recommendation for rear shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good morning all,
I've thought about upgrading the shocks on my truck. Its a 2015 Ram RT with a Mcgaughy's 2/4 Deluxe kit. Ive decided on Bilstein 4600's for the front, even though i HATE that theyre yellow, but cant decide really find anything worth buying for the rear. I've read a lot of negativity on the Belltech drop shocks. Does Bilstein make a 4600 series shock that will work with the 4 inch drop in the rear? If so, does anyone have a part number?
Thanks in advance for the help.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Can I assume you don't want to spend the money and get the QA1s that everybody's running? As for the Bilsteins being yellow, a can of paint or plasti-dip will fix that, just tape off the rod and bushings and paint away.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As mentioned QA1's are the shock of choice. I have ran Belltech Street shocks on two Rams that are just daily drivers, i have no complaints.

OP
OP

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i know buying anything OTHER than QA1's is a "band aid" fix. i dont drive the truck very much, it spends its time sitting and looking pretty so i cant justify the coin for QA1's at the moment.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do realize that the Bilsteins are not designed for lowering. Meaning the extended or compressed length are not made for lowered trucks. This is why Belltech sells shorter shocks to compensate for shorter extension and compression.
QA1 are premium shocks pricey but well worth it

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know buying anything OTHER than QA1's is a "band aid" fix. i dont drive the truck very much, it spends its time sitting and looking pretty so i cant justify the coin for QA1's at the moment.

Gotta pay to play. By your logic if it just sits and looks pretty stay with the factory shocks untill you can afford QA1's or spend $120 on Belltechs and run those for a while.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do realize that the Bilsteins are not designed for lowering. Meaning the extended or compressed length are not made for lowered trucks. This is why Belltech sells shorter shocks to compensate for shorter extension and compression.

I have the Bilstein 4600's on the front of my 2/4 lowered truck. They ride great & handle well. The Belltech Street Performers & Bilstein 4600 are pretty much the same height compressed & extended for the front atleast. Will have to look up the rear measurements.

Last edited:
OP
OP

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

my trucks on a spindle drop so i need factory length shocks for the front.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Bilstein 4600's on the front of my 2/4 lowered truck. They ride great & handle well. The Belltech Street Performers & Bilstein 4600 are pretty much the same height compressed & extended for the front atleast. Will have to look up the rear measurements.

These are BT Streets vs OEM.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170418-084212.jpg
    Screenshot_20170418-084212.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP

15ramrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

what drop do you have? did your new shocks help gain back some stability you lose when lowering a Ram? my truck suffers from that terrible "wallowing" feeling you get when you lower these trucks, especially when i through some weight in the bed like my dirt bike. im not trying to eliminate the "wallowing" but just trying to get some stability back.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what drop do you have? did your new shocks help gain back some stability you lose when lowering a Ram? my truck suffers from that terrible "wallowing" feeling you get when you lower these trucks, especially when i through some weight in the bed like my dirt bike. im not trying to eliminate the "wallowing" but just trying to get some stability back.

Seems like helper bags would go a long way.

Attachments

• IMG_20170407_151853.jpg
    IMG_20170407_151853.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 32

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have the Belltech 2/4 w/ the Street Performers in the rear. They were great for about 1000 miles & now getting softer by the day. I will be swapping to the QA1's this fall. The front Bilsteins are WAY better than the factory shocks in both dampening & handling. I'm very happy w/ the front now

Like said the Air Lift bags should help w/ hauling a load. I have some on order myself. Mine is doing the same thing right now w/ a load

Last edited:

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey buddy I'm gonna have the rear shocks from my brand new GroundForce 2/3 Kit I'll hook u up with for $100 I wont need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk