Winter Plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys whats up just wondering with these freak snow days we've been getting here in Nevada got me thinking is what am I going to do to my truck "Snowden" to make to winter ready. any ideas im thinking all terrain tires and maybe bilstein 5100's for a 2.8" level and if Im lucky a ranch hand brush guard.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tires I agree with---the others listed, I think you're just looking for an excuse to buy some more mod's-----not saying there is anything wrong with that, just chuckling to myself
:naughty::naughty:
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Might want to check out dedicated snow tires as opposed to A/T tires.

SeriousBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Black Tradesman/Express Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan to get studded winters for this season

85216d1489524761-snow-thumbnail_img_4725.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How does Fluid Film compare to just spraying waste oil around in the 'trouble' spots like wheel wells and rockers? I read the website, but I'm wondering what your real-world experience has been? I know oil, if applied right, and not too heavy, does a great job. I suppose it's less messy maybe...??

I was planning on spraying some oil lightly in the rockers of my truck and covering some of the hose under there. Also, I try to avoid driving my Tk on really salty, wet roads (I have a plow Jeep and some other vehicles I can drive for those days)..

Thanks,

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had great luck with a 4 season tire I got from Les Schwab. I believe they are a Toyo brand or at least the tread looks super similar. They have the snowflake on the side so they count as traction tires on mountain passes.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Snowflake rated 4 season tires are good in the winter but a dedicated snowtire will be even better if you are buying them for dedicated winter use.

There are lots of AT tires out there that would suck as winter tires, make sure to get one with a snowflake on the sidewalk. I run General Grabber AT2's and they are good in the snow and the small amount of off road I do.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We've already had our first storms in Montana. When that white stuff sticks to the roads, I plan on parking my new truck in the garage until the GP gets fairly use to driving in bad weather. In the mean time we'll drive the wife's all wheel drive. Some days I would like to have dedicated snow tires on my 4X4 as well as all wheel drive vehicles.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Snowden? Lol. I recommend duratracs. Only dedicated snow I know of that’s good for all year round. Rust proof spray. Splash guards. And maybe a gold coat of wax and gold sealer like jetseal or Collinite 845. Husky liner mats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ADDICTIED2FISHING snowden is a play on words being Native American when i say Snowden its like someone who annunciates would say snow then like im telling mother nature to bring it, cause thats how well my Ram handles it. and I agree with you I like the duratracs after I saw them on the newer powerwagons on TFLTruck youtube channel, and I got my mossy oak all weather mats

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does Fluid Film compare to just spraying waste oil around in the 'trouble' spots like wheel wells and rockers? I read the website, but I'm wondering what your real-world experience has been? I know oil, if applied right, and not too heavy, does a great job. I suppose it's less messy maybe...??

I was planning on spraying some oil lightly in the rockers of my truck and covering some of the hose under there. Also, I try to avoid driving my Tk on really salty, wet roads (I have a plow Jeep and some other vehicles I can drive for those days)..

Thanks,
I highly recommend Fluid Film also. I used it for several years on my 3rd gen and it successfully stops current rust from spreading and helps prevent more from forming. FF is a wax based product which doesn't dry out like oil will over time. With repeated applications it will eat through oxidation down to base metal, which is what we want to protect. Motor oil won't soak in as well as FF.

I started with a few aerosol cans at first and now use an undercoating gun and half a gallon on all 3 of my vehicles to touch up before winter. Our winters in IA are very hard on cars, so I like to use a good amount to prolong my investment.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@ADDICTIED2FISHING snowden is a play on words being Native American when i say Snowden its like someone who annunciates would say snow then like im telling mother nature to bring it, cause thats how well my Ram handles it. and I agree with you I like the duratracs after I saw them on the newer powerwagons on TFLTruck youtube channel, and I got my mossy oak all weather mats

Gotcha! ;). Honestly I researched for months on what tires to get and the duratracs win almost every time. I would read Tacoma forums, Ram forums, Ford forums etc. It seems the general consensus is duratracs. I almost went with BFG’s but after reading the reviews it’s hard not to. I got a smoking deal and had to pull the trigger.

They are actually snow rated and somehow can he driven in warm weather. Now I’m sure the soft compound takes a hit in summer but a lot of my coworkers have them (and I mean a lot) and they usually get 70-80,000 kilometres out of a set. To me the sacrifice of having a good tire for snow and ice is worth the hit on longevity. We are not afraid to spend money on trucks and lights etc... tires should not be a cheap out IMO. My family safety and occasional coworker is not worth me cheaping out. My drive to work can be downright dangerous and the winter maintenance is sub par. Lots of gravel trucks and transports everywhere involved in accidents.

No I don’t have any vested interest in the sale of Goodyear, however, I will not steer someone away from a good product either :).

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only problem with Duratracs is the siping only goes down halfway through the tread so once they are worn 50% they have no winter siping left.

Goodyear makes other 4 season winter rated tires, as does General, and I believe a couple other brands.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The only problem with Duratracs is the siping only goes down halfway through the tread so once they are worn 50% they have no winter siping left.

Goodyear makes other 4 season winter rated tires, as does General, and I believe a couple other brands.

That’s sad to here. One of my main reasons was the sipping.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There isn't a snow tire that is fine the summer. Snow tires use a softer compound. Sorry to burst your bubble, but those duratracs aren't really snow tires.

The snowflake on the sidewall does not mean its a true snow tire.

OP
OP
Devin1349

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This winter I'm also going to be making a winter emergency kit for my truck and my family that will go unter the rear seat, I already have jumper cables, and tie downs, but im going to add things like blankets, those straps with rubber pads to strap to tires in case I get stuck in snow, flares, traffic triangles, hand warmers. I cant really think of what else I need inside my truck? but as far as exterior goes I know I need better tires, better windsheild wipers, maybe buy some rock salt and leave it in the bed. what would be amazing is getting those front bumpers with a built in winch like the power wagon. but most importantly I need to do the primary maintenance like an oil change and fluid top off, brake pads.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This winter I'm also going to be making a winter emergency kit for my truck and my family that will go unter the rear seat, I already have jumper cables, and tie downs, but im going to add things like blankets, those straps with rubber pads to strap to tires in case I get stuck in snow, flares, traffic triangles, hand warmers. I cant really think of what else I need inside my truck? but as far as exterior goes I know I need better tires, better windsheild wipers, maybe buy some rock salt and leave it in the bed. what would be amazing is getting those front bumpers with a built in winch like the power wagon. but most importantly I need to do the primary maintenance like an oil change and fluid top off, brake pads.

Candles, first aid kit with a small bottle of aspirin for heart attacks and some icing sugar for a diabetic should they be too low to swallow sugar you can put it under the tongue. Also I good idea is a 911 knife to cut seatbelts.