Ram Express 32-Gallon Tank? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
13 MPG? ouch:crazy:. whats wrong? i am averaging about 17-17.5 in mine and about 16 just in town

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
im surprised that you are surprised that people are surprised by this. Do you think that average person on this forum knows anything about a fuel pump needing to stay cool?

Also, the pumps being used in the ram truck is also not a direct pressure pump anymore, its more of a pulse style that runs much cooler than it used to, so the fuel cooling the pump isn't really an issue any more.

To me, a 32 gallong tank that has the "low fuel" light come on with damn near 7 gallons left in the tank if ******* rediculous. 7 gallons......7 GALLONS !!!!.....that was over a 1/4 tank in my silverado that i just traded in. The world is full of idiots, but not 7 gallons worth, in order to keep ram drivers from running out of gas, so that aint the reason.

Whats even more awesome, i have a 32 gallon tank that reads empty with damn near 7 gallons in the tank......and when the lovely little "low fuel" light comes on, i can t use my ******** remote start when its cold a **** out.

Great engineering concept Ram....... oh, and it has nothing to do with cooling a fuel either pump fellas. Its a ****** design and nothing more.

i'd get rid of it if I was as pissed as you. I have the 121 litre tank and with the low fuel light on I usually put 105-110 litres in it. At most that's less then 4 gallons left in the tank.

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad I read this thread. My 2016 QC Sport has the 32 gallon fuel tank. The most I've put in is 26 gallons. I like having a large fuel tank, if they made a 100 gallon tank I'd get it!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
im surprised that you are surprised that people are surprised by this. Do you think that average person on this forum knows anything about a fuel pump needing to stay cool?

Also, the pumps being used in the ram truck is also not a direct pressure pump anymore, its more of a pulse style that runs much cooler than it used to, so the fuel cooling the pump isn't really an issue any more.

To me, a 32 gallong tank that has the "low fuel" light come on with damn near 7 gallons left in the tank if ******* rediculous. 7 gallons......7 GALLONS !!!!.....that was over a 1/4 tank in my silverado that i just traded in. The world is full of idiots, but not 7 gallons worth, in order to keep ram drivers from running out of gas, so that aint the reason.

Whats even more awesome, i have a 32 gallon tank that reads empty with damn near 7 gallons in the tank......and when the lovely little "low fuel" light comes on, i can t use my ******** remote start when its cold a **** out.

Great engineering concept Ram....... oh, and it has nothing to do with cooling a fuel either pump fellas. Its a ****** design and nothing more.

Maybe you need to just pay more attention and fill up sooner........especially if you know you want to use your remote start.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe you need to just pay more attention and fill up sooner........especially if you know you want to use your remote start.

maybe if i pay extra for not one, but two additional features, they should work as advertised. Especially since one of the two features is partially dependent on the other.

Just a thought.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe if i pay extra for not one, but two additional features, they should work as advertised. Especially since one of the two features is partially dependent on the other.

Just a thought.

It should work exactly like the 26 gallon tank. PERIOD! I put 23 to 24 gallons in my.26 most of the time. I've done it for years. Winter time I make sure it has more in it when I park it at night. Never fuel pump problem. I think it's crazy that anybody thinks you should have a 1/4 tank of gas to protect the pump.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe if you actually work your truck you would appreciate a large reserve. At 7-8mpg towing in the very rural expanse of E.Montana it isn't uncommon to go 70 miles without so much as a service station.

On a side note, my Victory Cross Country when it hits the low fuel light the fuel gauge goes directly to E and the Range indicator just shows Low Fuel. This usually happens with over 1gal left in a 5.8 gal tank. The first time it happened it worried the hell out of me.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Maybe if you actually work your truck you would appreciate a large reserve. At 7-8mpg towing in the very rural expanse of E.Montana it isn't uncommon to go 70 miles without so much as a service station.

On a side note, my Victory Cross Country when it hits the low fuel light the fuel gauge goes directly to E and the Range indicator just shows Low Fuel. This usually happens with over 1gal left in a 5.8 gal tank. The first time it happened it worried the hell out of me.

The cross country fuel gauge and light is ********. Probably the only thing I hate about my XC.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Just a thought.

Uh...it does. If you were to take the time to actually READ your owners manual, you would see the things that will prevent the remote start from starting.

If that isn't advertising, then I don't know what is...it plainly tells you the conditions for it to work.

I am pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere, that the remote start would work no matter how much fuel is in the tank.

Maybe it's just me, but what you are whining about is a minor minor thing. I just make sure I don't let my fuel tank get low. Not hard to do at all, and it doesn't cost any more money.

Apparently, most others don't see it as a big issue to whine over either, cuz I know more people than just me & you have the bigger tank AND remote start.

Grow up and get over it.

