ProCal vs. Hypertech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've been delaying purchasing a device to correct my speedometer since installing 35s. I've been looking at the Hypertech but for $229 I was dragging my feet. Now I see the AEV ProCal does both speedometer correction and half of the procedure to fix the TPMS as well (still need to have the ECU / RFH module reset) for a price of $170.

I guess there's no good reason why not to go with the ProCal, right? Just making sure I'm not missing anything here. Anyone have any input or experience on this?

And if you're wondering, yes I desperately need to reprogram the TPMS. My dealer won't give me the PIN to do the job though (there's a local guy with an Autel I would go to). I'm thinking if I go the ProCal route the dealer will be more inclined to reset the RFH module for me since they technically won't be giving me the PIN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have the Procal. Id say just go that route. It works very well and is simple. Its not cheap but what is these days.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't understand why they won't give you the Pin. I went to the Parts desk and gave them my Vin. and showed them ID. Key code Pin And Ignition Code Pin.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's amazing how stupid some dealers are. We have 5-6 of them around St. Louis and I've not heard of 1 that didn't provide the PIN. I even got mine from a different dealer than I bought the truck. I heard a few complaints about the Hypertech. Be prepared to pay $100+ for the dealer to reset the RFH.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
6.4LMegaMan

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Your thoughts were the same as mine. The guy at the parts desk said they won't give out the PIN because in the event I would sell the truck, having the PIN would enable me to go program another fob and steal it.

I do see their point but at the same time I said I paid for this truck, I own it and by rights own the PIN. Anyways, the good news is I was able to go another route and ended up obtaining the PIN by other means. I'd rather not say in order to protect the party that helped me as they were adamant I take it to the grave for fear of losing their job.

I'm working with the closest pin on the map that has an Autel and hope to meet up with him next week to set the lower threshold. I also ordered the ProCal so I could set the tire size now and hopefully again if/when I go to 37s. So it's good news all around today! Thanks everyone for the peace of mind on the purchase.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The flaw with their reasoning is that you have to have a key to make a key with that PIN. You can't make one with only the PIN and even if you could, you'd have to be connected to the OBDII port to do so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
6.4LMegaMan

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just wanted to follow up with this. I met with WV_Ram from the Cummins forum yesterday afternoon and he set the new thresholds for my TPMS. Everything worked perfectly and now my warning lights are out.

If anyone in the western PA / WV area wants to get their TPMS updated I highly recommend VW_Ram. Plus, he was a heck of a nice guy.

When I got home last night my ProCal was on the front porch so I'll dive into that tonight.