Torque Converter "warble?" - Star Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Niveko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good afternoon ram owners

I am experiencing a shuddering/vibrating/driving over noise strips symptoms at certain speeds when the converter is locking and unlocking. It is intermittent, and I avoid those zones where it is possible for it to happen. I do feel like its gotten mildly sloppier as the time has gone on. The TC locks and unlocks too loosely now. I feel like MDS mode exacerbates the problem as well due to the lower RPM's but that is just a hypothesis. This had become a "STAR CASE" at one point in time and many members have experienced the aforementioned problem. I am aware that a bad batch of torque converters were manufactured but forget the part #.

I feel like I am prolonging the inevitable by not changing my torque converter, but the time, and the funds are not available as of this particular moment. I am just wondering if catastrophic failure of the torque converter and/or transmission can occur with this known problem?

Thanks

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes when the torque converter finally fails it can take the rest of the transmission with it.
I had a converter fail and ruin the transmission.

If it was mine I would change it with a good aftermarket converter, flush and change fluids and have the transmission tuned.

you can also shift it manually and keep it in a lower gear to help keep it from slipping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Niveko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your reply. The two aftermarket choices for TC's on these forums are the edge and circle D. Any recommendations?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Wish I could help with that but really can't.
My Cummins started having this problem and instead of fixing it I traded it in.

will say having the transmission tuned got me another year before it started to shutter again.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Edge would be my choice. Had one in my 13 and really like it. Improved the acceleration immensely.
Jay