Should we all be running CO detectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Right now Ford has issued a TSB bulletin due to Carbon monoxide and 100's of people have passed out behind the wheel of explorers. Some of them were police cars and they have dash cam footage of horrific accidents. I know 4 gens have had leaky manifold bolts, these fumes can possibly come into Rams. You can get a battery CO detector for 13 bucks at Walmart. I believe one of the next automobile advancements will be CO detectors in every vehicle. My advice is everyone should be running a CO detector in every vehicle they have, especially vehicles like 4 gen rams with known exhaust issues. Just think about it ram forum, it is cheap insurance. Especially if you drive your children around. CO is odorless, but the fumes from exhaust are not. So it is the lesser leaks that are more dangerous, because if you smelled fumes overtly you would NOT drive the truck. But say you had a leaky manifold bolt that was just putting some fumes into the vehicle, this could be very dangerous. CO is the silent killer.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
BTW, one of the police departments I believe it was Austin, TX put CO detectors in their entire fleet. I believe 26% of them had CO in the vehicle as proven by their CO detectors going off.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I don't even have cats, doesn't seem like a huge issue to me

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say this is only relevant if ur sitting idle in your car a lot. If your driving, those fumes will be carried away, and not pooling inside the cab. I spose you can never be too safe...I'm a first responder for a gas utility. Sitting in my truck for 15 min idle, my co detector reads zero. For whatever that's worth.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fire detectors in homes aren't a big deal either, until there is a fire. Here was the link, it wasn't 26% but rather 26 units that tested positive for CO. Anyhow, just a thought.

After Sgt. Lahood's incident in March, the City of Austin purchased 400 carbon monoxide detectors for their fleet. This year 26 units have tested positive for the toxic gas and have been taken out of service.

I found this when searching the issue, and there is more when you search broken manifold bolts Ram and Carbon Monoxide but you can't post it here because they are from other forums. Most people get it wrong and call it carbon dioxide, which isn't the issue, we breath that all of the time. After doing a little search, I'm more convinced then ever a cheap CO detector is cheap insurance.

Last edited:

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the Pentastar, we don't have the issues with the manifold bolts leaking.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
for 13 bucks for a detecter? seems like a very small amount of dollars to spend for a little safety.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
This won't be an issue once the electric vehicles become the norm. After that you'll be watching out for hydrogen gas

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It takes a residential CO detector one hr sitting in 60 ppm to alarm. I just donxt see the conditions being there. Maaaaybe for cops parked with cruiser running for extended periods. But, not your everyday person.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The question is " Why are the explores getting fumes in the car or and How?"- to get that much exhaust in the car has to be some type of design flaw-
Even with leaky manifold bolts the fumes are minimual and because of the fan on the radiator pulling air in and pushing it passed the engine bay they would never amount to anything- So I wanna know what fords design flaw was -

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
*Not to diminish the topic, but we do realize that the main vehicles noted are:

1. Ford.
2. Fleet/Service Vehicles that ARE ALLOWED to sit and idle without moving.
3. Actually in some cases not what I would call "Fully Compliant" in the first place.

That said, I wouldn't want anyone in a Responder, Enforcement, Defense position passing out and getting hurt or just passing out and not be able to respond to a call.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ORT, i agree with everything you say, but for 13.00 and a couple batteries, i'll toss a CO2 detector in there.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Come on you ontraponours,(sp) market this like a oil catch can, you will be rich)))))

HA HA HA......:roflsquared:

Entrepreneurs.......not trying to be a ****, but I got a good laugh trying to sound it out (what you wrote) and figure out what you were saying....thanks.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The question is " Why are the explores getting fumes in the car or and How?"- to get that much exhaust in the car has to be some type of design flaw-
Even with leaky manifold bolts the fumes are minimual and because of the fan on the radiator pulling air in and pushing it passed the engine bay they would never amount to anything- So I wanna know what fords design flaw was -

Sitting still, gentle breeze in just the perfect direction, circulates exhaust back to the cabin air intake.

Not anything sinister.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
With over 4 million gen 4's on the road, if this were an issue I am sure like the Explorer word would be out. However, if putting a detector in your ride gives you peace of mind, I say go for it.

If anyone is interested here is a credit card sized unit used mostly in the aircraft industry - LINK

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Recall issued for Dodge Ram trucks due to fumes

Cabin Exhaust Fumes Prompt Ram Recall of 2014-2015 1500 EcoDiesel

My mistake for posting FORD, this is a RECENT issue for Ram. I was just showing how easy this could happen and FORD happens to be in the front. Recalls all over the place, Eco Diesel and also guys with the 5.7 having websites saying they survived CO emissions in their cab. Accept this information, don't fight it, it can save your life just as if your daughters room was on fire you would want a smoke detector. You only have to be wrong once. Especially if anyone is having headaches on long trips with their ram, get it checked.

I'm picking up two, one for me, one for the wife, 13 bucks amazon. I might look for a detector that works better as far as PPM before I buy these. UPDATE... So after looking at safe levels, these cheap CO detectors should be sufficient.

Safe levels CO.

CO

Concentration (parts per million) Symptoms

35 No adverse effects within 8 hours.

200 Mild headache after 2-3 hours of exposure.

400 Headache and nausea after 1-2 hours.

800 Headache, nausea and dizziness after 45 minutes; collapse after 2 hours.

1000 Loss of consciousness after 1 hour.

1600 Headache, nausea and dizziness after 20 minutes; unconsciousness after 30 minutes.

3200 Headache, nausea and dizziness after 5-10 minutes; unconsciousness after 30 minutes.

12,800 Immediate physiological effects; unconsciousness and danger of death after 1-3 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I respect everyone's opinions so I will just add this one thing. Watch this video, this officer passed out due to CO and cross the center divide and crashed into a tree. This is a Ram issue, this happens in Ram, Rams have been recalled. If someday you wake up with a busted spine and are dribbling from your mouth as you bury your children because this happened to you, at least know you were warned. Wake up people.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
One night I was home alone my wife and kids were out of town and I had to work. My CO detector by our utility room went off. It is old and I figured it was finally expired. So I took out the batteries and I got ready to go to bed. I played some xbox as I wasn't feeling tired just yet if I recall. Anyway about 10 minutes later the upstairs real deal wired in CO went off. At this point I figured it must be real and called the fire department and went outside. Well the FD showed up and didn't even hit my front door and CO was above 800. He used his sniffer and found that the exhaust on the water heater failed and was pumping that **** into my house like crazy. So thankfully they shut it off and I had to go a few days with 50 some gallons of hot water until repaired.

Moral of this story. Those machines saved my life without a doubt as I would have went to bed and likely never woke up as I slept only a couple rooms away from that furnace room. CO is no joke and it truly has no scent and no warning at all. I am 100% believer in having them all over my home including the nest protect linked to my phone. I will be getting one for my vehicles as I hadn't thought of it even being an issue.

Side note I think the house was at like 1200 right next to the water heater I cannot recall.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Accept this information, don't fight it, it can save your life just as if your daughters room was on fire you would want a smoke detector. You only have to be wrong once. Especially if anyone is having headaches on long trips with their ram, get it checked.

That bit right there is why I posed my reply the way I did. Not trying to diminish the topic at all because your logic is as sound as my respect for ya.

Maybe it's more noticeable and a concern for us because some of us are old enough to have driven vehicles from the pre and early-smog era. Where NOx fumes were the norm while idling at the stop light or on a cruise night.

Reminds me, shopping today and gonna pick up 3 new house smoke detectors and a couple CO detectors. Re-Roof and another repair are three weeks off and I know the inspector so I don't need to have to explain why we even still have the 1981 120v/BattBackup detector even still running. Ripping the old thing out and go battery units is the way to go. :favorites13: *EDIT: Based on Smiley's comment I may just keep the wiring and run a new style dual detector with a pair of battery units in the stairwell.

p.s. Whassupp Smiley! Been a while since we've chatted.

Last edited: