this is a pointless post on recalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
useless post. I guess I'm using ramforum like going to confession but....

I got the recall notice on the steering wheel air bag caps, the reprogramming of the air bags and the inspection of the side curtains. I'm still sitting on the notices. I just can't get myself to actually pick up the phone and schedule the appointment to get these done.

incidentally, I assume I have to undo all of the Diablo tuner mods I did for the recall appt.

I'm 2 years late on my Pontiac G8 passenger air bag recall as well. I'm such a terrible person.

maple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea who needs air bags, they saved mine and my wife's like about 10 months :) God is good. But I get the whole unmod the truck take it apart then put it back together not to mention the time at the dealer one big headache.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
In the case of the G8 I guess you are only a bad person if you have carry passengers.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unfortunately, I know the value of air bags. the only reason I'm in a Ram is last October I was hit head on in my Tundra. That's why I'm having my personal turmoil.

and yeah, I'm the only one ever in my G8. Always take any trips with the wife in her Tacoma. 4 star crash rating, same as the ram...

I guess I just need to be guilted into getting off my lazy fat **** and call the dealer...

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't think the recall was for the air bag not working. I.thought it was so it wouldn't go off when it wasn'tsupposed too. I'll be waiting to take mine in.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think the recall was for the air bag not working. I.thought it was so it wouldn't go off when it wasn'tsupposed too. I'll be waiting to take mine in.

Yes. Because going off when they are not supposed to, like at 70mph on the highway, is just fine. It is to prevent the wires from chaffing on the little springs that hold it on. This can cause either scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no need to undo the Diablo tune. Just tell them DO NOT flash the pcm. You will be fine. Get the recalls taken care of. People always put this stuff off. But if it wasn't a safety issue and a need for it to be done, there is no way Chrysler would be doing anything for free.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am the same way. I got the steering wheel recall, called the dealership, and they told me two weeks out. So, since I drive a semi and my days off are random, I haven't called back. They even said they would give me a loaner vehicle to help me out. Just hate taking my truck to the dealership. Dont trust half of the techs they have working on cars.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
There is no need to undo the Diablo tune. Just tell them DO NOT flash the pcm. You will be fine.

Except for the times where this is "lost in communication" between the service manager and the techs. I've read on multiple forums how the owner told the service manager not to do any computer updates, and they were done anyway. I know its a pain, but its probably better safe than sorry on this one.

That being said, I do get all my recalls done, and would encourage everyone else to do it as well. It is definitely a safety issue.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The "diablo mod" is just the program, yes? If so, why just not return to stock, take it in, get the work done, then reload the tune?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me, it's the opposite. A couple weeks after the recall notice, I called the closest dealer to schedule my truck in. They tell me, "we don't have the parts". They take my contact information and tell me I will receive a call back when the parts are in. 3 weeks later and no call. So I call the dealer again, and this time I am told "we don't have the parts", and "give us your name an number and someone will call within two weeks. I's been a month and I am still waiting for that call. I'm in no hurry to get the work done. The dealer needs to put in more effort though.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took mine in to dealer for oil change the other day...

When I picked it up they said they went ahead and did the steering wheel recall for me while they did oil change.

Bullitt279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, it's the opposite. A couple weeks after the recall notice, I called the closest dealer to schedule my truck in. They tell me, "we don't have the parts". They take my contact information and tell me I will receive a call back when the parts are in. 3 weeks later and no call. So I call the dealer again, and this time I am told "we don't have the parts", and "give us your name an number and someone will call within two weeks. I's been a month and I am still waiting for that call. I'm in no hurry to get the work done. The dealer needs to put in more effort though.

My dealer still no parts and I called them several weeks ago to get this thing fixed. Kinda rediculous! Another dealer too far to go to.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer still no parts and I called them several weeks ago to get this thing fixed. Kinda rediculous! Another dealer too far to go to.

This is a big problem that the dealers have. Chrysler releases these recalls, and customers get the letters about them, before parts are available to the dealer. Sometimes they will be on back order for weeks or months. Nothing the dealer can do.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so finally broke down and called the dealer. Wanted to schedule the air bag reprogram, steering wheel caps, and rear side curtain inspection which involves dropping the headliner.

I asked about opting out of the rear airbag inspection. they said they'd have to document that I refused but it would be up to me which recalls get done. I have some wiring for my aux rear lights wired under the headliner into my a switch mounted on my roof console so I didn't want them to bugger this up. Plus I never carry any passengers.

Atleast I won't have a janked up headliner. Now I just have to look forward to my stereo not working right after the computer flash and my steering wheel put back on crooked.