Updates available from dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my truck in for a safety recall and to fix my tailgate issue of falling down randomly while driving. On the last sheet of the inspection it says updates available, pcm, tcm, rfh, bcm, itbm. I am assuming none of these were performed. I am still under 36k miles bumper to bumper. Service advisor didn't mention it to me at all. I should probably have all these updates done? Or no? Truck isn't tuned... Just lift with aftermarket wheels/tires.

2015 Ram 1500 Hemi 8 speed 4x4 crew cab.

Should I call dealer to have these performed? Assuming it's covered under warranty?

6d40a8191666ede6c2bf807de3ab541f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would wonder why they did not do them are ask you if you wanted it done. ?
Also wha6y they are all.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would wonder why they did not do them are ask you if you wanted it done. ?
Also wha6y they are all.
No idea... it doesn't show they were performed on the other paperwork where the work description is listed. Looks like the mechanic who performed final inspection wrote it down that all these were available though. No mention of it to me. Just happened to see his writing on bottom of page.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Under warranty a software update can't be performed unless there is an issue or customer complaint that would be fixed by doing the software update.

So basically if a tech spent time doing the updates just because they were there, Chrysler would not reimburse the dealer for the time spent.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Under warranty a software update can't be performed unless there is an issue or customer complaint that would be fixed by doing the software update.

So basically if a tech spent time doing the updates just because they were there, Chrysler would not reimburse the dealer for the time spent.
Can you tell me what all these are? Seems like if they are going to come out with updates it's for a reason...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can you tell me what all these are? Seems like if they are going to come out with updates it's for a reason...

I'd need your VIN and even then the info I give may not be 100% accurate as I wouldn't know the current software levels as there's likely been a few updates for some of the modules. I can do what I can though.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I bring my truck in for a oil change they always check for updates. And if there is any they always perform the service. Truck is a 2016.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I bring my truck in for a oil change they always check for updates. And if there is any they always perform the service. Truck is a 2016.
This makes more since..

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This makes more since..

Honestly it's going to depend on the dealer and the how strict their warranty hq is. We used to do updates just cause they were there. Warranty started cracking down on it and wouldn't pay us unless there was an actual issue.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My dealer does the same thing.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to ask them tomorrow what there policy is. I would like a couple done. tach_tech helped me out and gave me some more info on what they are.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

The issue dealers have is with the Chrysler servers (I'm told by my dealer). When a dealer connects to your vehicle, their tool has to communicate back the Chrysler server to check for and pull the updates. Sometimes this works very well and sometimes a reflash can take a long time, it is server dependent. My dealer always quotes an hour for an update but most of the time it is done in minutes.

Understanding what the various updates fix or correct is impossible for us, most of the time they are marked as customer satisfaction or enhancement. I have a first year RAM after the electrical redesign, I've had dozens of reflashes and another one to go for the transmission and engine. Over time, many strange behaviors in my electrical system have gone away.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Same here and they don't even ask first they just do it

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My only advice would be that if you have a tune, you better hope they let you know they are going to "flash" your computer before they do it so you have a chance to download your tune before the flash. I'm not advocating lying to the dealer about your tune, I'm just saying if they flash over your tune I think that you're going to have a world of problems-----at least that is my understanding.
Jay

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As of April of this year, Chrysler sent out a bulletin telling dealers that the only reason we should be flashing vehicles is because there is a customer concern. At this point if your dealer is doing them, they won't get paid for them unless they are on a costumer concern line. If they still do them the they don't obviously care about not getting re-imbursed. Or they are dumb and don't pay attention to their bulletins. I don't do them ever unless there is an actual concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As of April of this year, Chrysler sent out a bulletin telling dealers that the only reason we should be flashing vehicles is because there is a customer concern. At this point if your dealer is doing them, they won't get paid for them unless they are on a costumer concern line. If they still do them the they don't obviously care about not getting re-imbursed. Or they are dumb and don't pay attention to their bulletins. I don't do them ever unless there is an actual concern.

I would rather have the flashes done now than need them later when vehicle is out of warranty and I have to pay for them. Seems like Chrysler is just being cheap.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi

My dealer just does them, regardless of whether or not there is a complaint.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My dealer just does them, regardless of whether or not there is a complaint.

They're likely not getting paid for doing them then. When we do a flash now we have to type in why the flash is being performed before it will even start. Before we could just update everything and nobody cared and we'd get paid for it, but that's not the case anymore.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just talked to my service advisor, he confirmed that Chrysler changed the policy. They don't do any updates unless the customer requests it. It is $50 per update unless there is a direct problem related to needing the update and vehicle is under warranty.... he said the mechanic wrote it down to basically upsell so they can make money... he recommended not doing the updates unless there a problem.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah if I don't get paid to flash your vehicle. Sorry bout ya. No money. No flash lol. I don't do charity work hahaha