bucking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fulltow646

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab
Engine
6.7 diesel
2009 dodge ram 2500 4x4 6.7 diesel quad cab full bed. When starting up cold in the morning, place it in revese and start to back up. The truck starts to buck and surge. When I put it in Drive it shifts smoothly, no bucking or surging. It has only done this while in reverse. If I stop after putting it in drive and shift to reverse again it is smooth and normal now. I seems to only happen on the initial backup then goes away. Has anyone experienced this situation.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you letting the trans & converter fill up ?? dodge transmissions are bad about draining down when not running.

If you start it up and put it right into reverse, it can give you problems.

See if letting it idle in neutral, not park for 30 sec or so, then putting it in reverse helps

Usually, the complaint is the trans is slipping, but try it and see

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Are you letting the trans & converter fill up ?? dodge transmissions are bad about draining down when not running.

If you start it up and put it right into reverse, it can give you problems.

See if letting it idle in neutral, not park for 30 sec or so, then putting it in reverse helps

Usually, the complaint is the trans is slipping, but try it and see

I'm new to to these newer dodge trucks and don't remember from the 1997 2500 series i had.

Based on your post, the dodge transmission does not pump in park like gm?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it pumps, but it doesn't fill the converter up....at least not as quickly as if in neutral.

it's not newer trucks.....my old 79 RC did it too...in fact, the newer ones aren't as bad

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
it pumps, but it doesn't fill the converter up....at least not as quickly as if in neutral.

it's not newer trucks.....my old 79 RC did it too...in fact, the newer ones aren't as bad

Ok, wasn't sure, i kind of remember the proccedure on my 97 was to check the trans level in neutral, engine ideling. I could be wrong though. That's a long time ago now. Lol