Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noslo_2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Not sure where else to put this did some searching of the site but couldn't find anything. So I know dodge typically has a transmission problem at some point in it life and it goes out. What parts actually fail and are there upgrades that can be done without replaces the whole tranny. Basically I want to know what internals like springs, pressure plate, torque converter I can swap out to help strengthen the tranny.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i subscibe to, "when it breaks, update. now if you have increased engine out put to the point it exceeds the HP tolerance of the trans you can strengthen the trans. in my wifes 04 grand cherokee limited, owened since new with out engine mods, the 545 rfe trans needed to have both sensor packs replaced along with the valleys. at around 180000 miles. traded the jeep in at 220000 miles and the trans was fine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
in the eighties, i would agree, not so much any more. the cherokee did have some trans issues in 2014 and 15, but seems to be resolved. the 8 speed ZF trans in the 1500s now seems to be holding up well. fairly new but longevity, for me, is not proven.