Should we all be running CO detectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a huuuuge advocate of CO detectors in homes. They definetely save lifes. Been in lots of house full of CO, and the **** is real dangerous. You might trip the detector on start up, as the exhaust is gonna produce high levels right away. But I dount you will ever havr ot go off driving around.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh great...this will become the next catch can. Something not really needed but because it's been mentioned the sheeple will buy into it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Oh great...this will become the next catch can. Something not really needed but because it's been mentioned the sheeple will buy into it.

Yes heaven forbid that one person try to help another person with information about something that has seriously injured others.

We should tar and feather the OP and maybe he will learn not to try to help people any more. :crazy:

Just like the catch can threads, if you dont care why bother post in the thread ? why bother call people "sheeple" and make fun of them ?
Why because you and a few others do not respect the opinions of others enough to either keep your trap shut or give a opinion about something without calling people names or bashing them or what they own.

You are being a classic Douche.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes heaven forbid that one person try to help another person with information about something that has seriously injured others.

We should tar and feather the OP and maybe he will learn not to try to help people any more. :crazy:

Just like the catch can threads, if you dont care why bother post in the thread ? why bother call people "sheeple" and make fun of them ?
Why because you and a few others do not respect the opinions of others enough to either keep your trap shut or give a opinion about something without calling people names or bashing them or what they own.

You are being a classic Douche.

Awww! Did you get your wittle feelings hurt? So when was the last time you heard of anyone passing out in a Ram from CO2? That's right....never. When was the last time you heard of a hemi engine being damaged by not using a catch can? That's right....never. I don't ever recall you getting on to anyone who shares your opinion about catch cans though. If you don't like my opinions then why do you respond to them in such a hateful manner? Is it because you "do not respect others enough to either keep your trap shut or give a opinion about something without calling people names or bashing them or what they own"?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
No I just dont respect you because your a Douche bag.

Does not hurt my feelings at all just get annoyed reading along in a thread only to come across a douche such as your self screwing up a thread just because it does not fit in your thinking however screwed it might be.

Stupid post like you made just drive off good members from posting, over time the forums will be filled with people like you and will be worthless to even post up any good information because if you dont agree you will just bash the thread and try to put people down.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

not really. burla referenced the explorers which are used all over the country as police cars. cops spend hours on the side of the road with the suv running. not far fetched that a design flaw or some issue could allow fumes into the vehicle.
i have spent 35 years years working in a local ER and have treated people who were stuck on the side of the road for a few hours and exhaust fumes did leak into the vehicle. guess i am one of the sheep that doesn't think 13.00 for a detecter is a bad idea. btw, the local PDs that use our ER have already added th detecters in the explores. might be something to this.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One night I was home alone my wife and kids were out of town and I had to work. My CO detector by our utility room went off. It is old and I figured it was finally expired. So I took out the batteries and I got ready to go to bed. I played some xbox as I wasn't feeling tired just yet if I recall. Anyway about 10 minutes later the upstairs real deal wired in CO went off. At this point I figured it must be real and called the fire department and went outside. Well the FD showed up and didn't even hit my front door and CO was above 800. He used his sniffer and found that the exhaust on the water heater failed and was pumping that **** into my house like crazy. So thankfully they shut it off and I had to go a few days with 50 some gallons of hot water until repaired.

Moral of this story. Those machines saved my life without a doubt as I would have went to bed and likely never woke up as I slept only a couple rooms away from that furnace room. CO is no joke and it truly has no scent and no warning at all. I am 100% believer in having them all over my home including the nest protect linked to my phone. I will be getting one for my vehicles as I hadn't thought of it even being an issue.

Side note I think the house was at like 1200 right next to the water heater I cannot recall.

Holy smoke that is dang scary.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Dude, you talked me into it. Just found a two pack of First Alert that run on AA for $22 @ Walmart - LINK

So whatta you think, throw it under the seat?

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Household CO detectors should not be used in vehicles. They are not designed for the extreme climates of a vehicle. It would be unreliable and provide false positives.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So whatta you think, throw it under the seat?

Good idea, it does look like they have a limited life span, 6 years, even if the button works, here link. So after 5 years I'd stick it right to the exhaust and test it that way. They also say placement doesn't matter, so imo under the seat would be perfect.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Household CO detectors should not be used in vehicles. They are not designed for the extreme climates of a vehicle. It would be unreliable and provide false positives.

Can you expand how you know this? Does it state that on the units? I see ones specific for vehicles and I see one lasts 18 months for 15 bucks. ----------------------------Here's another one.

I see the one I bought works between 40f and 100F, so maybe good where I live in nor cal, but lharrell79 has a point guys.

Last edited:

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you expand how you know this? Does it state that on the units? I see ones specific for vehicles and I see one lasts 18 months for 15 bucks. ----------------------------Here's another one.

I see the one I bought works between 40f and 100F, so maybe good where I live in nor cal, but lharrell79 has a point guys.

Yes, manufacturers recommendation. CO alarms are very sensitive, and should not be in cold, hot, humid, etc. A household CO alarm would work for temporary monitoring. IE, if you think you have an exhaust leak, you could use one in a pinch.

From FirstAlert:

WHERE CO ALARMS SHOULD NOT BE
INSTALLED

DO NOT LOCATE THIS CO ALARM:

• In garages, kitchens, furnace rooms, or in any extremely dusty, dirty
or greasy areas.
• Closer than 20 feet (6 meters) from a furnace or other fuel burning
heat source, or fuel burning appliances like a water heater.
• Within 5 feet (1.5 meters) of any cooking appliance.
• In extremely humid areas. This alarm should be at least 10 feet
(3 meters) from a bath or shower, sauna, humidifier, vaporizer, dishwasher,
laundry room, utility room or other source of high humidity.
• In areas where temperature is colder than 40˚ F (4.4˚ C) or hotter than 100˚ F (37.8˚ C). These areas include unconditioned crawl spaces, unfinished attics, uninsulated or poorly insulated ceilings, porches, and garages.
• In turbulent air, like near ceiling fans, heat vents, air conditioners, fresh air returns, or open windows. Blowing air may prevent CO
from reaching the sensors.
• Outside the Mobile Home.
• In direct sunlight.
• This CO Alarm is designed for use inside a single-family
home or apartment. It is not meant to be used in common lobbies, hallways, or basements of multi-family buildings unless working CO Alarms are also installed in each family
living unit. CO Alarms in common areas may not be heard
from inside individual family living units.
• This CO Alarm alone is not a suitable substitute for complete detection systems in places which house many people, like hotels or dormitories, unless a CO Alarm is also placed in each unit.
• DO NOT use this CO Alarm in warehouses, industrial or
commercial buildings, special-purpose non-residential buildings,
or airplanes. This CO Alarm is specifically designed for
residential use, and may not provide adequate protection in
non-residential applications.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well damn, my house is 100% electric. Guess I will put one in the laundry room that is adjacent to the garage....