8-Speed Noise Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gasser76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 8-spd
My 8-speed transmission (assuming its the transmission) makes a noise right before it up shifts...1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 only. Hard to describe the noise but I wouldn't call it alarming but definitely mechanical. Kind of a high pitched wine/screech but that makes it sound more annoying than it really is. If the noise is normal it wouldn't really bother me...I'm only asking because I've never heard a transmission make noise like this. It lasts a split second so not like a clunk. I can only hear it with the windows down but it is very clear...you don't have to strain to hear it.

I believe this only happens during light to moderate acceleration...under hard acceleration I don't think it happens but I'm too busy listening to and enjoying my first Hemi to say for sure!!

I've only got about 600 miles on the truck but no issues with the transmission so far. Shifts fine other than the noise. Does anyone else have this? Haven't had a chance to run by the dealer yet and ask about it.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I have the 8 spd also. Mine is quiet - no noise at all. 3500 miles on my truck now. I would say take it to the dealer and get it checked out.

cta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport CC 6'4" bed, air suspension
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 speed, 3.21
No noise from my 8spd either. I have almost 1500 kms. I would definitely take it to the dealer

frankmm2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have about 500 miles on mine and no noise. Take her in

OP
OP
Gasser76

Gasser76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 8-spd
Good to know that this isn't normal so I don't feel like I'm wasting time taking it to the dealer. Again...noise is not that bad...judging by the sound it makes, I'm really only slightly more concerned about this noise than I would be about an interior rattle. Who knows though...this might be the innocent little noise that means the transmission is getting ready to grenade itself!

I plan on getting it in this week while I have some time off around the 4th and go for a test drive with the service manager. The more I listen to it the more I wonder if it's not coming from somewhere else other than the transmission. Hard to locate it but it seems like it's coming from the back half of the truck. I just hope when he hears the noise a light bulb goes off and he knows exactly what the problem is!!

OP
OP
Gasser76

Gasser76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 8-spd
Took a ride today with a service tech and he said it was noise coming from my exhaust. Says it's a common problem with the Hemi's and that it would be difficult to find and fix...basically saying there was nothing they could do unless it got worse.

My BS detector was going off but given that the noise is minor and doesn't bother me and that my main concern was that it was not something driveline related I'm OK with that answer...and I never like the hassle of having to leave a vehicle at the dealer, arrange for the courtesy shuttle, etc.

Anyway...I believe him that the noise is exhaust related but curious if the rest of the answer is BS. Is it a common problem and is it hard to find and fix? Is the stock exhaust bolted together and not welded? Do I just need to check to see if everything is tight?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never heard a Hemi exhaust make that noise you're describing. Your service guy is full of ****. They don't wanna fix anything unless the CEL is on.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
My 8 speed makes a metallic "like a small spring rattling" under light acceleration, a second or two before the shift. Seems to happen only in the lower gears -- 1 through 4 or 5.

I'll likely talk about it when I bring it for the 1st free oil change.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 with the 5.7 and 6 speed. It makes the same noise. My dealership has no idea. They say the cant reproduce the sound. Which I think is weird as I can get it to do it every time I press on the gas. Let me know if you finally get yours fixed. I'd love to get rid of this noise. It's making me hate my new truck......

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2013 with the 5.7 and 6 speed. It makes the same noise. My dealership has no idea. They say the cant reproduce the sound. Which I think is weird as I can get it to do it every time I press on the gas. Let me know if you finally get yours fixed. I'd love to get rid of this noise. It's making me hate my new truck......
You need to take the tech out for a lil ride.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did...... They still acted like after I left they couldn't make the noise happen like I did.

However.......TODY WAS MY LUCKY DAY!

I went out and listened to my noise with the windows up and it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side.

And since it sounds like metal vibrating....under the truck I go. Here is what I found.

The only metal part I found that could be loose was a muffler clamp right where the two down pipes from the motor come together and clamp to the straight pipe going to the muffler. It's the only clamp like it on the exhaust. The other one by the muffler is different. Anyway, the clamp nuts were as tight as heck. I couldn't even budge them using a pipe over the end of the wrench. So I checked that idea off my list of one thing to check. But then I noticed it...... Right above that clamp, welded to the top of the muffler where that clamp is, is a flat clip that is bent kind of square and it goes over the clamp, evidently to hold the clamp in place during manufacturing before it actually gets put together and tightened down. Well it's only welded to the exhaust pipe on one side of the clamp. So the other side vibrates. Evidently around 3500 RPMs. Lol! But since its over the exhaust clamp it vibrates on the metal of the clamp. I went under the truck with a very large screwdriver and put it under that clip and pried it up until it was totally clear of the clamp. Now VOILA! No vibrating noise!

I'm so glad I could lose control. This noise has been haunting me since I got the truck. And four trips to the dealer with no fixes.

I feel like I need to go dealer and show them the culprit. So they can help anyone else who may have this issue. Cause clearly they'll never figure it out on their own.

Hope this helps someone. If I didn't explain well enough I can take a pic.

Later.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Das Boot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did...... They still acted like after I left they couldn't make the noise happen like I did.

I went out and listened to my noise with the windows up and it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side.

And since it sounds like metal vibrating....under the truck I go. Here is what I found.

The only metal part I found that could be loose was a muffler clamp right where the two down pipes from the motor come together and clamp to the straight pipe going to the muffler. It's the only clamp like it on the exhaust. The other one by the muffler is different. Anyway, the clamp nuts were as tight as heck. I couldn't even budge them using a pipe over the end of the wrench. So I checked that idea off my list of one thing to check. But then I noticed it...... Right above that clamp, welded to the top of the muffler where that clamp is, is a flat clip that is bent kind of square and it goes over the clamp, evidently to hold the clamp in place during manufacturing before it actually gets put together and tightened down. Well it's only welded to the exhaust pipe on one side of the clamp. So the other side vibrates. Evidently around 3500 RPMs. Lol! But since its over the exhaust clamp it vibrates on the metal of the clamp. I went under the truck with a very large screwdriver and put it under that clip and pried it up until it was totally clear of the clamp. Now VOILA! No vibrating noise!

I'm so glad I could lose control. This noise has been haunting me since I got the truck. And four trips to the dealer with no fixes.

I feel like I need to go dealer and show them the culprit. So they can help anyone else who may have this issue. Cause clearly they'll never figure it out on their own.

Later.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Nice job, I suppose that is one of the many benefits of being a member on this site. When the dealer cannot figure out what the "mysterious" rattling is, we probably can find the answer here. Again, great job and thanks for the update!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Later.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Awesome. I'm going to try this fix. Take a photo of the suspect part if you can.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's pouring the rain down here. When it dries out I'll crawl under and get a pic.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the pics.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 104

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pic number 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 80

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this helped your issue as well? Awesome! I'm glad I could help. I've searched for months for the culprit of the vibration. I was so excited when I found it. I was almost to the point of trading the truck off. I thought it was only days before my tranny was gonna grenade. Luckily I found the issue. And now I get to keep my 1500.

Clark (SupermanWV)