Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Lowered


Lowered

more Spohn control arm drama


This is a discussion on more Spohn control arm drama within the Lowered forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by moregrip Beyond the ultimate strength aspect, I'd be interested to get SKWURLZ's input on noise of the ...


Like Tree8Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
 
R/T_Fire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pleasant Grove
Age: 36
Posts: 3,227

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Beyond the ultimate strength aspect, I'd be interested to get SKWURLZ's input on noise of the johnny joint vs del sphere.
Johnny joints can be clanky but its hard to tell how they would be on a street vehicle, my experience with them is off road.... different loads and everything clanks, bangs and pops lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.


__________________
2011 R/T - Motor: Diablo T-1000 w/ hemifever, Vararam intake - Susp: Beltech 3/5 drop, hellwig swabars front/rear with adjustable links, full Spohn adjustable rear components. stock r/t wheels and rubber
14.62 1/4 baseline low 12's current goal
R/T_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Age: 45
Posts: 498

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by R/T_Fire View Post
Johnny joints can be clanky but its hard to tell how they would be on a street vehicle, my experience with them is off road.... different loads and everything clanks, bangs and pops lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
without ever using them myself that's what I was kinda thinking, they're probably comparable +/- to del sphere's in the noise department.

I think SKWURLZ's primary mission here is strength, not sure his thoughts on some clanking here or there.

back in the day I had some Caltrac's on my leaf spring chevy, got rid of them because they made noise, regretted it the rest of the time I owned it.

for the sake of discussion, my gut feeling on this is that, SKWURLZ's nailed it in building his adjustable Heavy Duty control arms but for those looking for lower (read stock like) NVH, some rubber bushed rod ends might be a better way to go.


__________________

2014 Charcoal RAM 1500 RCSB 5.7 8SPD 2WD
2016 White Suburban 1500 5.3 6SPD 2WD
A bunch of 73 Chevy C10 truck parts!
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
 
R/T_Fire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pleasant Grove
Age: 36
Posts: 3,227

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Ya, from my point of view and looking at he built, they are one damn good arm and he is a talented fabricator.

For those that want the best of both worlds i think your right, articulated joint at axle and rubber or poly at the frame connection for vibration

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
DERJ and moregrip like this.


__________________
2011 R/T - Motor: Diablo T-1000 w/ hemifever, Vararam intake - Susp: Beltech 3/5 drop, hellwig swabars front/rear with adjustable links, full Spohn adjustable rear components. stock r/t wheels and rubber
14.62 1/4 baseline low 12's current goal
R/T_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
 
bgray's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Canada
Age: 31
Posts: 441

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 5.7
Default
It's funny that they say they have never had issues. I called 1-2 months ago and gave them a very strong opinion on there product. Asked if they had a delrin or poly option I could swap out, got the same response you got.

I ended my convo by telling Spohn I would be removing the arms and adding them to my scrap metal pile cause their worthless

There is no reason why we would need these bushings. So overkill for the application.

Live and learn, I have a local guy making me adjustable arms with standard bushings
bgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
 
charonblk07's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Calgary, Ab
Posts: 3,747

Ram Year: 2009
Engine: F1-A forged 349ci
Default
Originally Posted by R/T_Fire View Post
Ya, from my point of view and looking at he built, they are one damn good arm and he is a talented fabricator.

For those that want the best of both worlds i think your right, articulated joint at axle and rubber or poly at the frame connection for vibration

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


I had mine setup for a few years with the standard delrin bushing on the axle end and the del-sphere end on the axle. I wanted the long travel end of the arm to travel in a constrained path and the short end to be able to take the torsion. It worked great until I discovered that the bushing housing was rather thin and the delrin bushing didn't allow enough flex which then popped the bushing housing.


__________________
'09 Ram 1500 Sport 4wd Green Mamba- 4.5/6.5 dropped, forged 349 block, cog driven F1-A Procharger
charonblk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SoCal
Age: 36
Posts: 96

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: HEMI 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
without ever using them myself that's what I was kinda thinking, they're probably comparable +/- to del sphere's in the noise department.

I think SKWURLZ's primary mission here is strength, not sure his thoughts on some clanking here or there.

back in the day I had some Caltrac's on my leaf spring chevy, got rid of them because they made noise, regretted it the rest of the time I owned it.

for the sake of discussion, my gut feeling on this is that, SKWURLZ's nailed it in building his adjustable Heavy Duty control arms but for those looking for lower (read stock like) NVH, some rubber bushed rod ends might be a better way to go.
Guys, my arms are quiet, no noise at all. I will tell you that I went this route because my Spohn Arms failed. The locknut popped out at the track, twice. I returned the arms to Spohn for a full refund, no questions asked. I have photos of the failure available. Its scary.

Once set and locked down, my 2" chromoly arms are set and done. Allows full adjustment while on the vehicle as well, as one side is lefthand thead. They are 1" thread rod, wwith Johnny Joints.

I spent $900 on material including powdercoat, and can make sets for others in any color you want for $1200 (gotta cover my time and transport to powder) shipping would be around $30 in the lower 48.

To be clear, these arms DO NOT FIX the instant center issues. I am waiting on extra funds to order up the drop brackets being offered for sale.

With those brackets, I should eliminate all the high speed wobbles at 110+mph.

As for launches, these arms squat, and transfer awesome. Again, they are overkill, heavy as fuq, but also rebuildable (Curry Johnny Joints)

I have seen the Johnny Joints hold over 1200FT/Lbs on built race cars and hold up on offroad trucks as well.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
SKWURLZ
R/T_Fire, J3FF3RSON and Wild one like this.

Last edited by SKWURLZ; 01-11-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
SKWURLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Age: 45
Posts: 2

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7
Default
Does anybody know the length of the rear upper and lower bars on a 4" lowered truck with the correct rearend geometry and centered axle? If so.. then they could order a set of these cut to size.

https://thorbros.com/4-link-parts/4-link-bars/4-link-round-adj-bar-poly-bushings
Lowblack14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
 
R/T_Fire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pleasant Grove
Age: 36
Posts: 3,227

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by Lowblack14 View Post
Does anybody know the length of the rear upper and lower bars on a 4" lowered truck with the correct rearend geometry and centered axle? If so.. then they could order a set of these cut to size.

https://thorbros.com/4-link-parts/4-...-poly-bushings
I think it will kinda vary with each truck. Id measure mine but its at the shop but if i remember right its about 5/8-1" longer than factory arms

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


__________________
2011 R/T - Motor: Diablo T-1000 w/ hemifever, Vararam intake - Susp: Beltech 3/5 drop, hellwig swabars front/rear with adjustable links, full Spohn adjustable rear components. stock r/t wheels and rubber
14.62 1/4 baseline low 12's current goal
R/T_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 192

Ram Year: 2014 Ram R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Default
Originally Posted by SKWURLZ View Post
Guys, my arms are quiet, no noise at all. I will tell you that I went this route because my Spohn Arms failed. The locknut popped out at the track, twice. I returned the arms to Spohn for a full refund, no questions asked. I have photos of the failure available. Its scary.

Once set and locked down, my 2" chromoly arms are set and done. Allows full adjustment while on the vehicle as well, as one side is lefthand thead. They are 1" thread rod, wwith Johnny Joints.

I spent $900 on material including powdercoat, and can make sets for others in any color you want for $1200 (gotta cover my time and transport to powder) shipping would be around $30 in the lower 48.

To be clear, these arms DO NOT FIX the instant center issues. I am waiting on extra funds to order up the drop brackets being offered for sale.

With those brackets, I should eliminate all the high speed wobbles at 110+mph.

As for launches, these arms squat, and transfer awesome. Again, they are overkill, heavy as fuq, but also rebuildable (Curry Johnny Joints)

I have seen the Johnny Joints hold over 1200FT/Lbs on built race cars and hold up on offroad trucks as well.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
SKWURLZ
Do we think that the arms would be too strong for the drop brackets?

Last thing I need is to blow $500 on a set of brackets and twist them completely off lol.
J3FF3RSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Age: 45
Posts: 498

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by SKWURLZ View Post
Guys, my arms are quiet, no noise at all. I will tell you that I went this route because my Spohn Arms failed. The locknut popped out at the track, twice. I returned the arms to Spohn for a full refund, no questions asked. I have photos of the failure available. Its scary.

Once set and locked down, my 2" chromoly arms are set and done. Allows full adjustment while on the vehicle as well, as one side is lefthand thead. They are 1" thread rod, wwith Johnny Joints.

I spent $900 on material including powdercoat, and can make sets for others in any color you want for $1200 (gotta cover my time and transport to powder) shipping would be around $30 in the lower 48.

To be clear, these arms DO NOT FIX the instant center issues. I am waiting on extra funds to order up the drop brackets being offered for sale.

With those brackets, I should eliminate all the high speed wobbles at 110+mph.

As for launches, these arms squat, and transfer awesome. Again, they are overkill, heavy as fuq, but also rebuildable (Curry Johnny Joints)

I have seen the Johnny Joints hold over 1200FT/Lbs on built race cars and hold up on offroad trucks as well.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
SKWURLZ
That's good to hear! I think those drop plates will help alot, maybe they can cut you a set out of thicker metal vs the standard sets they are selling now. Any word on that?


__________________

2014 Charcoal RAM 1500 RCSB 5.7 8SPD 2WD
2016 White Suburban 1500 5.3 6SPD 2WD
A bunch of 73 Chevy C10 truck parts!
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Spohn rear control arms Avgas Wanted 9 05-31-2016 08:26 AM
Spohn Control Arms VegasDragger45 Lifted 2 05-11-2016 07:10 PM
Spohn control arms and Panhard bar thad8403 For Sale 3 11-18-2015 05:55 PM
Spohn Control Arms AceBlackRam Exterior 8 01-26-2015 03:41 AM
Spohn Rear control arm question B1G R3D Lifted 2 08-14-2014 10:42 PM

<




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum