Nhtsa probe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm thinking more on the user error also.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
The truck won't turn off if it isn't in park.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting

Though there hasn't been any mechanical shifters/linkages for years now......

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rotary shifter has been in the Durango for some time, this is completely user error. How people so ignorant can afford such nice things just ****** me off.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Durango didn't get the 8 speed till 2014. The ram had it in 2013.

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love my rotary shifter. Definitely user error. I really hope they don't go away from it.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's funny people think that a level equals a "mechanical connection" to the trans. Knob, level, spaghetti noodle, everything is electronic now.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
I thought I was crazy, but this happened to me about a month ago. I pulled into my driveway for lunch like I do every single day, put it in park and went inside. An hour later I came back out to find my truck halfway in the street. It was absolutely 100% in park and it rolled back about 15 ft on its own (at which point there was no more incline).

Sorry, but just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it's user error.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought I was crazy, but this happened to me about a month ago. I pulled into my driveway for lunch like I do every single day, put it in park and went inside. An hour later I came back out to find my truck halfway in the street. It was absolutely 100% in park and it rolled back about 15 ft on its own (at which point there was no more incline).

Sorry, but just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it's user error.

Most cases likely are user error. If you shut the truck off, it forces it into park and dings at you. Moreover, there is a little level that merely moves side to side to lock it into place. If that part goes bad, that doesn't mean the shifter rotary dial is " bad ", their are a lot of moving parts with the rotary shifting system. How they can claim an entire 20 pieces makes up one faulty piece is rubbish.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
Most cases likely are user error. If you shut the truck off, it forces it into park and dings at you. Moreover, there is a little level that merely moves side to side to lock it into place. If that part goes bad, that doesn't mean the shifter rotary dial is " bad ", their are a lot of moving parts with the rotary shifting system. How they can claim an entire 20 pieces makes up one faulty piece is rubbish.

If the truck forces the transmission into park once the rig is turned off, how on Earth could it be user error (unless some reports are happening when the truck was still on)?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My truck won't shut off unless it's in park, not even in neutral so I don't know how it could shift it's self it park after I turn it off. you can't shift out of park unless you start it either. I know there is an emergency release but I'm talking every day use. The Durango had a lever for a while after it went electric shift but it was basically a switch though.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I don't have the rotary shifter or 8 spd, but I have had my transmission go into park, but it was not in park.

Yes, the engine would shut off, and the key would come out, but when you put the key back in, the backup camera came on immediately, and you could not start the truck, and it would roll forward when your foot was off the brake (I backed into the driveway and there is a slight incline).

I had to use the shifter release to get the shifter into neutral to be able to start the engine to get it to the dealer.

They replaced the whole shifter assembly (had right around 9k miles on it at the time).

It was acting just like it had a mechanical blockage stopping it from getting into park normally, but they said there was no shift cable or anything like that on these trucks any more. I know that was what happened once on the truck in my avatar, the cable got frayed, and would hit a certain point and stop. New cable solved the issue, and replacing the header collector gasket prevented it from happening again.

Last edited: