Change diff and t-case fluids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Just crossed 50k kms and had a look to see if anything is recommended and I was surprised to see how long the interval is for changing the t-case fluid, and I don't even see a mileage for diff fluid changes??

What's the consensus here? Go by the book? Or more frequently?

I don't tow, it's a highway queen.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Fluids are cheap, changing diff fluid is super simple. Haven't tackled the transfer case yet though, my previous experience is that it's pretty simple drain and refill. I do it early and often to avoid any premature wear and tear.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fluids are much better synthetics now days, they don't break down. I follow the owners manual recommendations just to maintain the warranty. I don't have extra time to fool with changing oil and detailing the truck :)

There are two sets of schedules there, severe usage for running a taxi service, towing often, dusty or water fording environments. Then the average Joe who rarely uses the truck as a truck schedule.

There is more damage done by human mistakes changing the fluid than extending the change duration. Putting the wrong oil in or forgetting to fill can be hard on gears :)

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I try and do it around 60k-70k. Its a little early, some say, since I don't tow, but I'd rather do it early than too late.

Differentials are easy on the newer ZF axles, drain plug is there. Older axles didn't have them. I took my cover on the rear off any, make sure the LSD was in good shape (and it was, no pieces on the bottom of the housing). That takes a lot more effort to clean off the factory RTV gasket. Not hard, just time consuming.

Used Amsoil severe gear oil, 75w90 for the front axle and 75w140 for the rear, just like the manual states.

Doing the transfer case soon, before the snow flies. Autozone actually has a sale on Valvoline automatic transmission fluid, and their full synthetic transfer case fluid is classified as automatic transmission fluid. Four quarts (doing the wife's transfer case too) for $5 each (regularly $9). Good reports from other Ram owners on forums who've used it for a while, as well as Amsoil's signature automatic transmission fluid.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just crossed 50k kms and had a look to see if anything is recommended and I was surprised to see how long the interval is for changing the t-case fluid, and I don't even see a mileage for diff fluid changes??

What's the consensus here? Go by the book? Or more frequently?

I don't tow, it's a highway queen.

Get Redline and do about once every 100k :)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does it depend on how often 4wd is used ?

I have found that the front does get pretty dirty even though I don’t use the 4wd all summer. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Redline 75w-140 and I find the stuff to be top of the line. I used to do it every 30- 50k but since having more kids I find it harder to get stuff done and I am confident 100k would be fine in both axles. I am not loyal to Redline for all fluids but when I tried it and didn’t need any friction modifier I was hooked.