Another possible Diesel Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Was looking before I bought my truck but then bought the one I have. With baby on the way I keep thinking maybe I should cut back. I drive 3 miles to work and have an extra rig so something cheap would be sweet. I really prefer the old diesels so I dont have to remove DPF crap but if the right deal comes I guess I will do what I have to.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
id love a 2nd gen cummins. can usually find them for around 7k around here.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oddly I am going to go look at it in a friends eco friendly Jetta Diesel.

I had a 2003 TDI Jetta. Badaass little car! Has some expensive upkeep items (Timing belt is around $2500 to properly replace but lasts for 100k miles.)

Thing hauls ass for a little 70 er 90 HP diesel (forgot what the rating was). It would hold 75 up a hill my '00 Ram stuggled with, Boost is an awesome thing.

Was a great little car, just turns out, I'm NOT a little car person. At ALL.

The CL truck looks pretty rough, which typically means it wasn't maintained the best either. I'd run away from it.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a 2003 TDI Jetta. Badaass little car! Has some expensive upkeep items (Timing belt is around $2500 to properly replace but lasts for 100k miles.)

Thing hauls ass for a little 70 er 90 HP diesel (forgot what the rating was). It would hold 75 up a hill my '00 Ram stuggled with, Boost is an awesome thing.

Was a great little car, just turns out, I'm NOT a little car person. At ALL.

The CL truck looks pretty rough, which typically means it wasn't maintained the best either. I'd run away from it.

It was probably a work truck like most diesels are though.

My buddy just bought his it was like 22K for a brand new one with 6 speed manual. I hate timing belts but I have a connection as my friend is mechanic and hooks me up had to do one on my Avenger that a sold about 2 years ago he charged me 250 labor for the works. Kit was like $100 plus water pump for $50.

I am not a car person either so I flipped it for down payment on my house. I figure a diesel truck that is efficient would be perfect combo.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Both those trucks look really good. I love the white :) Best think to do is go look at them and drive em. I'm not sure if you've done much research on CTD or not, but the front ends and the trannys are the 2 weeks links.

If you dont mind me asking, how much you looking to spend? The reason I ask is because I got my 05 with 140xxx miles on her for $17k...from a dealer.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The trannies were the biggest weak link in 03
The front ends aren't as bad as alot of people play them off to be. They come factory with bob greaseable parts so generally they are going to have a shorter life. Its pretty easy to see if the ball hours have been replaced with greaseable ones or not

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The trannies were the biggest weak link in 03
The front ends aren't as bad as alot of people play them off to be. They come factory with bob greaseable parts so generally they are going to have a shorter life. Its pretty easy to see if the ball hours have been replaced with greaseable ones or not

The funny thing is I have never done a transmission in any of my vehicles. I attribute it to warming up the vehicle at least a minute no matter what temp out and often 15- 20 minutes in 20 or below. I also change filters and fluid often. If there was one thing that I could change in any Ram even newer ones is better software for the transmission.

Drive by wire has made a big difference in longevity of transmissions and anything with a Hemi or drive by wire can take a beating compared to the old 2nd gen trannies that would get toasted by pedal to the metal launches and towing too.

I can tow near max rating and my trans never goes over 150 degrees in my '09 even with it 90 or above out. The old 4 speeds just melted under stress and towing.