They will flat out lie to you to get you to buy a vehicle. Best case scenario might get you that mileage but for a truck that big and heavy you need all the help you can get like dpf delete, flat land and thr cruise set at 55 mph.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I know there are some changes to the '13s and '14s but I can't imagine anyone getting 23mpg out of a 4th gen Cummins unless they live in Florida and never drive over 55mph and never let it idle...

My'12 is deleted, tuned and babied most of the time and my average for my daily commute is around 17mpg. I can get 20 on highway trips if I keep it under 70mph... I had to stop watching the MPGs on mine once we started getting winter diesel.

Good luck at the dealer... Post back with you results from your appt...

sent thru a cloud of smoke

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm driving a 2014 3500 laramie 4X4 Mega Cab, I haven't sat down and figured out the MPG yet as I'm kinda waiting for more of a breakin period to be over probably around 5000miles, but on the highway flat and straight my computers actual reading is around 24 mpg, any incline or head wind and that drops quickly down to the 17's. Once I have a few more miles on it I'll try the math and see if it's even close. Let me know if you find anything new as I very surious as well, I mean I know I didn't purchase this kind a truck for the MPG's but the better it is the happier I am.

Last edited:

parkersdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm watching this thread as my 2500 does the same thing

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD

Quick question I have had no problems with my B/U cam but the radio is a different beast, what problem are you having with the radio/truck?

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definatly have to wait for the break in period.... it took my hemi 1500-2000 miles to get consistent readings. Lots of things that contribute to the mpg... one of them could be caused by a heavy foot...lol.

P.s. you are very lucky with those numbers... my 2012 Hemi...mostly city driving.. the evic show 12mpg. Once in a while when I get on the highway, I can get around 16-20 mpg.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Lemon

Maybe the truck is just a lemon. 12th has to be the charm.

Along with the mileage problems, this truck has many more problems. Met with the dealer yesterday and had a long long talk.

My 12th vehicle was bought about two or three weeks ago. During the talk with the Gen. mgr. he didn't hesitate in saying: "Give me a day or two, you pick out the color of the new 2014 Laramie I am going to trade straight across for the one you now have and there will be no money difference and will have the same options I currently have." So this will make the 13th vehicle. That there is the way this entire situation should have been handled in the first place. The new car for the wife was swirled up, scratched from a buffer, etc. So many problems with these last two vehicles. There isn't enough room to explain the problems I've had with the 1st through the 11th trucks. Four of these were new 1500's.

I stick with this dealer because I can not beat the price of the gas/diesel trucks or the cars at any other dealership within 800 miles from where I live.

A guy can buy a lemon from any dealer, mine included. The thing one must do if there is a major problem is to stand your ground, don't cave in the the "there is no problem" answer. Additionally, there is no requirement that the dealers service department has to fix your vehicle. The paperwork clearly states that the manufacture of the vehicle is responsible for having all warranty work done on it. If any dealer so desires, he can simply tell you to never bring your vehicle back to his service department. I had that happen to me quite a few years ago and it was absolutely legal.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7

What you said is absolutely true. It took my best friend who is driving a 2011 2500 diesel about 19,000 miles when all of a sudden he noticed a huge increase in his mileage. This was running empty or pulling his travel trailer.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Mileage

I know there are some changes to the '13s and '14s but I can't imagine anyone getting 23mpg out of a 4th gen Cummins unless they live in Florida and never drive over 55mph and never let it idle...

My'12 is deleted, tuned and babied most of the time and my average for my daily commute is around 17mpg. I can get 20 on highway trips if I keep it under 70mph... I had to stop watching the MPGs on mine once we started getting winter diesel.

Good luck at the dealer... Post back with you results from your appt...

sent thru a cloud of smoke

The 2012 2500 diesel I traded in for this 2014 - in town driving gave me 6+ mpg. Highway driving produced about 11 mpg. Towing my travel trailer ~ I had to plan my trips where I knew I could get diesel when I needed it, which was mostly immediately. Mileage pulling was down to 5+ a gallon. Dealer said that was normal. When I first got that truck, my first tank of diesel produced 19.5 on the highway. From there it just went downhill.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm driving a 2014 3500 laramie 4X4 Mega Cab, I haven't sat down and figured out the MPG yet as I'm kinda waiting for more of a breakin period to be over probably around 5000miles, but on the highway flat and straight my computers actual reading is around 24 mpg, any incline or head wind and that drops quickly down to the 17's. Once I have a few more miles on it I'll try the math and see if it's even close. Let me know if you find anything new as I very surious as well, I mean I know I didn't purchase this kind a truck for the MPG's but the better it is the happier I am.

My point exactly. I "was" getting actual milege between 22-24 on a straight stretch. But that was based on the readings from the computer just as the average mileage is. So when my actual mileage started dropping, on the highway, that is when I started my claim with the dealer. My truck, the other day, spent the entire day at the service dept. When they called me, they informed me that "everything" - everything was reading as it should be and my mileage is what I could expect to get from now on. So yesterday was when the Gen. Mgr informed me he was going to trade, straight across, my truck for a brand new 2014, color of my choice with no money difference. Now I will wait and see what this new truck will produce.

OP
OP
S

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm watching this thread as my 2500 does the same thing

As I just posted, my 2012 2500 diesel originally gave me 19.5 with highway driving. service manager could find no reason why the mileage went from the 19.5 down to 6.7 in town and maybe 11 on the highway. So I said the heck with it and bought the new 2014.

'Ol trick I learned many years ago. When you get ready to take "any" vehicle in for a problem under the hood, make sure you have a really clean engine. Just wipe it down so there is no finger prints, smudges, etc on it. When you go to pick it up, open the hood and carefully look at the entire engine for areas the mechanic should have been working on or did check.

Many times I went in with a clean engine and picked the truck up with a clean engine. And No, mechanics are not noted for wiping down the mess they leave.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990