About regeneration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
As a newbie, what i know is that the DPF filter is part of the muffler to prevent soot from coming out and polluting the environment. Now there comes a time that the DPF will be full of soot.

My question is, does the truck [mine is 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins crewcab Tradesman longbed 2WD] do regeneration or clean themselves of the soot automatically? If so, how many miles do the truck do it? Or do I need to do something to regenerate it or clean it after how many miles.?

Thanks for any reply.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It will do it on it's own. I've caught mine doing it one time cause I could smell it. If you do nothing but short trips you may get an EVIC message stating the DPF is so much % full. That's when you need to take a drive of about 20-30 miles to get it up to temp and let it burn off.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
It will do it on it's own. I've caught mine doing it one time cause I could smell it. If you do nothing but short trips you may get an EVIC message stating the DPF is so much % full. That's when you need to take a drive of about 20-30 miles to get it up to temp and let it burn off.

thanks man.

I have my truck since April 2015 last yr brand new, now it's about 16,666 miles but so far i haven't noticed the regen if ever it did.

So far there's no EVIC message yet though.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
How often do you refill your DEF? I bought it in January and it is still between 1/2 and 3/4.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
How often do you refill your DEF? I bought it in January and it is still between 1/2 and 3/4.

It takes couple of months or more. I don't drive the truck that much, i only average 39 miles a day.

The last i refilled was in 1st week January this year, about right after new year.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
As a newbie, what i know is that the DPF filter is part of the muffler to prevent soot from coming out and polluting the environment. Now there comes a time that the DPF will be full of soot.

My question is, does the truck [mine is 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins crewcab Tradesman longbed 2WD] do regeneration or clean themselves of the soot automatically? If so, how many miles do the truck do it? Or do I need to do something to regenerate it or clean it after how many miles.?

Thanks for any reply.

I don't have a Diesel any more, however I just traded in an F250 powerstroke. Best thing to do is get yourself an Edge Insight CTS2 monitor. You can program in different items to monitor, one of which is the regen mode. It will tell you when it is regenerating. Another way to tell is the EGT Sensors (ford had them built in) would get very hot, upwards of 1200 degrees. That was another way to tell....