Strange Idle Stumble when in Neutral, Foot on Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I noticed this when the truck was new. 6.4L gas w/66RFE. I noticed this happen only while sitting in line at a drive thru:

On past cars/truck I would shift out of drive and into neutral with foot on brake, while waiting in a long line, thinking it helps with heat/wear on the transmission. Never had a problem.

Shortly after shifting into Neutral with foot remaining on brake, the engine RPM would stumble and stutter, sometimes dropping as low as 300 RPM and bounce back, then repeat. Anyone else notice this on their 6.4L???

Since that's happened to me twice, I now just shift to park with no issues. Normal?

OP
OP
H

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Update.

I tried an experiment today and held the truck in Neutral with foot on the brake with engine cold:

-No difference in engine RPM.

Tried again with engine and transmission fully warmed up:

-No difference in engine RPM.

Shifted back and forth though drive, reverse and park to neutral, same result

I guess I'm going to chalk this up to the transmission still being in learning mode as it did what I described above during the first week of ownership.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's good to know. My tranny did some funny stuff when the truck was new too.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sometimes the drag on the engine from shifting can play with the vacuum levels. I've noticed it in my wife's mega occasionally. My little Chevy does the same thing but when braking hard. It will stumble right as you stop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990