Temporary loss of power steering at car wash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
My truck has developed an odd symptom. I'm getting a momentary loss of power steering when entering the car wash, presumably from the undercarriage spray.

Steering is regained a few seconds later. My concern is this could happen on a wet road and cause an accident at speed.

I've replaced my drive belt but assuming it could be electrical. Is there a particular harness down low to look for or anyone else experienced this?

Truck details in siggy.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have not heard of this nor have i experienced this. living in the salt belt i use the under carriage wash very often. loosing your PS while moving is not as catastrophic as it sounds. a few of my first cars and truck from the sixties and early seventies did not have PS. the downside is at low speed. 7 mph and under, it will be hard to turn, but doable. i do suspect water is entering a connection, but you may as well have the dealer fix under warranty.

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the reply but I'm waaay out of warranty. ha

It only cuts out for about 3-5 seconds when entering the bay...right when the undercarriage spray hits under the front end.

Had originally thought the belt was slipping when getting wet but it def seems to be electrical and belt tension is good. I'll have to poke around under there. I'd never seen anyone write about this problem before either, it's a strange one!

G160

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi turbo 5.7 Diablo tuned
You wont loose steering from electrical, check power steering level adjust accordigly, maybe youre low on fluid causing tension and slippage on the belt when wet

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its electrical its likely the power steering pressure sensor on the rack getting shorted out from the blast. Its relatively easy to replace, you will have to cut, solder, heat shrink some wires. This may not fix it though.

I would crawl in there and goop up some dielectric grease on and in the fitting and see if this symptom changes.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a vent on the steering rack? If so, is it possible water is getting in while being sprayed? Is the fluid nice and red/clear?

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for all the replies guys, got busy with a cookout last night and never got back on here.

I'll try to check into some of these things and report back.