Did anyone ever consider that the larger tank is the way it is because most people who get it do so because they drive long distances, and drive thru areas frequently where there may not be 1/2 a dozen gas stations on every street corner, so they intentionally put a larger reserve in ??

I know I insisted on the larger tank because I tow a lot, and that means lower mpg, so I am gonna run out of fuel sooner, and if I happen to be in an area where there aren't 500 gas stations per square mile, I want to know I can drive till I find one.

I guess it don't matter, if they did it the other way, where the reserve was smaller, then you'd have someone on here ******** cuz the reserve wasn't big enough and they ran out of gas.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I admit it, my truck is pretty high on my list of things that are important to me. And I am not a happy camper when something goes wrong with my truck or it does not perform the way its suppose to or the way I expect it to. HOWEVER, with all the **** that is happening in the world today I gotta say if I can't get 32 gallons of gas in my 32 gallon gas tank, it seems pretty damn dumb to complain about something that, in the BIG picture, doesn't mean ****. Besides, what are you going to do about it---**** and moan--sell your truck---go to the dealer and **** in their post toasties--!!!!! I think I'd find something else to gripe about, like my muffler bearing went out or something else really really important! By the way--Have a Merry Christmas y'all !!!!
Jay

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i don't understand why people are ******** and moaning about this. i actually appreciate the fact that when my gauge hits empty i still have a pretty big reserve.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I love the large reserve. I'm 30 miles from home to a gas station. Forget to fill or payday tomorrow kinda thing and the light comes on after work on the way home It's nice to know you can get back in the morning.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Uh...it does. If you were to take the time to actually READ your owners manual, you would see the things that will prevent the remote start from starting.

If that isn't advertising, then I don't know what is...it plainly tells you the conditions for it to work.

I am pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere, that the remote start would work no matter how much fuel is in the tank.

Maybe it's just me, but what you are whining about is a minor minor thing. I just make sure I don't let my fuel tank get low. Not hard to do at all, and it doesn't cost any more money.

Apparently, most others don't see it as a big issue to whine over either, cuz I know more people than just me & you have the bigger tank AND remote start.

Grow up and get over it.

Did anyone ever consider that the larger tank is the way it is because most people who get it do so because they drive long distances, and drive thru areas frequently where there may not be 1/2 a dozen gas stations on every street corner, so they intentionally put a larger reserve in ??

I know I insisted on the larger tank because I tow a lot, and that means lower mpg, so I am gonna run out of fuel sooner, and if I happen to be in an area where there aren't 500 gas stations per square mile, I want to know I can drive till I find one.

I guess it don't matter, if they did it the other way, where the reserve was smaller, then you'd have someone on here ******** cuz the reserve wasn't big enough and they ran out of gas.

I have the 26 and can put 24 in it. So if I got the 32 , why can't I expect it to take 30 when the evic says I have 40 miles to empty. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it should be the same . Do you guys think it shouldn't be the same.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the 26 and can put 24 in it. So if I got the 32 , why can't I expect it to take 30 when the evic says I have 40 miles to empty. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it should be the same . Do you guys think it shouldn't be the same.
It has to do with the fuel level and how much of your pump is exposed as the fuel lowers in the tank. In a larger tank, it takes more fuel to keep the fuel level high enough to properly cool the pump.

The light coming on "early" is a way for manufacturers to insure fuel pumps don't fail prematurely.

FYI...if your fuel pump does go out prematurely and your vehicle fails to start or acts like it is out of gas, you can avoid a tow by letting it cool for 10-15 minutes. Then beat on the fuel tank from under the truck in the general area of pump (hammer fist). If your truck starts you can be sure you have properly diagnosed a bad fuel pump.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How far can you go on 2 gallons when towing?

I must of missed the part where it said in the option description the bigger tank was for towing. You can have a truck with a 26 gallon that has the same tow rating as a truck with a 32 gallon tank. I use to drive vehicles with just a gas gauge and no computer or light to tell you that your empty. I could put all the gas in there with in a gallon of what it held.I don't buy it that it takes 3 gallons more to cover the pump than the 26. Only time I ever ran out of gas was when I was 16 to 18 year old broke ass kid. I still think it should be the same.:favorites13:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
3 gallons spread out in a fuel tank is not very much fuel level wise. It sounds about right to me...

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
3 gallons spread out in a fuel tank is not very much fuel level wise. It sounds about right to me...

Not to me. This is my last comment about it. If it's for extended range , why is it that most of the people that talk about this on average are only putting 28 gallons in it. And I can put 25 in mine. So that's like having a tank that's 3 gallons bigger not 6. That's what some are complaining about. It still should be the same. I know I wouldn't bother to pay the difference for the larger tank.It's useless if I can't use what's in there.:favorites13: