Traction/Tow Haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray662

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So obviously the traction button disables the traction control.. But what exactly does the tow haul button do? I've seen people say they turn it on when running the 1/4 mile.. I'm just curious. Thanks :favorites13:

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
There isn't consensus on this. I tow a big trailer and I've played around with the button a bit. My perception is that all it does is shift the load vs. rpm curve a bit for the tranny's computer. As a result the tranny is a bit more hesitant to shift gears when the load changes. Shifting under heavy load is hard on the tranny.

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I believe it also makes the shifts quicker to reduce wear on the clutches,and holds gears longer when slowing down. Also will block out overdrive.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It raises the shift points essentially letting the engine work easier. At the same time it won't lock out overdrive but will make it harder to go into overdrive, instead of going 50 and being in overdrive you will have to go 55, something like that, when your towing though it might be even higher. Using it used to raise line pressure, reducing the risk of slippimg clutches and making engagements faster so less wear and tear on the transmission. The last thing it does is uses more engine braking.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I use it every time I pull my trailers. Especially the big one but without having first hand knowledge, it seems to change the shift points and block out the overdrive so the tranny won't heat up switching in and out of overdrive.

e-light

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I use tow haul anytime I am towing or hauling a load...I tow about 200-300 miles a week so I am very familiar with the operation. I have the 6.4L with 6sp auto and 4.10 gears. In my truck 4th gr is the 1-1 ratio, 5th and 6th are overdrives. 6th gr is locked out in tow haul, also mds is disabled. The tranny holds gears longer especially on hills. Engine braking is enhanced as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This has basically been answered, but to simplify it (and based on my discussions with the dealership), all it does is make the transmission shift at higher RPM's.

This avoids placing unnecessary strain on your drivetrain while towing or hauling a heavy load. It also aids with braking as your transmission downshifts sooner.
It's also why people like it for racing. Though when racing you should be shifting manually anyway if you want to optimize your track times (though that's just my two cents).

**EDIT**
It should also be mentioned that on older vehicles the Tow/Haul button disabled your overdrive gear. That is no longer the case with newer vehicles as your shift points are electronically controlled. You generally have more gears to go through these days as well.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Power is made in these trucks at a higher RPM, IMO think your dealer is full of it. Plus the guys on the track wouldn't be trying to raise their RPM threshold if this was true.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Power is made in these trucks at a higher RPM, IMO think your dealer is full of it. Plus the guys on the track wouldn't be trying to raise their RPM threshold if this was true.

What are you talking about ?????

1) The traction control button only turns it off ~ 1/2 way. You need a tuner to turn it all the way off.

2) The Tow/Haul button raises the rpm at which the trans shifts and the pressure at which it shifts, thus letting the engine spin up higher before the shift so the torque is better WHEN it shifts, and the increased line pressure lets it shift faster.

3) By letting the engine spin up higher, it also lets it make more power (yes, these engines do like rpm).

The reason the guys on the track want to raise their rpm threshold is so the engine can make even more power from increased rpm than it does when tow/haul is engaged. Tow/haul only raises rpm a little compared to what it could be raised if power was the intent vice better shfiting under load.

The dealer is indeed correct.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What are you talking about ?????

1) The traction control button only turns it off ~ 1/2 way. You need a tuner to turn it all the way off.

2) The Tow/Haul button raises the rpm at which the trans shifts and the pressure at which it shifts, thus letting the engine spin up higher before the shift so the torque is better WHEN it shifts, and the increased line pressure lets is shift faster.

3) By letting the engine spin up higher, it also lets it make more power (yes, these engines do like rpm).

The reason the guys on the track want to raise their rpm threshold is so the engine can make even more power from increased rpm than it does when tow/haul is engaged. Tow/haul only raises rpm a little compared to what it could be raised if power was the intent vice better shfiting under load.

The dealer is indeed correct.

I thinknmore what he is refering to is when you are wide open throttle it doesn't matter if you are in tow haul mode or not, it will shift at the same rpm. Tow haul only makes a difference and partial throttle shifts. In either mode mine is shifting around 5500 rpm.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You know I swear I read the post above mine and it said exact opposite of what mine did but been busting my ass lately so could've read it wrong. I agree with what you are saying TRCM. My post before that makes little sense unless you read the one before like I did.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk